Dogomania

Hello I...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello I have not been here in a while.

Just dropping a line to say my 2 RED NOSE PITBULLS are still doing well at the lease free park. They are about a year and 4 months now. No fighting no nothing. It's all about training. They dont care if a tiny french poodle is humpng them. They have great temperments. You know the American Pitbull was considered the idle family dog about a hundred years ago. To bad some A-Holes have ruined their reputation.

P.S. Please no negative comments that my boys will eventually become ravinous wolves.

Respectfully,

-Hollywood

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100 yrs ago, there wasn't a veritable "witchhunt" if a pit bull hurt or killed someone elses dog. It wasn't that the dogs wouldn't fight, but that it wasn't looked upon as such a big deal if it did happen. In addition, a good number of those "ideal family dogs" you speak of WERE fighting dogs who had no problems at least scrapping with another dog, yet still made great pets. Training has NOTHING to do with whether or not a dog will become dog aggressive... if it did, then how would you explain the numerous obedience titled pit bulls that are also dog aggressive at some level. Several of these dogs' owners post on other boards/email lists I'm on, and quite a few have admitted that their dogs would definitely scrap with another dog, especially if challenged, if they weren't there to stop them. What does that say about the correlation between training and dog aggression? If you want to sit back and pretend it could never happen to you, or to your dogs, then that's fine. If it ever does, though... what will your excuse be then? There is a thread on another pit bull board that discusses "training" and fighting/dog aggression... you might be interested in reading it, though I'm sure you won't agree with what's been said on it.
[url]http://pub177.ezboard.com/fdogcommunityfrm1.showMessage?topicID=3863.topic[/url]

K, IMO, your situation is entirely different from the one Hollywood puts his dogs in... you have 5 dogs, all of which you have a good level of control over, and know well. You can most likely read each one extremely well, know their triggers, and would be able to get things under control before anything even happened if you did see signs of a problem. Hollywood takes his two (still intact, right?) dogs to a dogpark and lets them run around with a dozen or so unfamiliar (to both him and his dogs) dogs. He writes about how his dogs have been humped, snapped at, etc. That leads me to believe that he has very little control (if any at all) over the whole situation, and that to me is just a recipe for disaster.

Guest Anonymous

Listen GOOEYDOG. I AM SICK OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO ARE ALWAYS BAD MOUTHING ANYONE WHO HAS A WELL BEHAVED DOG. PEPOLE LIKE YOU DRIVE PEOLE AWAY FROM THIS BOARD.

Goodbye to all... I will never come here again. I absolutely sick of this shit...everytime I come on here...the same old bullshit negative comments about Amereican Pitbulls.

-Hollywood

Guest Anonymous

Look I asked in my post "Please don't make any negative comments."

Well some people here are just disrespectful of what others ask. Why would anyone offer those negative comments when asked not to. It's just down right disrespectful. If they can't control themselves, then I don't know what. Everytime I have come on here someone still has to be negative in someway, even when I ask them not to be. Some people should learn to respect other people's wishes.

-Hollywood

Guest Anonymous

Also to repeatedly say those same negative comments everytime I come on here is annoying to say the least. I am tired of it. I already know what can happened. It doesn't take a genous to know. There is enough crap in the media with out hearing it from another dog owner especially one that owns Pits.

It would be more pleasant to hear favorable and refreshing comments about Pits..I think.

[color=darkred]Our Bullmastiff is walked on the lead since that day with the Alsation puppy when all he wanted to do was play with it not do any harm, but not realising his size and strength its enough to do damage. No amount of calling will get a dog to listen when a bitch is in season (this was the case that day with Charlie) which is beyond me why the pups owners walked her off lead in that condition, knowing that she would attract the male dogs.
However although Charlie is neutered it doesn't stop his dominance, the neighbours Boxer was in season a while ago....everyday he was up the fence.
Any breed if bought up properly and from a good experience breeder will be a joy to own, but they will all have there off days just like us humans..which is why we should make sure that nothing happens.
Dogs get hot and bothered like us and need to be left alone otherwise they get irritable, especially with children.

Charlie now sleeps with Penny in the kitchen, we have seen how nice they play together in the garden...Penny hanging off his ears, Charlie getting down to her level, shows what a gentle dog he really is!
Bairing in mind this is another dog not a child. Dogs can communicate well with each other. Some dogs can see a child as a threat and will attempt to get rid if provoked in anyway that the dog doesnt like.
This is why there are so many attacks, if only people were to understand there dogs better and know how to prevent such an attack, will this world be a much better place for those who take responsibility

That incident with the Bullmastiff when they invited there neighbours round, that dog was doing his job....protecting his property from strangers, especially when some stranger walks through the back gate.
I dont think Charlie would like a stranger walking through our gate uninvited. I don' know what his owners were thinking, the dog should have been held by his collor or put on a lead......introduced carefully.
Thats what we do however much pulling and jumping around he does, we make sure hes fine with people.[/color]

Hollywood and Guest....

Goo and K are not badmouthing you OR your dogs. They all have bully dogs, remember? If Rott were here he would agree with them.

They are merely trying to point out the facts - that there IS always a possibility with a Pit that it will turn dog aggressive at some point - maybe not a probablility, but a strong possibility.

Not all of them do...and they are used for rescue and do make excellent family pets when well raised and trained...but that possibility is always there. I think what Goo was trying to say is that if you refuse to acknowledge the possibility, and your dog attacks another dog, he/she
becomes one of the "statistics" ....."vicious Pit Bull attacks dog at Dog Park...." I think she was trying to make you understand that, not condenming you or your dogs.....

The last thing any of us want is for BSL to take hold, and Pits and GSD's
and Rotties and Dobies to get banned, because the general public doesnt understand....It us, who own these dogs and raise and train them, who
have to make sure that they are always under control.
That's the only way to turn the public outcry to where it belongs. The
criminals and the bad owners.

Please dont think that Goo, or K or myself are "condemning" you, or
"turning" on you. The facts are the facts...because it hasnt happened yet
doesnt mean it never will...it's just one of those things you need to accept
with a bully breed. Fair? no.....Necessary? yes. For the breed itself.

Guest Anonymous

Facts are facts. Everything Goo said is correct and to the point. Sounds to me she was just trying to give you a little heads up on what MAY come to be. Your dogs are still young pups, just be careful while allowing them to run with other peoples dogs.
Training may give someone more control over their dog BUT it does not secure the safety of the surrounding dogs. Especially with an APBT. If he decides he wants to fight, no training can stop him.
Not knowing this about APBTs reflects you havent done much to find out about your breed. (Red Nose is a COLOR only. Pit bull, not pitbulls. Hate to be picky but... knowledge is the key to owning an APBT.)

i'm not trying to be a jerk, but we've had these same hot debates every time hollywood comes, why can't we realize it's all been said and leave it the heck alone. i know where you all are coming from but hollywood asked for us not to make negative comments, and i don't see why that is not possible. get mad at me if you want this is just my opinion.

I have to agree with every one,
I keep my kids on a leash, just on the off chance that something might happen,
I know that my kids wouldnt hurt a fly, but you can never tell what someone elces dog is going to do!!!
I know that my kids are big,and a little scary and dont yet understand that people DO NOT like to be jumped on or licked to death,they can easily change it arround from the dog was going to give me big sloppy kisses to he tried to kill me! expecially staffy haters, its sad but it is true.

you dont know if you will run across a dog fight and your kid runs over there to look, even if your kid does not do anything but look, if your kid happens to be a staffy, who do you think the blame will go to just because she was there?

I would rather walk my kids on a leash than have them get blamed for something that they did not do!

but dont get me wrong I do think that they need to be socialized properly, and that can still be done on a leash

although olive od bozo does not wear a leash when we are at the lake, it is because nobody elce is arround, and she doesnt run all over the place, if someone elce comes into the lake, I put their leashs on go over to the newcomer, and introduce them, and ask them if they are comfortable with my kids being off of a leash!

Its just allot easyer that way, and dont get me wrong I would love to be able to lets my kids run arround all the time without a leash, but it is for their own saftey

My comments weren't made to bash you OR your dogs.... as I've said before, you may be right about them, and they'll be among the minority of the breed, never showing the least bit of aggression to another dog. You say you know what can happen, then you say it won't if you've trained the dog right. That alone is a huge contradiction.

There are thousands of "good", positive stories about pit bulls (some of whom are dog aggressive)... sadly, there are many more horror stories brought on by owners who either didn't know about, or refused to acknowledge the breed's innate characteristics until it was too late, and THOSE are the ones that are spread around the world, fueling BSL. Again, my comments on pit bulls weren't "negative", the chance of dog aggression in the breed is a well know FACT that most pit bull owners have come to live with... their dogs still live great lives and are often wonderful breed ambassadors. If people are so put off to the breed by the chance of dog aggression, there are other breeds out there that are less likely to have that trait. [/url]

Guest Anonymous

Now my 2 boys are still intact. I do still plan on having them neutered soon. Regardless of that, let's look at what happens to a man who is adropausal (male menopause). If a man loses his ability to produce enough testosterone he becomes extremely irritable and very angry with just about everyone. He will snap at the slightest remark because he is really no longer in control of his emotions due to the lack of testosterone in his system. You would think a man stops producing is like an animal that loses his testes (which make testosterone) would be a more gentler kinder human being.

I wonder are animals that lose their testes more prone to be aggressive? A man certainly is more aggressive when he doesn't produce testosterone, just as a woman is when she is in menopause. Just something to think about.

As far as watching my dogs, of course I do. I used to have a Pit that was abused by a previous owner. So I am already over cautious.

-Hollywood

I dont know hollywood, Bozo is nuetered, although I do not know at what age, and he is not agresive at all, in fact he is one of the most laid back dogs I have seen in a long time[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QgAzAy4TG3PFKOQyPBo9YOCyHgOxdxSWvTySC0vjQ2nWkawgvy70kKQsUM*y2*5WC!sdxpcnRVr6u32Hmln!q1Rc8x6invSaN8AsUqhEkfo/bozo%203.jpg?dc=4675431912014629403[/img]

they become less aggressive because they dont have the innate neccisity to mate - they are not people, which is a common msitake. Testosterone in men is also tied to ego....you take it away, and they become more aggressive because the feel out of place, and less "manly"...dogs dont have this problem. Being neutered just lowers their ranks in the pack, which is what you want anyway, and lessens their desire to roam and to mate, which can make them aggressive. You cannto associate a humans
reaction to a dog - A dogs pack society rules are what takes place in a
neutering - men are more prone to become aggressive because they feel
that they are less of a man - and in people, being Alpha amongst ourselves is foremost in men. dogs can deal with not being alpha, so long as someone is there who IS....Men dont handle it quite that nicely....

Please dont compare your dogs reaction to man's reaction - it's a completely different set of circumstances - dogs dont get razzed, teased, and assaulted by other male dogs for not being "whole"; if they accept their place, all is well. It's a lot harder on men....

I think its all about knowledge, the more you learn the better off you are.

I have learned alot about dogs and different breeds just by logging in. I read what everybody posts and what I have learned I pass onto others. Thats how I feel about this site and I wouldn't have taken that the wrong way. That is also the reason I don't go to dog parks, but to each there own.

A lot of us here have bully breeds and we're big supporters of the breeds. I think that Gooey was expressing valid concerns. Even the most well behaived bully can become aggressive and act out in a split second. Dog aggression is part of their nature and you have to accept that it could happen even with the most well behaived dog.

All of us here are trying to better the reputation of the bully breeds and protect the future of the breeds. Personally I don't take my bullys to dog parks. For one reason, if a bully even snaps at another dog people absolutely freak out! Even though the fact is that if a Dachshund (for example) took that same snap at another dog, people wouldn't even notice or think twice about it.

People shouldn't be so defensive and take criticism so personnally. I don't know what else to say.

Oh and I meant to add:

Asking folks not to make negative comments just isn't going to stop people from saying what they feel they need to say when it's something they feel very passionate about.

Additionally I would say that I don't think that Gooey would really consider these comments to be negative.

Guest Anonymous

Listen up people. I already know what potential I have by owning Pits. I know they can turn at any moment. I know they could possibly fight each other one day. I know they could turn on a dog at the park. I know all about those possiblities or I would not have decided on having such a breed. I have owned an abused Pit before and have read numerous books and info on the breed, so I am not uneducated when it comes to the breed.

The fact is I don't need to hear it every time I come on here when I say how well behaved my dogs have been. I know what can happen. I know the damage a Pit can do. Do you think I'm not extra careful with the Boys? Well I am. I'm probably over careful because of the previous Pit I had. I take very good care about them, their behavior around people and other animals.

You guys have to lighten up on this when I say some nice things about my Rednose Boys. This is getting out of hand. It has become extremely annoying to me. And besides I will defend my Boys to the end like they would for me if they had to.

Save your hereditary behavior lessons for someone else who has no experience with this breed please.
Say what you want to say about the breeds fighting power to someone else. You know about a 100 years ago the American Pitbull Terrier was considered the idle family dog. Something to think about.

-Hollywood

Guest Anonymous

**Be advised I am strongly against APBT in dog parks**

My question to you is...what will you do when your dogs do turn on another in the dog park?

Do you have no respect for other pet owners who go to the park in hopes of having a safe enjoyable play time?

Your right to be there, should not outweight the rights of all the others safety. You can't prevent or stop an attack, no matter how careful you are or how knowledgable you are of the breed.

While you claim to be so knowledgable, your actions only portray ignorance. Those who truly love the breed are unwilling to take the chance of becoming another bad APBT story to add to the pile. That is what I call responsibility, not being extra careful in a situation you cant control to begin with.

The issue at hand is not whether or not you have good dogs, I am sure they are. The issue is your responsibility as a APBT owner, willingly entering into dangerous situations with your dogs. Please consider the rights of others when taking your dogs to the park. This is not to say that your dogs are bad or you a bad owner, I just dont think you understand the magnitude of the risk you are taking. Try putting yourself in the other persons shoes, just once.

Disclaimer - this does not mean I condone BSL, I think the owners should be responsible enough to know their dogs limitations.