Dogomania

Boxer or Mastiff?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey gang...new to the forum. Currently in the process of building a house and want to get a dog. I have narrowed it to either a boxer or a mastiff (english, although I am not too sure on the differences in the bull and english). I also have 2 cats who are also. The cats have lived with bassett hounds, shitzus and a rottweiler and got along great. I wanted to make sure that if I bring a pup into the house it is one that will not have a problem with two small cats running around. I only say this because a friend of mine had a chow that tried to eat all the cats in the house, so I did not know if certain breeds are more likely to hate the cats. Any advice? I definitelylike these two breeds, but cant decide. I will also have it around my girlfriend's corgi, which acts tough at times, and didnt want to worry about it biting the little dog in half...=). Thanks for the forum!

Welcome to the forum! :)

To answer your question, I would say I have no idea. :oops: I am not an expert on either breeds, but a good thing to do is to write both the breeds names on a piece of paper, then under their names have two coloumns, "Cons" and "Pros". Then write the cons and pros of each, it should make your choosing much clearer and easier! :wink:

Also, and this is advice from someone who has experienced it, I would not suggest getting a puppy in the midst of moving. I got my then 6 month Golden, about a week after moving. There where boxes everywhere, men still working on some stuff, etc. etc. I nervous dog, or small puppy, or any dog for that matter, will need to be introduced to it's new home in a calm, quiet manner. Men working, or boxes everywhere, etc. Will scare a puppy. Also, you could also be stressed by moving. Papers, money, problems. I would say wait a couple of months, until your settled, have time for the puppy, and the house is queit and calm. Of course, I have no idea of your status. Your house probably will be calm, no boxes or anything. So it really depends on how everything goes... :wink:

Good luck! And please keep us updated! :D

[color=darkred]Hello there.

The difference between a Bullmastiff and Mastiff is there height basically, they both have the same temprement has the Bullmastiff was originally created from the Mastiff and Bulldog.
I currently own a Bullmastiff myself, they are not for the first time owner....although they have a gentle and loving nature, they are a very strong breed therefore need a firm handler.
The males can become very dominant whether they are neutered or not, this is why it is so important to get them well socialized around other dogs from a puppy has well as people etc.
They will get on with any pet depending on how well they are bought up together, both my dogs and cats get on great.
The breed does have health problems which can be costly, the major ones are hip dysplasia and bloat that is also common in the Boxer.
They are not an outdoor dog, they love company and its essential they live in the house with its family rather than living outside.
They have a wonderful character.very protective of its family so any stranger that walks in without being invited had better watch out.
You mention you had a Rottweiler, well there isn't any difference in size to the Bullmastiff but I am not going to say that this breed will be right for you. I suggest you talk to has many breeders as you can and see there dogs to find out if the breed is right for you and buy a few books of the breed, there are so many do's and don'ts.

The ones I recommend are:

Bullmastiffs Today
The Bullmastiff.

There are more that you might find interesting, these are a few I would go for.
These can be found on Google or Jeeves.

Example of both breeds

Mastiff (top)
Bullmastiff (bottom)
[img]http://www.thedogoforlok.com/FMBMC.GIF[/img]

Good Luck![/color] :wink:

[size=7][color=darkred]These books are recommended[/color][/size]
THE BULLMASTIFF MANUAL
Author: Bill Walkey
Publisher: T.F.H. Inc.
Style#: GB-022
Price: $29.95 Plus shipping and handling

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bred for strength and as an ally of the gamekeeper in his war against poachers, fiercely loyal to its family yet with a loving and kind temperament, the Bullmastiff is truly a 'gentle giant' As one of the largest and heaviest dogs in the world, naturally a fearless protector, the Bullmastiff needs to be understood, treated and trained properly In return it will give its owner many years of loyalty, love protection, warmth and affection.
Bill Walkey is especially qualified to write about this impressive dog. He has bred 36 champions under his Shayla prefix, has been Breeder of the Year four times and bred the only Bullmastiff to win both the Canadian and the American National
Specialty Shows. This is also the only Canadian dog to win the ABA Specialty (National). Bill has judged in Britain, Denmark, Malta, the United States and Canada, and is one of the judges for the Speciality Show in Finland in 1999.

[img]http://www.ckcusa.com/b_breeds/gb-bullmastiff.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.jemarpet.com/Catalog/NewBooks/BK-Bullmastiff.tif.JPG[/img]

• 1 month later...

welcome! i'm sorta new here too :wink:
well, i had a rottie and i have a boxer...i always socialized them with other animals and people and they were great with everyone. if you're getting a puppy the idea is to keep them all happy...it may be the old timers have the problem, not so much the new "guy"....but you can't tell till you get him/her 'cause just like people, each has their own personality....

i love boxers and mastiffs.....they're both great -- i love all dogs!!! lol! especially big ones lol... =^..^= ....but being i am a boxer owner i have to say BOXER! they are great with children too!

p.s. like i said i had a rottie and he was great so you can never tell. it's how YOU bring them up that counts! good luck.

If you have the space then a mastiff. They are amazing animals. I had a Bull mastiff in my class once for Obedience, and he was so willing to learn! Boxers are also great but extremely energetic so only if you can really dedicate the time for training and plenty of runs. English mastiffs are fab too, but stronger than Bulls. My friends parents have a boarding kennels in Fife in Scotland and last year I was there helping them for a bit. We had this big English called Homer in, and wow what a dog, and such a character! He had this wee tufty bit of fur on his head (just like Homer simpson!), and was totally adorable and a big sop, but so strong!

• 2 months later...

BOXER!!!!! I love boxers, there nice, palyful, animals, but on teh other hands, mastifs are pretty awsoem to... MAstiffs are big adn if you have all the space matiffs are great pets. BUt if you dont have a lot of room Boxers are one of my favs
But eitehr way you have to show us pictures!!!!

Guest Anonymous

i love both they are beautiful dogs! but the boxer in our puppy class.. well all 3 of them are VERY VERY active ( they are all over a year ) they are on the go all the time!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I would say Boxer because I am biased after having been owned by the breed for several years now...

I like the advice Rowie-the-Pooh put about listing the qualities of each on paper. I have never owned a Mastiff but it looks like Shannon_C got you off to a great start with the breed!

For the Boxer I would recommend taking the following into consideration.

1. Are you an outdoorsman? Boxers do not tolerate extreme hot or extreme cold. Actually our oxer Max does not tolerate anything above 72 or below 70 degrees :wink:

2. What are your plans for exercise. Boxers are very intelligent and active so they need a good amount of mental and physical exercise. Being a larger breed they are not able to get the energy all out indoors so you have to take into consideration of if you have time to walk the pup each day and also spend time training each day.

3. Do you want a serious breed? Although Boxers are workers they are also clowns. Even those awarded schutzhound have been known to give a good kidney bean when preparing to get petted. Some owners do not like this quality, others like me love it and would have it no other way!

4. If you have children I must say Boxers are a great breed. As with any breed, you must put forth the effort to train, train, train but the Boxer is a great family pet. All of the Boxers I have owned have seemed to sense a child is small and would typically lie on the floor allowing the child to e taller and play gently.

5. Do you mind a 60 pound lap dog? For me, I would have it no other ay. Boxers are very affectionate and need constant interaction form its family. If you do not want a pup that follows you from room to room and can not stand it when it is not by your side then you might want to look into another breed.

Just a few traits of the Boxer to think about. If you have any other questions about the breed let me know and keep us updated on your decision.

PS KathyM, where did you get the signature, that is one of the best ones I have seen!