Dogomania

can I ask a cat question?

We're waiting for our puppy to be old enough to come home, so I've been visiting this site, & others, for information gathering...

meantime, a cat has maybe decided to adopt us. An EXTREMELY friendly cat. Obviously, a house cat, because every chance she gets, she's trying to get into our house. Because of that behavior & because she's so friendly, I'm assuming she is/has been someone's pet; but she's on the thin side. I was avoiding feeding/watering her because of not wanting to encourage her, but she's pretty much taken up residence on our back screened in porch (she can easily get in/out 'cause of the doggie door) so last night I broke down & gave her a bit of tuna & now am keeping fresh water for her. I don't know anything about cats. How much/how often do they eat? I'm going to get a cat collar & attach a note to it explaining the situation hoping her owner will see the note & try to keep her home. Except if she continues to live here, the owner won't ever see the note....a true dilemma. I wouldn't mind keeping her except I'd get her declawed so she can come inside - is that ok? I suspect she'd ruin my furniture w/ her clawing. Just this short time I've been watching her, she's clawing A LOT at the carpet we have on the porch, plus when we hold her she kneads us A LOT (ouch!) plus rubs up against us CONSTANTLY. Does that type of behavior mean anything in particular? If I go outside she follows me, weaving in my feet. Like I said, I don't know much about cats, but she doesn't seem very old - probably close to full grown, but still puppyish is how I'd have to describe her. She's really a cutie! What would ya'll do????

Elle

Those declawing pics are horrible! :cry: Those poor kitties. :( I have a friend who's cat is declawed, and she is fine, although I wouldn't take the risk. Niether of our cats are declawed. If u get your kitty a scratching post she should be fine. :) Goodluck!

:D

[quote name='hillside']I'm not sure what they are actually called but my friend's cat, who is living with his brother currently due to my friend being homeless for a bit, has some sort of "claw covers" because he refuses to have her declawed.. Anyone know anything else about those?[/quote]

They are called soft paws. Check out this link for a look at them.

[url]http://preview.jbpet.com/Shopping/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=JBWholesale&category%5Fname=+&product%5Fid=641%2D0100[/url]

I would like to point out that most cats will experience trama and mental issues if you remove the back claws. I had the front claws removed on my cats and they are fine, don't know the difference, but I would never even think about removing the back claws.

One thing that is really important with claw removal is to make sure that the vet is experienced in the surgery, it is very necessary and tons of things can go wrong if it is not done right. With the invention of soft paws I would suggest you try them first and only resort to claw removal as a last resort.

Good luck with your new kitty, let me know if you need any advice, I was raised with cats and love them as much as I love my dogs.

:angel:

I think tuna also depletes viatmin E in cats. A little now and then is no big deal but as a staple in the diet it can be a problem.
There are many options for controlling clawing: sprays, pie tins attatched (temproarily) to furniture, same with balloons, plenty of alternative scratch approved cat toys (liberally doused with catnip), the two way tape is new to me but sounds like it would work excellently, and never forget the old favourite - a water pistol. I have two cats and with the use of a scratchpost, catnip and water pistols my cats almost never claw at things they are not supposed to and we no longer even use the water pistols. Some cats take a bit more work to train than others but it is worth the effort, give it a try before you begin to debate on declawing or not. Enjoy your new family member(s).

sounds like you've been adopted...

cats are great....and they do get along with dogs. The rubbing could be, as K said, that she's in heat, but some cats are just rubbers...when they're in heat they usually will rub their back end on things, when rubbing with the
head it's usually an attention-getting device. She sounds like she was a
house cat at one time. A wild cat usually isnt anxious to get into a house.

Get her a scratching post, put catnip on it (and watch her freak out, it's really funny) and try the tape or the booties. Make sure you give her standard cat food and not people food, because Taurine is also required for their eyes. Without enough of it they will go blind. They need fresh water every day, and if you intend to keep her in the house than a litter
box. Some cats do not like scented litter (mine hates it). All you usually have to do is put the cat in the box once, and they will use it from that point on.

Do not be surprised if it seems she's not drinking a lot - cats need very little water to survive, but they do need fresh water every day.

A few other tips:

If you are pregnant - find someone else to change the litter box. There are
bacteria in cat feces that are harmful to unborn children

play with her! one of the best cat toys I have ever seen is called a "cat dancer" - it's basically a wire on a wooden stand that the cat can chase - when she bats it, it changes to all these weird directions and it's hours of fun for the cat.

My old cat used to chase and retrieve aluminum foil balls...they love that
game.

talk to her - some cats (especially if part siamese) are very vocal, and will answer back. The cat that chased the foil balls never shut up - he would talk to me constantly. He also purred like a diesel engine.....

if you treat them like dogs, they end up acting like dogs. Include them in
what you're doing, and they become very social to be around.

