Dogomania

Akita..... dog attacks on Humans....many....read....

Guest Anonymous

[quote]First of all, I'm NOT in favor of any breed specific legislations, BUT I do see Akitas in much the same light as the general public sees Pit Bulls, Rotties and such. To be totally honest, there are two breeds of dogs I am afraid of and Akitas are one. I hope this breed NEVER appears in a popular movie or becomes popular because the idea of Akitas being acquired and owned by novice pet owners scares the heebie jeebies out of me.

I'm not going anywhere with that. It was just my own reflection and, I reckon, to see who else I could p*ss off ("don't you know that all dogs are a product of their environment and training and[/quote]

I completley agree with you Horsefeathers.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very leary of chows too. AND I HATE IT when people ask me, "Where did you get Kaleb?" I just ignore them or put them off. The Akita is NOT for the average dog owner.....Lately, some days anyway, I have been wondering if I am going to get through his adolescence without shaking the snot out of him or having a nervous breakdown. Other days, he is AWESOME and I remember exactly WHY I love the breed.

Guest Anonymous

I had an akita for 7 years, and she was VERY aggressive. She bit my son when he went near me, she attacked my husband, she attacked other dogs, she was only controllable by me, as she was a mommys girl. We had to surrender her, after having her for 7 years, because she attacked our neighbors dog and they said if we kept her, they'd file charges. So, we took her to the shelter, told them what happened, and unfortunately, that put her down, as they said she was dangerous. She never, ever, ever, showed aggression towards me, or when I was with her, but when I wasn't around, she did. I really miss her, as she was a great dog with me, that's why I got a Lhasa, I'm told they are excellent, and so far (we have our Lhasa 5 days now) he is great, plays with our 6 ferrets, our 16 year old son, loves kids. Lyn

Guest Anonymous

I don't think anyone that is not knowledgeable about any breed should own any kind of dog, no matter what breed it is.

To own a dog: purbreed or mix means having educated one's self about the dog before entertaining owning one. People should aways make an informed decision.

I understand being afraid of certain breeds. My mom is afraid of any dog over 20lbs, except mine :D . No paticular reason for it she just is scared.
HF - I also have always felt a bit hesitant around chows, probably the only breed that makes me feel that way. Ironically, we just found out recently that the vet thinks Zaphod is lab/chow or half lab half chow/pit but I don't know if I feel any different about chows in general yet.
Kaleb et all - I definately agree that there are a number of breeds that should be experienced handlers (or prepared new handlers with extensive support from an experienced handler) only.

[quote]I don't think anyone that is not knowledgeable about any breed should own any kind of dog, no matter what breed it is.

To own a dog: purbreed or mix means having educated one's self about the dog before entertaining owning one. People should aways make an informed decision.[/quote] I agree 100% with this. Unfoprtunately, it rarely ever happens. The first "cute" dog they see in a movie, that want that dog becazuse it was "so well behaved on TV, why wont it behave for me?"

Is anyone aware that it took almost 4 YEARS to film 101 Dalmations?
Because Dalmations are hyper, hard to housebreak, dont take well to
being told what to do, and dont pack well either. Yet suddenly everyone wanted one....People tend to teach their kids that what they see on TV is NOT REAL....then they go out and buy the first dog they see immortalized in a movie.....

:evil:

[quote]ERRRRMMM has everybody forgotten there is "Snowdogs" out there?....that might start a trend we dont want too [/quote]

I agree K although I love Kodi to bits :buzi:

Huskys are NOT for the faint hearted,first time owner,they need a firm hand and training..........ongoing.....
Kodi is a great dog but give him an inch........

Lets hope the extortionate prices will put people off a bit :-?

As far as most northern breeds go and Chows and Akita's, the worst thing about these breeds (coming from experience of having to work with them!) is they are hard to read. The tail is always up and the ears are always erect...they can be unpredicatable due to the fact of their body language being entirely different. The owner of our grooming facility will not allow any of the employees besides herself to work on chows or akitas...we do groom alot of Siberian Husky's & Alaskan Malamute's we have never had any problems with these breeds...well, except that they hate water and screech the whole time through the bath...but they are usually OK dogs to work with...another problem dog (as far as working on) is the American Eskimo Dog; every single one of these dog which comes into the shop (and boy are they getting popular) they are the happiest little dogs - until you do some thing they don't want you to do - then look out!
As far as Lhasa Apso's are concerned - many people tend not to tell new owners that these breeds where orginally bred to be guard dogs. They can be problem dogs, very dominant at times...many people treat them like cuddlely little teddy bears and spoil them...not a good idea for a Lhasa...we have tried to counsil new Lhasa owners of the importance of obedience and rules (nothing is free rules) they never listen then years later they end up complaining to us as the dog has started biting them when ever they try to make it do some thing it doesnt want to do etc.

