Dogomania

A question

Guest Anonymous

For an adult dog, it's doable, but not fair to the dog without companionship of some kind. I have a dog and a cat, and they are alone for 10 hours a day, but they keep each other company. I am also planning on getting another dog.

It's NOT doable with a puppy. They need to go out every three or four hours.

Definately not doable with a puppy..! I take my puppy out every 3 hours (including at night..) We take her our at 3, 6, 9, 12, etc EVERY day. Eventually we'll start prolonging this. Shes only 9 weeks. I'm home all day and my fiance is home all night. (I have night classes in college)

Grown dogs might be a lot better for it. You should make sure to chose a breed that isn't really energetic and good indoors.

It helps if you can get someone to (or pay someone to) come in and let them out half way through the day. I suppose you could keep up pup that way but you'd have to get someone to come in way more (3-5x a day depending on age) or just stay and dogsit and it would cost quite a bit.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of a puppy as I was told you crate the puppy when you are at work. Though I would love a puppy it does not seem fair to leave the puppy at home all day. I don't see how the dog can hold it for 10 hours.

I am presently grieveing over the death of my cat and preparing for the worst with my other cat who is also very sick.....both Siberian cats gotten from a obviously not very good breeder. They were sisters just over 4 years old.

I grew up with dogs and thought that might be a good idea to make a switch, but it seems like a single person person away from the house for 10 hours a day can work for cats and probably not dogs....even though my sister is pressuring me to get a dog.

I would check out the shelters near you - a puppy, even crated, cant make it that long. There are lots of already housebroken dogs in the shelters that badly need homes. Cats, too. Although with a cat, you could get a kitten and it would be ok providing the dog was ok with it.

check out this site:

[url]http://www.petfinders.com[/url]

they have dogs from all over the place, and cats too.

Good luck!
:D

If you love cats, go for them! My sister loves dogs, and I love cats. My sis just got 2 kittens and I want them and she won't give me one, lol! So I tease her with my puppy. It's all in fun though.
There is PLENTY of kittens in shelters everywhere. Because there is a lot of homeless cats on the streets. They impregnant or get pregnant because of that. A kitten would be easier for your hours.
I still highly discourage you from getting a puppy. If you 'must' have a dog, get a full-grown dog.

Guest Anonymous

I agree with the others. However, even with a full-grown dog, it would be best if you could come home at lunchtime or pay someone to let the dog out once a day. Ten hours is awhile!

If that isn't a possibility for you, PLEASE consider a kitty -- especially an adult! They are the hardest animals by far to find homes for. One month, my rescue group kept count of the animals we couldn't take in (we're a pretty small group), and SIXTY of them were adult cats! We are just constantly low on foster homes, as adult cats don't integrate as well with other animals as do dogs and kittens.

Does your sister live near you? Maybe you could get her to look after them during the day? I say them as I beleive if a dog isn't going to have human company for 10 hours a day it needs some sort of company, and another dog is probably the best sort. I'm with everyone else that rescuing an adult dog would be your best bet. If not, there are plenty of nice cats out there, breeds like the Devon Rex and the Siamese are so dog like if you didn't know better you wouldn't notice the difference! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

At this point I am leaning back toward another cat. As soon as the time seems right I may get a ragdoll kitten and that would only be if I don't find an appropriate kitten from our local shelter. We are still both grieving for the loss of my other cat. Tara who I still have has been constipated and withdrawn since her sisters death.....almost 5 weeks now I think she is still not ready. Some say to me I should not get another cat until her health issue is cleard up and some say that she could have the health issue becuase she is missing the company of another cat during the day while I am at work. Making the decision on what to do is very confusing.