Dogomania

Akita..... dog attacks on Humans....many....read....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

NEWS STORY
Leashed dog mauls child in driveway

Jack Keating
The Province

Tuesday, May 14, 2002
ADVERTISEMENT
Click here to find out more!

A six-year-old boy was recovering in hospital after being mauled by a 70-kilogram Akita dog in Maple Ridge on the weekend, Ridge-Meadows RCMP said yesterday.

"The boy suffered a punctured lung and was recovering from surgery at Children's Hospital in Vancouver," said RCMP Cpl. Rhonda Stoner.

The dog was not in a fenced area but was tied up on a long lead in the driveway, said police.

The boy went into a neighbour's driveway in the 22500 block 136th Ave. at about 10:45 a.m. Saturday.

"Neighbours were alerted by the screams of the child and were able to pull the dog off the child but not before he sustained significant injuries," said Stoner. "The child received numerous bites and scratches to his upper body, both front and back."

The boy, whose name wasn't released, is doing well in hospital.

"He was up walking around. So we're hoping that everything has worked out," she said. "If the child wasn't able to get away you can't predict what could have happened."

Criminal charges are not being contemplated. The dog, which has no history of violence, has been moved to a fenced kennel on the property, said SPCA spokesman Shawn Eccles. The SPCA is investigating the incident.

The Akita is a Japanese dog, with a massive head and powerful jaws, that has been used to hunt bear and deer on the Japanese islands. American soldiers brought Akitas to the U.S. to act as guard dogs.

"They're a hunting dog or a fighting dog," said Eccles.

"We'll continue to investigate," said Eccles. "You're not under any obligation to have your dog in a fenced area until such time that you're aware that the dog has a propensity or the potential to bite or injure somebody."

"There is a bylaw in Maple Ridge regarding dogs that bite but part of the bylaw is that we have to determine whether there was any provocation."

Said Stoner: "It does not appear to be a provoked attack, just an unfortunate accident."

[email][email protected][/email]

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once again - buy the dog - dont train it or have it trained - let it become Alpha in your household and then tie it up outside where anyone can reach it. Complicate the situation by adding food, and a small child....

WHEN WILL THESE PEOPLE EVER LEARN??????

NO child should EVER be allowed to play with ANY dog without adult,
Alpha supervision. They think the dog doesnt understand OUR body
language? How many small children do they think understand a DOG's
body language? Most ADULTS dont understand it......

At least the law appears to be reasonable about this...and the dog responsible for two maulings needs some REAL demotion and major
training/socialization......

:evil: :evil:

Oh what sad storys :cry:
Those poor little kids, its terrible when things like this happen.
A dog is ten times more likely to attack if it is restrained, add that to a little kid half its height, food, a naturally protective breed and owners who think it is fair to leave their dogs tied outside all day and you have got a recipe for disaster!!! I wonder if there is a common link other than all that which these dogs share? Possibly a bad line that they are coming from - puppy millers?
I don't know, but this sort of thing should NEVER happen, and wouldn't if people would just take more responsibility :evil:

I am thinking it is one of the following:

Someone with "an axe to grind" and/or a problem with this breed.
Someone hoping to start another long fight thread similar to the pit bull ones.
( Someone who has a pit and is hoping to shift some attention :wink: )
Someone who is, although possibly mislead, genuinely concerned and trying to pass on info, although why here I don't know.
Someon who has been injured by or has had a family member injured by this breed and is naturaly feeling angry/sad/confused/distraught and needed somewhere to vent.

If its the later 2 then fine at least there is some point in posting and sharing and discussing. If its the former 2 then I have no interest, they can go look elsewhere as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, Special....

we have had a number of people come onboard and throw things arounf that just starts a never ending argument. You'll see that in a lot of the Pit Bull threads.....I guess we have gotten kinda wary of what we call "trolls"
(people who just want to start trouble, not really inform or be informed).

Please, if you will, even though we have seemed somewhat harsh,
tell us what the purpose of the post was. We back up true dog lovers, who want to help, and protect, and teach.....

We can always learn from other people's posts...and if there is a something you can teach us, I for one would be more than willing to learn it. I am not familiar with the Akita Breed, and if you can teach me anything, I'll be happy to learn.

[quote]Hello... can't someone just post on here... without being labelled?[/quote]

Certainly you can post here. Will people have opinions, responses, questions, agree and/or disagree with what you post? You bet. No problem - right?
If you feel I've labelled you AND if for some reason this offends you then you have my sincere apologies. But if you came here to slag some breed or start a long thread on the destruction of a breed, you aught to know that some people will be annoyed. Now its your perogitive to post anyway and that is cool but its other peoples perogitive to be annoyed and thats cool too.
If you came here to share a paticular point of view or specific point than all the better, and that is what I want to know.
Do want BSL?
Do think there are irrisponsible breeders/handlers?
Do you feel this breed has traits that need to be corrected through breeding?
Have you suffered a loss/injury and need to share?

Since I'm so good at p*ssing people off, I might as well spit this out.

First of all, I'm NOT in favor of any breed specific legislations, BUT I do see Akitas in much the same light as the general public sees Pit Bulls, Rotties and such. To be totally honest, there are two breeds of dogs I am afraid of and Akitas are one. I hope this breed NEVER appears in a popular movie or becomes popular because the idea of Akitas being acquired and owned by novice pet owners scares the heebie jeebies out of me.