I also agree that people should make informed decisions before purchasing a dog...learn about the breed, in the wrong hands any dog can be horrible, I have seen wonderful people purchase the wrong dog for them and their life style and it ends up to be a very sad ending...especially for the dog.

Good post Cassie!!

Most of the northern breed dogs (Chows, Malamutes, Huskies, etc) are
working dogs. They were bred for a specific task....A working task, that required effort, exercise, and a definite pack mentality ruling. The guy
mushing the sled had to have complete Alpha control over his pack...
without it, they would not only not obey his commands, they could seriously hurt him as well...

People dont understand the way pack rules work. It's not always that important with gentler dogs, like Bird dogs, who live to please....and
lap dogs, who just want to be cuddled (although I have seen Alpha
poodles and Pekigneses that would take out your ankle, they were so spoiled) but Bird dogs generally WANT to please and lap dogs cant
do as much damage as a husky or a chow....

But a WORKING dog, a snow dog....pack mentality 100%. Musher has to be alpha no matter what.....And people buy these dogs not realizing that what the dog needs is a FIRM DETERMINED hand, needs to be told what to do and MADE to do it. My malamute mix was a training/dominance
nightmare, until I discovered the beauty of pack rules.

I agree that KNOWING the breed (thru research) and determining how your lifestyle will work with that breed (rarely ever done) is the best thing for both dog and owner.

OK, I guess I'll jump in now... :wink: As the proud owner of 10 sled dogs, (Alaskan Huskies) and one Pomeranian who thinks she is a sled dog :roll: , I can agree that there is definitely a pack mentality with a group this large. The musher has to be in control, but the job is shared with the lead dog. I'm blessed with a fantastic leader- she is 6 years old and her name is Bug. I trust her implicitly, and she knows this. I know I will never have another dog like her, ever. She has led my team, (up to 12 dogs, paired two at a time, thats about 35 feet of dogs!) past loose cows, dogs, horses, deer and even [b]ostriches[/b]. (thats another story- I'll tell ya later, promise) She passes other teams like they were'nt even there, will obey all her commands 100%. It does'nt get any better than that. Plus she's as cute as a bug- hence her name. Someday I'll be able to post some pictures, but she sort of looks like a Saarloos wolfhound, if you know what they look like.

[quote]But a WORKING dog, a snow dog....pack mentality 100%. Musher has to be alpha no matter what.....And people buy these dogs not realizing that what the dog needs is a FIRM DETERMINED hand, needs to be told what to do and MADE to do it. My malamute mix was a training/dominance
nightmare, until I discovered the beauty of pack rules.

[/quote]

Pumpkin, I WISH I WAS YOU!!!

I would love to be pack lead for snow dogs, I love them and my malamute mix was one of the best dogs I ever owned. Once I discovered what was necessary to make him behave, I had no more problems with him.
I agree that the lead dog has to work closely with the pack lead...
Only most people dont realize that...they buy these dogs as pets and dont
give them the physical and mental stimulation they need - they are VERY
intelligent animals....

I wish there was a "fix" for this...

:cry:

That's a deal, as long as I can visit Sydney...!! I actually did'nt have too many people asking for puppies after Snowdogs came out (By the way, the movie SUCKED. Had no relation to reality at all. ) Anyway, I've only bred two litters in the last 10 years and kept the majority for myself, and the ones that I sold all went to working homes, not necessarily competitive mushers, but skiers and recreational mushers. Mushing is'nt all running through the virgin snow under glistening northern lites, tho- it's hard and sometimes dirty work- clipping toenails at our place is a major undertaking- 10 dogs=16 nails per dog = 160 toenails! Feeding , especially in the winter, involves chopping frozen meat at 30 degrees below zero F, hauling water, and looking for poopsicles in the snow. Hooking up for a run takes about an hour to bootie the tender foots, harness everybody and load the sled (or four wheeler if there is'nt snow). But on those days when everything works, the experience is magical. Malamum- let me know when you'll be here; I'll pick you up at the airport in Minneapolis... January is nice in Wisconsin! And Courtnek- you're close- you could drive!

