Dogomania

Coutnek, how did you & Freebee make out?

imported_Cassie

Thanks Everybody, but I havent gone yet. My appointment's at 2:00
CDT....exactly 2 hours from now. I'm leaving here at 1:00 cuz she's about 45 minutes away, and I'm counting extra time in case I get lost.

which I do, fairly often....

:lol:

so probably bt 4:00 Chicago time I should be back...

SHE'S MINE!!!!!!

except I dont get her till tomorrow. Freebee was being territorial about the car, so I am going to pick her up tomorrow after work (now that I know how to get there - I went WAY out of my way following directions from mapquest.....)

Anyway, tomorrow I bring her home. Her and Freebee got along ok, Freebs
was more intersted in the farm than the dog. But there was no hostility on either side, except that when her owner left her alone with me she freaked and tried to pull away. Maura and Laurel and Freebee and I all went work a nice long walk, Laurel got to know us and so tomorrow hopefully the
seperation isnt too hard. She's VERY attached to Maura.

Anyway, once she's settled in I'll get pictures for ya all.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

YELLOW!!!

Where the HEY have you been? I thought you were gone...

Good to see you again!!

yea, she's a good dog, really calm, although Maura said she takes time to get used to new people.....she has a few issues too. She has scars on her
leg where a sore developed, and she wouldnt leave it alone, so they left it open and put antibiotics on it and it's healed now, but looks funny.

She has teats - they think she was bred at some point and she was JUST spayed....but once the stitches come out the teats should disappear since she wont go into heat anymore. I dont think you can spay them if they run field trials...

In person she looks older than her photo.....she is 6 now. She also has
some scarring on her ears, which looks like dog play that got out of hand.
This woman has like 14 dogs on this property, alot of foxhounds and every other breed you can imagine. She has a black shepherd mix that's like
14 years old, and in good shape, so she obviously takes good care of them. All the ones I saw in the yard (YARD!!! what am I saying, it's two acres enclosed!!!) were in good health and spirits. and barking, and baying. and howling.....it's a GOOD thing she lives out in the middle of
nowhere - no neighbors would put up with THAT racket - you cant hear yourself think!!!

Anyway, I'll get her settled in here and let you all know how she progresses...She is very shy, and I can see how she would have been hard to adopt out - she doesnt come off as real friendly and she's REALLY attached to Maura.....She's not UNfriendly, just wary...but having raised a number of "problem children" in my day, I think we'll be fine once she gets used to me.

You might ask why I would adopt a dog like that? older, wary, not real bounce-up-and-down friendly?

Because I believe no one else would have.....

Like I've said, I'm a sucker for a hard luck case.....

:)

SHE'S HERE!!!

very shy, wary, checking out the house - she seems frightened, but Maura says she'll warm up and want to be spoiled rotten.

She seemed kinda scared of tge yard, too. I had to walk her around it on her leash. Hopefully in a day ot two she'll come around....

she wont eat anything yet, and Freebee keeps trying to steal the food...
figures!!!

she's very timid, although lossening up a little bit, but she doesnt seem happy.... she hasnt made a sound except for a slight whimper when she couldnt get down the stairs, and when I let her out in the yard she just kinda mills around and snifs stuff - I still ahvent seen her actually "go", altho there are no messes in the house...I thought she would love the large yard to run in, but she doesnt seem to care....in fact, I've never seen her run either....she walks very cautiously and although not tucked, her tail is always down. She wags it a few times when I first come in, but that's it. This dog needs some real confidence training.....

wait, I just saw her trot, so I guess that's a start. When I'm outside with her all she wants to do is stand by me, in a deferential manner. She wont play tug, or fetch, she just kinda stands there. I'm wondering if she was
the Omega in their pack society. She certainly acts like it.....

Well, if I could get her to play I might be able to confidence train her, but maybe she just needs some time. She is older after all. Maybe just takes a little longer to break in....

well, the batteries are dead in the digicam, so pictures have to wait a bit....

but a funny story when I picked Laurel up.

I pulled in the driveway, and was looking at the passenger seat to gather up the leash, and the papers and stuff, and when I looked up and out the driver window there was thie HUGE sheep standing there staring at me. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SHEEP THAT BIG!!! She was half as tall as I am
(5'2") which is pretty big for a sheep....

I got out of the car, (warily) and petted her, she was all nuzzly and friendly. I talked to Maura, signed papers and we loaded Laurel into the car, and this silly sheep is still standing there. Maura called her "Betty".

So as I'm leaving, I see Maura Grab her around the neck and hold her.at the obvious look of surprise on my face, she says "Betty likes to chase cars...."

WHAT A VISUAL!! I'm driving a VW Beetle, and I'm seeing a visual of Betty chasing my little Bug down the road at top speed (dont know how fast that is for a sheep....) and I'm CRACKING UP the whole way home.....