Dogomania

Different types of fleas?

Angelboddy

Yes there certainly are different speices of fleas, here is an article for you to read:
[quote]Fleas are insects and thus belong to the order Siphonaptera which means 'wingless siphon,' an apt description. Worldwide, there are over 2,000 species of fleas. They prefer to live separately and do not interbreed. Fleas are important because of their direct effects on animals (and people) and because of the diseases they can transmit. Some of the more important fleas include:

Xenopsylla cheopis is commonly known as the rat flea and is the carrier of bubonic plague. Known as the 'Black Death' in the Middle Ages, bubonic plague killed 200 million people. The name "rat flea" implies that rats are the preferred dinner, but your dog or you will do. Cats are not safe either.

Echidnophaga gallinacea is also known as the Tropical hen flea or the sticktight flea. It prefers to feast upon birds, but will also dine on animals.

Pulex irritans is the human flea. Strange enough, this flea also likes swine. However, if neither pigs nor people are available, it will feast on cats and dogs.

Ctenocephalides felis is the domestic cat flea, but it actually prefers dogs. This is the most common flea that affects cats and dogs.

Ctenocephalides canis is the common dog flea. Despite its name, it also feeds on humans, cats, and other animals.

All of these fleas have their preferred hosts, but all will feed on cats and dogs. With such a huge range of fleas that can and do feed on cats and dogs, it is easy to understand why their numbers are so difficult to control.[/quote]

Wow :o , thanks for the info Cassie, I didn't really realise there were so many different types.

:modla: :modla: I can't sing the praises of Frontline enough. I put the little stickers on my calander and Indy gets it applied every two weeks without fail and I have never seen one single flee on him.