You've got yourself a deal Pumpkin - though you will have to help me pick some suitable clothes (as I wouldn't own anything anywhere near warm enough) and then I'll be all set to help with the chores :wink:

Then you can come to Sydney and I'll take you bushwalking and to the beach.

LOL- I wish I really could just jet around where ever I wanted - I can dream though :D

MALAMUM!! I want to come to Sydney too!! I've always wanted to see Australia, including the bush...(dont like crocs though)

and yes, little dogs are sometimes (not always, dont anyone get offended please) the WORST offenders of nastiness....I call it "Little Dog Syndrome", kinda like "Short Man Syndrome" (ooohhhhh.. that's politically INCORRECT) where they know they are small. and have to try to make up for it by being extra tough....

the two Chihauhaus next door are a good example - they take on my dogs through the fence (yea, like they would win against a 73 lb. lab and a 60 lb Foxhound if it came to a fight) and act like they are the Supreme Dogs of the Universe...it's quite funny. In reality. my 18 lb. cat (one cat equals both of their weights) could probably take them on and win....

hell, he takes on MY dogs and wins....I'm sure he could win over them....

Cattitude, that's it!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i was walking my dog Humby, she is a mutt about just shy of 60lbs, and i myself being a human am of fairly good size. Then these two Chihauhaus came bolting towards us. Not more than 12 lbs total, like they where going to attack me. My dog was so darn confused. She didn't bark back or raise her hackles or posture. She just looked at them then looked at me. I was kinda scared so i stopped walking, and then humby just sat down, with these two dogs going insane 2 feet away. I go my witts back and kept walking, then they follwed us for two blocks freaking out. I drove back to find them hopefuly get them in my car, till i could find out where they belong. They where gone. I would like a small relaxed dog of my own one day, but have yet to meet one. Not that they don't exsist.

I'll tell you why I think small breeds have a reputation of being snappy and aggressive, not unlike the reputation Pit Bulls, Rotties and such have.

I work with sooooooo many small dogs and from what I've seen, the ones who are snappy and antagonistic are the ones who are, first of all, poorly bred (pet store impulse purchases and such) and/or whose owners think that it's cute to let them snarl and snap because they're small. Basically, just like bigger dogs, these little guys need to be raised right and they need to be allowed to be DOGS and not just little furry children. I think their temperament and dispositions have a lot more to do with breeding and upbringing, just like any dog, rather than size (terriers being the exception, IMO... little Terriers DO think they're the biggest, baddest things on the block :P ). Has anyone ever noticed those freaking "funniest video" shows where, on nearly every show, you'll see some knobhead teasing a Pom, Yorkie, Poodle or some other small dog and just giggle uncontrollably as the little dog tries to sever a limb? They tease and poke at them just to make them mean. It's supposed to be "cute." Also, how many small dog owners have you seen brag on and on about how their little Fluffy just don't take any doo doo off anybody? They gush with pride as they brag about how the little monster is just so gosh darned "protective." You almost never see a large dog owner think it's cute to watch their 100+ lb dog going for someone's face. I can't tell you how many times I've chewed someone out (errrrr "educated" them) about antagonizing a little dog. Just last week, a friend with a teeny Chihuahua was telling me how her son likes to tease this little dog until she is growling and snapping. That makes me so unbelievably angry, but it happens so frequently.

One other thing that is a huge problem is their overproduction, again, just like the big, popular breeds. Little dogs are so popular and so marketable that temperament has fallen by the wayside in favor of a fast buck.

I absolutely (but not exclusively) adore small, well mannered dogs... the ones that are responsibly bred with temperament in mind and that the owners don't make into nervous wrecks by tormenting them for the sake of "cute." I guess I'm a little defensive the same way Pit owners are about their much maligned breed. I just don't believe small dogs are categorically evil, but they have such a rotten reputation all because of the ignorant morons who acquire them as really nothing more than interactive toys. It breaks my heart to know that small dogs are categorically labeled as yappy and aggressive. There is nothing lovelier than a well bred, well adjusted Shih Tzu, Yorkie, Toy Poodle, or any of a number of small breeds. Most of them were bred, after all, to be companion animals... no drive to herd, retrieve, swim, or anything like that. It amazes me that people can take what is meant to be solely a companion and screw it up.

Just my two cents.