I'm not going anywhere with that. It was just my own reflection and, I reckon, to see who else I could p*ss off ("don't you know that all dogs are a product of their environment and training and...???"). :-?

[quote name='Michele']Horsefeathers: any breed can attack. [/quote]

Well, YEAH. Still, it's beside the point. I have never met an Akita yet that wasn't at least iffy at best. Not saying they aren't out there. I just haven't met one.

If I have to have a breed prejudice, Akitas (and one other breed) are it. I'm not saying I think they should be banned, or any of that crap. I just hope they never become popular enough that ignorant masses start acquiring them and the Akita show people I've met are the first to say that an Akita in the hands of an inexperienced owner is dangerous.

We all know this is a terible thing,When a dog bite's or attacks in this way.
I feel sorry for the kids as they dont really know any better. But the adults should.We have training schools to teach our dog's how to behave.Well I think it's time we also had some sort of training for adults,so that they teach there kids not to even go near a dog with out some one being with them.Also some owners who train there dog to be nasty dont desevre to have them because it's always the dog that has to pay the price with it's live,we dont punish human's with there live when they take a live.I'm not saying the dog should live but i am saying it's not always the dogs fault.Iwas attacked by a dog 30yrs ago and i am still paying the price for that,But I can tell you know it wasnt the dog's fault.It was all down to a human mistake,not mine I must add. :o .SO I do know frist hand that the dog is not always to blame. Lets hope the kids are ok.

A friend of mine breed Akita's, she will never ever let a first time akita owner purchase a male :o

In my opinion ( and this is my opinion only)ALL THE PROBLEMS THAT [color=red]ALL [/color]of the dangerous labeled breeds have are to do with their unscrupulous owners and irresponsible breeders.

Some breeds get popular amongst the scum of this world :wink: because they are big hard looking or strong scary dogs, these owners
make the dogs into what they want, they basically do not care how they turn out, the iffyer the better. Then they breed them to produce more mentally unsound specimens, and either sell them or swop them to anybody, these new owners are just as ignorant and off we go again.

Yes any dog can turn, i remember reading somewhere that golden retrievers have the highest bite rate of all purebred dogs :o
But then the press only really want to inform the masses about the big bad breeds out there.

In my opinion It is irresponsible breeders fault, breeding purely for money or because they can, selling these pet quality dogs cheaply lower than the responsible breeders price, selling them to who ever comes along. Not vetting homes, not caring where the dog will live, or if the owners work or not.

It is a sad old state of affairs, and it is terrible when innocent partys get attacked, but if the press would only educate the masses it may well help.
instead of starting fear factors, even now in the uk you will see someone walk across the road when they see someone walking a rottie.

Guest Anonymous

Horsefeathers,

I'd like to know what other breed your afraid of? (Just curious)

I am afraid of any dog I don't know. After all any dog can bite or attack out of different types of fears ( territorial, domination, odours etc.)l

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']I hope this breed NEVER appears in a popular movie or becomes popular because the idea of Akitas being acquired and owned by novice pet owners scares the heebie jeebies out of me. [/quote]

You guys know that I own an Akita and have owned Akitas for many years. That being said I AGREE 100% with horsefeathers. I cringe when uneducated people see Kaleb and decide they want an Akita. Kaleb is a wonderful ambassador for the breed. BUT I have worked my butt off socializing and training him. Even though, he is still an Akita and I am always on guard. I am very serious about the way I let people interact with him because of the potential....I know no matter what the training, no matter what amount of socialization, given the right set of circumstances, he could bite. I would rather make Joe-Blow-Public think that I am a nazi-wacko and make him mad instead of allowing that person's interaction with Kaleb escalate to a potentially dangerous situation. IE -- interact with the dog obeying MY RULES or GET LOST. And I NEVER allow Kaleb to interact with small children unless I have him on a collar and leash. There are just too many uncertainties.

*SIGH* I hate reading about dog attacks. My heart goes out to those families.

[quote name='Kaleb124'] I cringe when uneducated people see Kaleb and decide they want an Akita. [/quote]

See, that is what worries me. Akitas just look like big ol' fluffy teddy bears. They don't LOOK menacing at all and so many people are sold on LOOKS. All it would take is for some movie (101 Akitas? :o ), or some other such glamorization and ignorant people would start buying them in bulk. Can you imagine what would happen? It gives me the creeps just thinking about it. I'm sure they are wonderful dogs for those who love and understand them. I am just not one of those people. They flat out scare me. Even some of the well bred Akitas from show people scare me. If that "bad-ass" reputation ever really gets out there, I fear the kind of people who will be taking these dogs on. Pit Bulls would probably get a break from the media, for sure. These are definitely not the dog for the novice pet owner.

[quote name='Your Special Guest']Horsefeathers,

I'd like to know what other breed your afraid of? (Just curious)

[/quote]

[size=2]Chows.[/size] :oops:

Horsefeathers! wrote:
[quote](101 Akitas? :o )[/quote]

:lol:

Seriously, when 101 Dalmations came out, the breed was almost ruined! The sight of cute little spotty puppies melted hearts around the world, and ignorant and irresponsible people rushed to the Pet Stores *shudder* and BYB's *shudder again* and bought the cute little puppies NOT realizing that Dals are very high in energy, and are destrucive when bored. The shelters where filled with Dals no doubt! :(

If a person wants to make a movie about dogs, I think the best choice would be a mix. That way no irresponsible owners will make a mistake and get a breed that does not fit them at all...