Good luck!!

thanks all of you for your helpful responses!! Reading some of the links k provided, I think, if she stays w/ us, I'll check into using the claw covers, plus of course provide her w/ posts. hmmmm, do they still get satisfied clawing a post if their nails are covered???

everyone in the family is falling for her, but alas, I just got home & she's not here. But she was here no more than an hour ago 'cause one son called & was laughing about being outside & she was following him everywhere & he couldn't get in the house! He's allergic - do I pump him full of ClarinX????

k, the puppy we'll be getting is a mutt. I'm looking forward to puppy school. I haven't had a dog for about 3 years so haven't been in the puppy stage for abuot 14 years. I think it might be a good thing I have a lousy memory :roll: I'm seeing a lot about training using clickers - that'll be new to me. w/ everyone's experience here, is that a great way to train or just a new trend?

Elle

If the allergies you are dealing with are mild you can try the following:

Allerpet D (or similar product): Can be applied to cloth and wiped over pet once a day to once a week to reduce allergic reactions due to dander etc.

Having the allergy suffer wash hands when done playing with pet and especially before eating or sleeping. Also don't rub eyes while playing with pet.

Put the cat on a raw food diet or a good high quality cat food - reduces dander/oil or something that causes allergic reactions.

Launder cat bedding (when I say bedding I mean whatever the cat adopts as its bed as no cat I have ever known slept in those cat beds his/her owner provided :-? ) regularly - try not to get the allergy sufferer to do this paticular load of laundry if possible.

Avoid other sources of allergy irratation. (Takes the pressure of the allergic persons system allowing them to deal with the dander/oil more easily.)

Also, many people get relief from allergies just by giving their cats regular baths. It's not as impossible as it seems. Apparently, some of the problems of allergy sufferers is actually from the saliva the cats deposit when they groom themselves.

Regarding the claw issue, I've found the most practical solution is just keeping those nails trimmed. Cat nails are extremely easy to trim and most cats can be taught to tolerate it. You could have your vet or a groomer show you how to do it the first time. You would be amazed at how easy it is. I just never really cared for the soft paws. I mean, it's certainly a better alternative than declawing, but trimming the nails requires so much less effort and time (and money). If kitty is absolutely adamant about not having it done, you could just have it done by a vet or groomer the first several times. She will eventually get used to it and you should be able to do it at home.

Good luck.

As for the soft paws, we have people who come into the clinic to have them put on their cats every few months...they are pretty awkward to put on.
Another suggestion for the cat...since outdoor cats are such roamers...I would definately post "found Cat" signs at all the local stores, and put it on the Radio and call the local Vet clinics & humane society's. There have been alot of worried cat owners never knowing if their baby has been hit by a car, eaten by a coyote etc...I also know of alot of roamers who actually have lived with one person for 6 months then going back to their orginal owner for the other 6 months...perhaps getting tired of the food... :lol:
You never know, a little child could be really missing their little kitty.

As for the rubbing up against you: Smell is an extremely important sense in cats, in some cases more than sight. Cats have scent glands on multiple places on their body including their faces and feet. On their face, the glands are located around the eyes, below the ears, and on the chin. By rubbing their face on various objects, such as legs and furniture, they are leaving their scent. Other cats passing the object will often stop and sniff, maybe even rubbing their faces on the object to leave their scent as well.
Scent marks contain molecules called pheromones. Different glands secrete different pheromones which affect a number of behaviors, including reproduction and establishing territory.

The pheromones that come from the glands on the face generally have a calming effect on cats.

I've found out she's a he, not neutered. A neighbor has also been feeding him, after avoiding it for awhile, but since he's so thin, neighbor decided to go ahead too. Neighbor has had the cat 'visiting' him a few days longer than we have. Neighbor believes someone dropped the cat off. He's such a friendly cat, I can't believe someone would have given him so much attention only to abandon him - he's got to be missing instead. So I'll try spreading the word. Still have to make a decision about what to do if owners don't show up. We're 50/50 - keep thinking of plenty of reasons not to keep him, but ...! He seems to be intelligent. Even tho he obviously wants to come in the house, he's learning he's not allowed (although, if we decide to keep him, he will be allowed inside). I don't like cats to get up on tables so this morning as we were on the porch w/ coffee & newspaper, the little "training" I did to teach him not to get on the table seemed to work! Regarding the scent glands, well, he's distributed his scent on all of us very thoroughly! He LOVES to rub him face on us & loves to be petted. I'm thinking maybe his claws are too long - it looks like he kind-of walks on his toes & he's constantly clawing, even as he walks.

[color=darkred]Hi Elle.

I have three cats of my own. They all get on well with my dogs. I had the problem with mine clawing at the furniture and carpet. I have a scratching post now with some catnip rubbed into the post, this encourages them to use it and actually sends them crazy...so if you do use catnip only use a little LOL. The cat rubbing against furniture etc doesnt necessary mean she is on heat.....all my cats have been neutered but they still do it, even more so to the dogs. They are either leaving there scent like male cats do when marking there territory or it means there happy :D Has with cat collors an elastic one is much better than one without...if the cat was to get caught up a tree or on a fence.....the cat as more chance of breaking free, there are many on the market...also one with a good bell ring is ideal, this prevents cats from catching rats and birds.
You mention she is on the thin side, this could be due to worms....most cats round here are a little thin but this doesnt mean they are neglected (even so, cats do have to be wormed. like dogs)...she could possibly be from a good home. Because we have cats of our own, we get visits from a few but we dont encourage them in anyway. One of my males Casper, is always scrounging for food off people....he has been known to help himself to some meat in there fridge. I get a phone call saying your cat is in my fridge LOL..there has also been one neighbour who kept feeding him and locking him in the bathroom....from our back garden you can see the window to bathroom, and there he was sitting there....of course I was furious and went round knocking on there door but got no answer so I put a note through there door. Apparently it worked for a while then they started again, also hearing from people that these neighbours had been telling others that Casper was there's (grrrr) how annoying is that.
So eventually we had know choice but to keep him in for a while, he was putting on so much weight, he kept being sick (god knows what they had been feeding him) but thankfully they have since moved out....so Casper can go back out again :D As much has it is nice to see people making a fuss of our cats, we do not like them to feed them...its our responsibility...no one elses. Some people think that cats live on milk but infact it upsets there stomachs.
Maybe if the cats owner came forward, you could have a word with her about the cats weight.....advise her to take the cat for a health check with the vet who can prescribe her with some wormers has well as neutering, preventing unwanted kittens.

GOOD LUCK[/color]

latest update - dh is such a softie - he makes all these noises about not needing another animal.... then he goes & names this little guy TUGGER, as in tugging at the heart strings! And the cat is coming when called! He follows us everywhere we go when out in the yard.

will take him in to the vet early this week to be checked for leukemia & aids; he also has some sort of a lump on his side... anyone w/ a guess what that could be? If he's healthy (vet said if tested positive for leukemia or aids, will have to be put down), we'll have him neutered so we can begin letting him in the house some, plus of course start vaccines. He'll be primarily an outdoor cat tho, so will leave his claws alone (vet said the soft claws also make it too dangerous for an outside cat), & will just have him inside when we're able to be w/ him. I'll get him an indoor scratching post (altho I bought him some catnip toys which he's ignoring). Do I need a litter box inside?

In the summer months for my 3 cats I do not leave the litter pan out for them....it goes into storage....I put it back out in the winter.
I failed in trying to keep my 3 cats indoor ...so, I put breakaway collars on them so they won't kill all the neighborhood birds, I don't mind if they kill mice and rats though...one of my cats actally brought a big fat rat home the other day...we have a compost and this really seems to attact the dirty critters. The breakaway collars don't seem to last too long on my cats, but, I will not put a regular collar on them in case they ever hung them selves. My cats also have refuge in the dog kennel...I have large baby barn in my dog kennel set up for the dogs and the cats...the cats are free to come indoors as they please...I myself do not have any problems with my cats scratching up the furniture on the parts you can see...but, they will get underneath the coach lie on their backs and skim along the bottom of the coach with their front claws....its pretty funny to watch.
My brother actually had a feral cat take up residence at his home also...we had him vaccinated & neutered all on the same day to avoid too much stress for the poor little guy...the vet I work with will do this for feral cats at no charge, what she does is she has a jar out front at reception called a wild life donation jar, people can leave loose change etc and the Vets use this (and their own time and money) towards surgery on wild animals which have been hurt and feral cats and dogs ...
she keeps them in isolation does all the necessary blood works then she does the surgery and vaccines....alot of these cats have never been close to humans and have had to be brought in in live traps...really quite aggressive when taken out of the cage...poor little things.
Elle, I wish you the best of luck with your new little freind...I have always had cats in my life...I really enjoy them..my cats have always been rescues...one was found in a laundry shoot at an apartment building...the fall had broken both its back legs...he was a great pet....years ago my Doberman pinscher found a kitten...it was down by a lake wrapped in fishing line, the rest of the kittens had drowned...the little thing did not have its eyes open...was probably only about a few days old...I bottle fed the little thing and my female dobbie mothered it and really watched over it...the Dobbie & kitten bonded very closely... it really makes me mad to think of the person who so casually dumped these kittens in the lake to drown! if I could find the people who do these things...well, I don't know what I would exactely do...but, it wouldnt be pleasant...

[quote name='K']Shannon...[u]no more[/u] emptying the litter tray for you(if you have one?)!!!Just had to pop that in there!....[/quote]

[color=darkred]K thankyou for letting me know LOL, my fiance is cleaning the litter tray and picking up the dogs mess.....so no worries there hun [/color] :wink:

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']Here's a BIG piece of advice. If, by chance, you do end up keeping him, I'd strongly suggest having him neutered way before you even consider having him in the house. Tomcats LOVE to spray (it's what they do) and that smell is nearly impossible to get out.[/quote]
h/f and k are right neutering is a must