Dogomania

At what age does a bitch stop going into heat.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I brought in a female Pekingese as a rescue. She was in very rough shape two weeks ago but is now bouncing all over the place. I was told that she was 12 years old but after seeing the way she has been acting lately, now that the fleas and tapeworm are gone and that she's eating a raw diet, I have my doubts as to her age. She just went into heat yesterday and of course is dripping all over the place so I was wondering if anyone out there knows at what age a bitch normally stops going into heat, if any. I will be having her spayed as soon as this is over with which means this darling old gals gets to stick around for a few more weeks!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Guest Anonymous

This dog was RESCUED by me and has not been fixed yet because first we had to treat her for a flea infestation and an eye problem, and then for a tapeworm and now we have to wait because she's in heat. She's 12 years old and was almost on her deathbed when we brought her in so I didn't want to take the chance of having her put under until she was healthy again. There was no rush to have her fixed as she lives with me with my two female dogs with no chance of getting pregnant.

I hope this clear up your question as to why she "wasn't fixed".

Guest Anonymous

Hillside: Thank you for understanding my position on this subject. My main concern is Kiki's health and not money by any means. If there was no risk in getting her fixed now I'd do so but I just don't want to take that chance... same goes for the vacinations as well. I figure why comprimise an already sick dog. But, much to my surprise she's doing much better than she did when she first arrived. I really didn't think there was any hope this little girl would recover the way she has... bouncing all over my house now!

You can read up a little more about her sad story by going to [url]http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=1905766[/url]

Here's a photo... not the greatest plus she had to be shaved down even more to get access to the open sores all over her!
[img]http://www.save-a-pet.ca/photos/kiki.jpg[/img]

Saffire, Kiki is such a sweet looking girl! I want to add my admiration to you for adopting this older gal and looking out for her. I agree that her health needed to be improved before having her spayed. She be able to bounce back from the surgery much better.

Guest Anonymous

Actually I do a bunch of things. I do a lot of the behind the scenes work for save-a-pet (the advertising, paperwork, forms, web site, photos) and occasionally foster a dog for them when I see one that needs more socialization or more one-on-one time. I also have fostered for the SPCA and will continue to do so when I see a dog in great need. I always seem to have a foster dog in my care, along with my own two dogs and 3 cats, but they are usually the ones that the rescues don't want or don't have room for ... the sick elderly ones... because I'm told they are "hard to adopt" and tend to stick around longer and take up space. :cry:

I've personally rescued my own 2 dogs and have successfully placed 2 dogs in wonderful homes. I've had many inquiries for Kiki but this special little girl will not go to anything less than the perfect home, and if that takes a long time than so be it. I know I can't save them all so I'm going to do it one at a time but do the proper job with each one. My hubby think's I'm crazy but oh well, maybe I am but that's fine with me :lol:

Good for you...I really respect people who have such BIG hearts as to take in an older dog...we have one Peke thats comes in for grooming which is 19 years old....so you may still have a long time with you new bundle of joy! :lol:

Very wise of you to wait til her health is back....most vets would not do a spay until a sickely dog is feeling better. You will know when its time for the spay...and the Vets will do a complete blood count before hand just to make sure every thing is alright...most Vets will not put a dog under after 5 years of age with out a CBC...if the owners insist a surgery be done without the blood work they usually have them sign a form which states that the Vet clinic is not responsible... if any thing goes wrong during the surgery due to undetected (undelying problems) which a blood test would have shown.
I would not recommend a dog be spayed while in heat as the uterus is very swollen and it makes the surgery very difficult....you are making all the right decisions.

Congrat's on your new "older" child...I hope you keep her. :wink: