Dogomania

No-No food list

sheesh

Hey all - please check out this link
[url]http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1939&articleid=1030[/url]

What do you think of some of their "dangerous foods"?

For example - dairy - I feed my dogs kefir and lowfat yogurt occasionally. I know of course that some dogs can tolerate things that others can't, but this list might make owners scared to give their dogs anything but dry dog food.

I also give garlic on occasion (not alot) - is that wrong?
I also thought that an occasional raw egg now and then was fine (shell & all, once cleaned) - again, is that wrong?

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

Hello!
kefir and yogurt is great for the dog since it is a living food you can feed it avery day.
also garlic is good for the dog but not cats garlic helps agenst fleas and is a great ad in sick dogs.
I have a dane that was very sick and all he got for 2 days was garlic water he ran a high fever ...binnen 2 days the fever was down and he went back to eating normal.
Eggs are also great most give the yellow part of the egg and the sell but mine get the hole egg if you dont like feeding the wihte cook it and then feed it to the dog.
I feed raw egg 3 times a week.the yellow part of the egg is great for edding protien to your dogs diat.
Kathy

Baby food - [color=orange]I have heard of people feeding baby food to dogs due to Congenital Megaesophagus, I'm sure not all baby foods have Onion powder added.[/color]
Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system - [color=blue]as long as the bones are raw they are fine, never feed cooked bones to your dog...as for fish, I never feed raw fish to my dogs..I feed canned Salmon & Sardines...the bones are not brittle in the canned fish and this is OK to feed to your dog or cat.[/color]
Fat trimmings Can cause pancreatitis - [color=orange]raw fat in the BARF diet is benefecial ...your dog needs some fat in its diet...but always think in moderation...cooked fat would probably be the no no.[/color]
Human vitamin supplements containing iron - [color=red]I also agree on this one...I only give my dogs Vitamin E, B-50 vitamins...the rest they should be getting from their diet. [/color]
Milk and other dairy products - [color=red]I can understand this also..although I do feed my dogs Yoghurt and cottage cheese...they do not have any problems...but, I have seen a few dogs & cats in the vet clinic I work at which are lactose intolerant and milk products really upset their digestive tracts. [/color]
Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder) [color=blue]I do give my dogs garlic powder mixed in their food every once in awhile for a immune boost...I never feed onions.[/color]
Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella. - [color=blue]Salmonella, e. coli, and other bacteria are on many surfaces that your pet comes into contact with often. Salmonella has even been found in samples of commercial pet foods and treats. Bacteria is not a problem for a pet with a strong immune system. I feed my dogs raw eggs with the shells..eggs are a perfect food...the possibility that your dog will have decreased biotin absorption is pretty slim for a dog on the BARF diet..how do the wild animals which make a big part of their diet eating eggs survive??? I myself have put raw eggs in some of my energy drinks [/color]
Raw fish Can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly. - [color=red]I never feed raw fish...maniley due to the possible infection of fluke worms by raw Salmon.[/color]

For the most part as Mei-Mei stated nothing should be given in excess...moderation is the best way to go....there are some foods etc on the list which I agree completely should never be given to your dog.

Guest Anonymous

I think most of that list is BS. Just hype caused from the commercial dog food companies. If you started feeding your dogs table scraps they would go out of business!!
Yogurt contains a beneficial bacteria called acidopholis. You should give your dog yogurt if he is on any antibiotics as it prevents the vomiting and stomach and intestinal disorders caused by the antibiotic destructing beneficial bacteria naturally present in the gut.
Garlic, which I am a die hard believer in, can be used for several things.
1. Adding some to your dogs feed will keep him flea free.
2. Garlic with oil of mullein is great for ear problems.
3. It also helps promote health, appetite, and energy in older dogs.
All my dogs get canned tuna or mackrel and I have never had any problems. fish oils are important for your dogs skin and coat health.
Raw eggs are a great source of protein BUT you shouldnt feed more than one or two a week depending on the size of the dog.
My dogs also get baked or boiled white potatoes.
Table scraps... This is more an old wives tale than anything. Now, some food can cause problems. You shouldnt sit there and feed your dog the rest of the pizza you had last night. Common sense should help with this. If the food on your plate is harmful to your dog, maybe you shouldnt be eating it. Sharing a little of your meal will give the dog a variety of taste and nutrition. Here are some table scraps you should avoid giving to your dog...
leftover fats, bacon, bacon grease... They have high levels of nitrates and the high heat used for cooking bacon creates other harmful compounds.
No sauces, cheese, or ham. They are hard for the dogs digestive tract to handle.
No spicy, salty, or fried foods. Dogs can just as easily get addicted to fried food as we can!
No sweets, cookies or cakes.

[quote]wow, you all just give your dog the whole egg and they just eat it?? [/quote]
Yes, I crack it first and them crunch up the shell and they eat it. Usually you should dry the shell out and add it as an additive, but I am too lazy to do that!! Did it once, and that was enough :lol:

Just my two cents....
Bones, so long as fed raw, are the most natural food you can feed a dog. Only cooked bones cause obstructions.
Fat trimmings in moderation are fine, as common sence would tell us that moderation is the key.
Yoghurts great, I think we all agree on that!!! So long as your dog isn't allergic to it :)
Garlic in small doses is fine, though large doses can be toxic. It is the member of the same family as onions, but is tolerated a lot more than onions are.
It is true that egg white contains avidin that depletes biotin, but the yolk contains enough biotin to make up for the depletion and more. Pet food companys are just holding on to this myth because so many people will believe it! I've heard of people who will feed just a whole egg, without crushing the shell, anybody heard of this? :o
Certain species of fished caught in certain areas of the world, if fed raw, deplete thiamine. Most fish aren't a problem. Personally, at $20kg I can't afford to feed my dogs raw fish anyway!
"String" - well DUH!!!!
Table scraps can actually make up a fairly largish part of the diet provided they are healthy. Problem in this house is that there is never any leftovers!!!! :P