Dogomania

Food

imported_Lina

I'm kind of new to the whole doggie world. I mean, I grew up with dogs, but Oscar is the first pup that I am making the decisions about. and loving and cuddling ....

You all have been a fantastic help to me thus far and I just wanted to say thanks. And, the SPCA had Oscar on Iams Puppy so I kept him on it and he does have a pretty sensitive tummy .... but it is really junk food, huh?

I have to buy puppy food today and I have been thinking about switching to something better .... so do they have the wellness and other ones you all talk about at places like petsmart? and - i know there's no answer to this -- but which is th best - without breaking the bank?

Midori - PetSmart and similar big chains are not so good about stocking the healthier, natural foods that everyone here raves about. They absolutely do not sell Wellness, Innova, Canidae, Natural Balance, etc.

I don't know about where you live, but here in Philadelphia the PetSmarts have just started carrying one brand that does look like it's on par with those mentioned above. It's a fairly new brand called Blue, made by Blue Buffalo (there is no buffalo in the food). Just looking at the ingredient list should show you how much better it is than Iams and most of the other stuff sold in PetSmart and grocery stores (i.e. no corn, wheat, soy or other fillers or allergens). Here's Blue's puppy formula ingredient list and a link to Blue's website, they look pretty serious about making a good product:

[url]http://www.bluebuff.com/[/url]

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary Extract), Menhaden Fish Meal, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Alfalfa, Ground Flax Seed, Herring Oil, Sea Salt, Barley Grass, Whole Eggs, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Whey, Calcium Phosphate, Dried Kelp, Whole Garlic Cloves, Lecithin, Parsley, Spirulina, Yucca Schidigera, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bacillus Subtilis, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcus Faecium, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Turmeric, Vitamin E Supplement, Arginine, Lysine, Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Natural Color, Beta Carotene, Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Potassium

Crude Protein 26.0% min
Crude Fat 15.0% max
Crude Fiber 4.0% max
Moisture 10.0% max

Thanks!

I've been doing internet research since yesterday and you guys are right! wow, i never knew ....

i found some smaller pet stores in the city that i'm going to check out, but they do have the blue at my petsmart, so i'm going to look into that one as well. convenience may be an issue - the petsmart is right by my office and i despise city traffic, but we'll see ....

[quote]If you can change, I would. This food actually made the WDJ List of Least Recommended Food. There are much better foods than this. It is your decision though.[/quote]

Thanks, MM! I think I will. she has been not eating much lately, and now has taken to stealing food off the table and counter when we turn our backs! VERY frustrating, when she has a full dish!!:evil:
I think she doesn't like the taste of it, either.
Can you tell me, what is the WDJ List? (sometimes I feel so ignorant on here, thank you all for educating me!!) :oops:
I know my pet store carries Innova and Natural Balance, so I may try one of those.

thanks all! i went to a few stores this weekend, but they're all on the other side of the city and knowing me -- i'll never get there and poor oscar will starve!

so, we're going to try the new blue food you can get at petsmart. so now the next step. i give oscar a little plain yogurt every once and again and he gets an egg something like once a week .... what else is good for him? and then do i need to adjust the amount of kibble he gets to give him that stuff?

Thanks!

I was having problems with Colby and dry food for a little while. SHe liked everything for about a month and she is very picky.
I did some research and with some advice and help from people in Dogo I switched her to a BARF/Raw Diet 3 weeks ago and she is doing great.

She is very happy, she loves her food, her coat is shinnier, no more bad breath and she went from 45 minutes to finish eating to 5 minutes.
I would recommend this diet to anyone. I found someone who makes these meals, so I don't have to do all the blending myself.

[quote name='mommacat'][quote]If you can change, I would. This food actually made the WDJ List of Least Recommended Food. There are much better foods than this. It is your decision though.[/quote]

Thanks, MM! I think I will. she has been not eating much lately, and now has taken to stealing food off the table and counter when we turn our backs! VERY frustrating, when she has a full dish!!:evil:
I think she doesn't like the taste of it, either.
Can you tell me, what is the WDJ List? (sometimes I feel so ignorant on here, thank you all for educating me!!) :oops:
I know my pet store carries Innova and Natural Balance, so I may try one of those.[/quote]

WDJ (Whole Dog Journal) is a publication/magazine for dog owners. They do an analysis of many different dog foods and then make a list of the ones they recommend and ones they dont. Both Innova and Natural Balance are great foods and I highly recommend them both.

Does you dog have any allergies or anything? Natural Balance makes and excellent Duck and Potatoe formula that is fantastic for allergies. However, if you dog does not have allergies you should not use the alternative protein sources. They can develop allergies at any time and you will want to save those special proteins for just in case. That is why I am not an advocate of Lamb and Rice. Too many people feed it and now there are alot of lamb allergies and people are having to turn to venison and duck to find food their dogs aren't allergic too. So try to stick to Chicken or Beef if you can.

Lina I presume your refering to propac large breed adult dog food. Here are the ingredients:

Chicken Meal, [color=blue]Ground Yellow Corn[/color], [color=darkblue]Rice Flour, Brewers Rice[/color], Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), [color=blue]Dried Beet Pulp[/color], Natural [color=darkblue]Flavoring[/color], Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Yeast Culture, [color=red]Salt[/color], Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine Hydroxyanalogue, L-Lysine, Vitamin E Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, D-activated Animal Sterol (source of Vitamin D3), Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ascorbic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Zinc Proteinate, Manganous Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Copper Proteinate.

There are some questionable ingredients in here and SALT. It's certainly not the best food out there but at the very least it starts with meat and has no byproduct.