Dogomania

Halti Collars!

Aroura

I just wanted to say that I bought Lily a halti collar yesterday and as well my friend gave us one for Donna.
Donna hasn't used hers yet but I took Lily on a little walk earlier to see how she went and after about 5 minutes she was an angel! She was heeling perfectly and I hadn't even asked her to! And when we got home, instead of ripping my arm off to chase the cats she calmly walked besides me like any good little dog! We also walked past a few dogs that she normally would have gone ballistic at and she just walked on as if they were just a stick on the path or something. It was like heaven compared to our usual walks!!!! :)
I am going to use Donnas for Tess at training. Training with Tessa is a nightmare, its also rather embarressing. She wont even look in my general direction despite me waving treats in front of her face. I hope this works because otherwise I am just about to give up on her. She's an angel at home but at dog training is a different story and I'd really like to have as much fun with her at training as I do with Lily. If it works I'll buy her one of her own 8)

I just found out that we have one in a petstore near us (thank dog!), and was thinking of using it to train Rowie to be well mannered on a lead. She is usually good on a lead, except somtimes she will jump on me and nip my arm (she has gotten into that bad habit again I am afraid). I'm really hoping this can help! :D

Can yah help Aroura? :D How do I use it properly, and how do I introduce it? Etc.? Do you have any good websites? :D Thanks!

(I've heard alot of good things about the Halti, too! :wink:)

Guest Anonymous

Yes Haltis are wonderful. I have to use one on Tony and he turns into such a gentleman while wearing......... his groomer even uses it during his tubby time 8)

For those of you thinking getting/using one there are directions included in the box when you purchase, be sure to read them to use it properly :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Haltis are the best! The person who created them should win the Nobel Prize. LOL.
With six dogs in my care, plus having to work with so many rescues, I learned real quick how incredibly helpful the Halti is. I've only had one dog (one of my own who is bonkers anyways) not do well with one, she just couldnt adjust to it on her nose.
My parents have a Great Dane who while a complete angel and pretty good on the leash, worried my parents if say, my youngest sister was walking her (she is 15, but was 11 when they got Lexie). Once they tried the Halti, a 5 year old could've walked that dog.
I immediately had to go tell all my friends and clients with problem walkers about it and Presto! we have angels-on-leashes. :D
Not to say I dont think people should be training the dog to walk well on a leash without the Halti, but it is SUCH a helpful tool.
I've heard that the Gentle Leader has a slightly better fit. One of these days I will have to try it out.

Well I have heard good things about the halti and the GL (gentle leader). I tried a GL on my golden and I thought it worked fine... we have moved on from it though. I have never tried the halti but am glad that it is working for lots of you. I am on another forum where lots of people use and highly reccomend the GL. There is a video for the GL...I will go see if I can find the website. Just remember these are training tools, they are not ment to be used for life.

Rio'sMum

Here is the website for the GL training video and training booklet...it seems a little pricy but you might beable to find it cheaper somewhere else.

[url]http://www.jjdog.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=jj&Category_Code=3CATGentleLeaderVideoGENLV[/url]

Here is a sight on how to Buy and Fit a GL or Halti-
[url]http://www.doglogic.com/halter.htm[/url]

Here is the Gentle Leader Website and it has info on fitting it properly and how to intoduce it.

[url]http://www.gentleleader.com/pages.cfm?id=29[/url]

I will look for the Halti website too...

Rio'sMum

The gentle leaders I have heard tend to fit a little better, and also they can be adjusted to completely close the dogs mouth if you are using it for training. I would not suggest doing that unless absolutely necessary, but I have been told that they can be used that way for agression training, although I would use a muzzle.

I have a gentle leader for Freebee, and I only had to use it a few times (she didnt like it) to get her to stop pulling on lead. Now she is back in her
no-pull halter and walks just lovely. They are good for training.

I don't even know what brand it is!!! :lol:
I just bought it with all intentions to swap it for a black dog next week, as they had run out of black dogs in Lilys size and just gave me this one for the meantime. It fits her fine and she's used to it so I think I'll stick with this one thank you! It was only $9, black dogs are $23.
Donna is doing fine on hers too. To get them used to it just get them in a calm mood and put it on them so they hardly even notice it, give them treats etc until they are used to it. The first time you take them out they may paw at it, don't let them because if they realise they can get it off they'll just do it again and again, instead, if they go a little crazy, get their attention, get them into a sit and just keep giving them treats, one step, treat, another step, treat. soon they realise it wont hurt them and if they just walk nicely its more pleasant for them and walla, no more tuggin!
Glad to hear my story has inspired some others, its definatly kinder than having them pulling and choking themselves too :wink: