Dogomania

looking for a breed

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

does anyone online right now know the name of a breed of a dog that is blue-eyed, is chocalate colored, looks like a smaller version the labrador, but is not the labrador?

Guest Anonymous

i saw the dog one of my sister's shirts and she told me the name but i can't remember it (she's long distance)
i think it had started with a "c". so maybe i will look into to the one you mentioned. or the other one, the weimeraner. thanks, that helps :)

[quote]There are many breeds of dogs that can have blue eyes, but I don't think there is any breed that is exclusively blue eyed[/quote]

I thought Huskies were all blue-eyed - is that wrong? or just a breed
standard? I've never seen one that didnt have blue eyes...

[quote name='Kiwi']Can Catahoula's be solid in colour? (I'm sorry I don't know that much about them :) )
I've only seen pictures of Catahoula's with the leopard spotting.

Also aren't Catahoula's slightly larger taller than labs?[/quote]

Depends on who's breeding the labs. Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but I've been seeing some HUGE labs lately. Very tall, rangy dogs. One at my agility club is easily 28-29 inches at the shoulder, he towers over Jesse who is just shy of 27 inches.

I have seen 'almost' solid colored Catahoulas but the vast majority are patterned in some way.
Here's a snippet of the standard from the American Catahoula Association.
[url]http://www.catahoulas.org/index.html[/url]
COAT COLOR: Although leopards predominate, any color or combination of colors is acceptable. Solid colored dogs are not to be penalized.

Guest Anonymous

For the first time i dont really have an idea of what brred of dog is being described, I even broke out the books and put in some research. There isnt a dog that looks like a lab but has blue eyes. Weims dont really resemble a lab and Catahoulas are always merle or black and tan, and they only vaugle would resemble a lab is you squinted at them from 30 or so feet. are you sure it wasnt a mixed breed on the tee? if you do decide to just call her and ask, please let us know what it is. I am so curious I cant stop looking until i know.

good luck
:black:

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like a German shorthaired pointer if you ask me althou it doesnt start with a C.I have seen a couple solid brown ones .Thats just what I think.

This is a kind of chocolate coloured kelpie. IT's more red than anything, but could be mistaken for chocolate. As you can see they don't look much like Labs but you get the general idea.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/6392/red.jpg[/img]

This is a chocolate kelpie with the tan markings. Maybe I just like posting cute pictures. :oops: :D

[img]http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/6392/ears6.JPG[/img]

And this is the site I got them from, in case they don't work... [url]http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/6392/colours3.htm[/url]

Hmmm... Lab type build but smaller, blue eyed, chocolate colored...

I just don't know... She said the dog was pictured on her sister's shirt and I'm sure if they were going to have a Catahoula Leopard Dog on a shirt it would be the classic "leopard" spotted type coloration.

I just don't know what it would be!

• 5 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Sounds like a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. I've seen some with blue/green eyes and they closely resemble a chocolate lab. Although they are not smaller than a lab, size is subjective and the dog on the shirt could have been a small representation of the breed. Weims don't look like labs, they are much less blocky. My next closest guess would be a liver colored german shorthair, although they really aren't, according to standard, "smaller" than a lab. Like weims, they are typically taller and rangier.

I say almost certainly Weim:

I have seen a number that were nearly brown. They have some facial structures similar to labs. They have somewhat similar ear shape. They do tend to be leaner than most non-working labs but there are lots of folks who over feed and Weims need tons of excercise. There are also one or two breeders of Weims in this area who are not breeding carefully and they have produced a couple litters that seem to have the labs tendency to tank up.

Like has been said, Catahoulas come in most all colors. I have had 3 Catahoulas. 1 was a Black Tri.(Black with tan and white trim.) One was Black and Tan. (Like a Dobie or Rott.) and one was a Blue Leopard.

There are several breeds that have, or can have, blue eyes for instance (But not limited to):

Siberian Husky(but NOT Malamute)
Alaskan Husky(sp)
Australian Shepherd
Catahoula
Border Collie (Blue merles)
Collie and Sheltie (Blue Merles only)
Cardigan Welsh Corgi (Blue Merles only)

Also, most breeds that have dogs that come in "Red" (or liver or chocolate what ever you want to call that color.) It is most prevelant that the red dogs have more "greenish" or amber eyes rather than blue. They CAN have blue eyes in some breeds, but they are harder to find.

Weimeraners don't have " Bright BLUE" eyes like the other breeds though they can have blue-grey eyes, (They look more grey than BLUE.

[quote]Weimeraners don't have " Bright BLUE" eyes like the other breeds though they can have blue-grey eyes, (They look more grey than BLUE[/quote]

True they are so striking, grey eyes, grey coat . . . actually no that I think of it it sounds dull but they are actually striking. There is some nickname for them based on the all grey thing, anyone know what it is?