Dogomania

BullMastiffs...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey
Ok, my family is in the process of choosing our next dog. We do have 3 cats and a parrot, and once in a while small children over at our house. We have kind of narrowed in down to a few breeds
1. BullMastiff 2.Dobeman 3.Boxer
Has anyone had experience with any of these Breeds? What are there Pros and Cons? Do they do well with the above mentionedthings taht may be inm oour home? Is there a huge difference in Females and Males? And does anyone have/had 2 or more of these breeds?\
This would be a family Dog also. We have a huge fenced in yardand a non fenced in yard and we live right on the river where there are places to swim.:)
Any info is great

Mastiff

Low energy and excercise requirments, very affectionate although not overly demonstrative, may not be playful enough for younger children. Moderatley good with other dogs, good with other house pets. Good with children. Excellent watchdog, may be reserved with strangers, may bark a bit more than you'd like. Weighs 165-190 lbs, 27 to 30 inches, lives 10yrs. Good natured, calm, easygoing, gentle giant, well mannered indoors, needs room, loyal, needs daily exercise - walk or game. Not good in the heat, doors very poorly as an outside dog due to its gaurdian nature - will bark excessively or develop behaviour/emotional problems. Very little grooming. DROOLS.
Watch for: CHD, gastric torsion and possibly ectropion, PPM, vaginal hyperplasia, elbow dysplasia, PRA, cardiomyopathy. Obesiety is a pitfall of this breed.

Doberman

Higher energy level and excercise requirements, average playfulness and affection, aloof with strangers and other dogs, ok with other pets, very trainable, watchdog, low grooming requirements. Weighs 60-90 lbs, 24-28 inches, lives 10-12 yrs. Intelligent, very alert, protective, loyal, adventirous. Needs physical and mental stimulation or will become distressed and possibly destructive, usually responsive although may be domineering. Needs a long jog or longer walk are strenuouse run in safe area. Again due to its gaurdian nature it does not do well as an outdoor only dog.
Watch for: CVI (wobbler

Boxer

Very energetic, above average excercise requirements, very playful, very affectionate, ok with strangers, other dogs, other pets, average training and watchdog ability. Low grooming needs, not good in the very cold (not enough coat) even worse in the heat, very sensitive to heat. Does not do well as an outside only dog but likes lots of outdoor time and space. Weighs 50-80 lbs, 21 to 25 inches, lives 8-10 years. Curiouse, demonstrative, devoted, outgoing/playful, family memeber. Can be stubborn but is responsive to families desires. Some can be aggressive with strange dogs, good with household pets. Needs daily mental or physical exertion, running, jogging, long walk on leash. May snore, very little grooming needs.
Watch for cardiomyopathy, SAS, CHD and possibly gastric torsion, tumors, intervertebral disc degeneration, corneal erosion, colitis. May be sensitive to anesthesia. White boxers may be deaf (but in my personal experience they also have the most personality which may be bad if you don't like crazy dogs. :crazyeyes: )

If you can provide for its mental stimulation, excercise needs and have a decent sized secure yard and will be able to be aware of its heat sensitivity and will not be leaving it outside for long periods of time during cold weather . . . I would personally suggest the Boxer out of the three.

[quote name='DogPaddle']If you can provide for its mental stimulation, excercise needs and have a decent sized secure yard and will be able to be aware of its heat sensitivity and will not be leaving it outside for long periods of time during cold weather . . . I would personally suggest the Boxer out of the three.[/quote]

Yep, given the conditions, I do too.

• 3 weeks later...

[color=darkred]Hello there.

I currently own a Bullmastiff myself, they are not for the first time owner....although they have a gentle and loving nature, they are a very strong breed therefore need a firm handler.
The males can become very dominant whether they are neutered or not, this is why it is so important to get them well socialized around other dogs from a puppy has well as people etc, females slightly content but still need proper training.
They will get on with any pet depending on how well they are bought up together, both my dogs and cats get on great.
The breed adores children but they do have to be watched carefully for the love and affection they give, it is quite easy to knock a child over with there weight. Children must be taught how to treat the breed with respect and the Bullmastiff will be there friend for life.
The breed does have health problems which can be costly, the major ones are hip dysplasia and bloat that is also common in the Boxer.
They are not an outdoor dog, they love company and its essential they live in the house with its family rather than living outside.
They have a wonderful character.very protective of its family so any stranger that walks in without being invited had better watch out.

Many books are available in good book shops for this breed,
researching the breed is a must so you know what you would be taking on.[/color]

Guest Anonymous

Hey
Thanks for all the info guys! Yah, sorry i have been busy with school and all and havnt replies much. Ok, well, My mom has been tlaking to a Doberman breeder since some time alst year, and is REALLY into getting a deberman. When the breeder was here in our town for a dogshow we were with them alld ay learning, and they let us take o male home for the night and see how he was. My mom LOVED him..And ever since then they have been talking about there option. There is a Doberman called 'Thunder' and one maybe 'Drummer' something like taht and they are sposta be very famous shown dogs. And the dogs that we have in mind are i think both from that line or something(my mom explained it but i didnt relaly understand all of it! )There are two dogs we are looking at right now, one is a male, named Raider who stayed the night at our house. and the toehr is a female who is named Sophie who we havnt seen. They are both aobut 1 year old (my mom doesnt want a puppy and go through the chewing becasue we just got a new house and she doesnt want to have to go tthrough the cropping ears and all that stuff)They are going to a show in Colorado next month and we are driving out a ways to meet them and get to see both dogs. So yah, i think we are going with the Dobermans.:)

I think the Thunder you may be referring to is Ch Soquel's Distant Thunder and yes, he certainly is quite a prominant Doberman. You can see him and his pedigree here [url]http://www.execulink.com/~dobes/thunder.htm[/url]

There are several Dobes with the call name of Drummer so, I'm not sure which one you're referring to. I suspect that it may be the Drummer who is a Thunder son.

If you are considering purchasing a Doberman I would recommend that you read the "Buying a Doberman Pinscher Guideline" here [url]http://members.execulink.com/~korevaar/buyingguide.htm[/url]

I would also suggest that you vist my kid's website. At the bottom of the home page you will find a lot of Doberman specific links. Be sure to look at the information on the DPCA's (Doberman Pinscher Club of America's) website, you'll find links.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

gettin a bit real here....the bull mastiff!!!...you gettin a gaurd dog then? they are fantastic animals but the instinct to protect is very strong.
If your parents aint very strong, well its a dodgy thing putting the two together. Try holding back 170lb of dog that is hell bent on sorting out any threat.
Fantastic dogs that are sooooo devoted to their family.....but real strong gaurding instinct an real strong animals...not for light weights.
Wicca

[quote name='wicca']gettin a bit real here....the bull mastiff!!!...you gettin a gaurd dog then? they are fantastic animals but the instinct to protect is very strong.
If your parents aint very strong, well its a dodgy thing putting the two together. Try holding back 170lb of dog that is h*** bent on sorting out any threat.
Fantastic dogs that are sooooo devoted to their family.....but real strong gaurding instinct an real strong animals...not for light weights.
Wicca[/quote]

[color=darkred]Good Advice Wicca :D the Bullmastiff weighs 110-130 Ibs (males) and 100-120 Ibs (females) but are still very strong like you said[/color] :wink: