Dogomania

Too early for neutering?

ferky1

I have a 14 week old, 6 pound Shih Tzu that was born with an umbilical hernia (hereditary and quite common from what I understand).

Due to the potential dangers associated with a hernia, the vet recommended that we neuter Miles and fix the hernia at 20 weeks.

I have never heard of someone performing elective surgery on a small breed before 6 months and I was wondering if anyone can offer me some comfort or advice on this matter. I want the best for my boy, but I monitor the hernia regularly so I will know if anything pops through (so far nothing), and I have also spoken to people who's dogs have gone their entire lives with an unfixed hernia. Is 5 months too early for my little guy? Will that extra month make a difference? Am I just being overprotective?

There is nothing wrong with having your pup neutered at 20 wks...some Vets will neuter pups as early as 6 - 14 weeks...it does not affect growth rate etc. An eary neuter is very safe, in fact pups neutered at a youner age often have faster recoveries.
I would defenately have the umbilical hernia repaired in many cases, a hernia that goes untreated can have a fatal outcome. Usually, the problems that occur are not caused by the intestines or other organs being in an abnormal position or from the displacement of other tissues that are supposed to be there. Rather, in most instances, a problem arises when the blood supply of the herniated tissues is affected.

Good luck, and remember...the smaller the dog is the quicker it matures...a large breed can take up to 2 years to fully mature...small dogs usually are mature at 1 year. :wink:

I just had my 11 lb Jack Russell neutered at 22 weeks. He came through with flying colors, I am really glad I did it early.

Also, I have a 13 year old Sheltie that has lived his whole life with an umbilical hernia. It has never changed or caused a problem.

Neither of the issues are severe. Listen to your vet and you will be pleased.

dont worry, we felt the same way when our bozo[img]http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/C3/F1/PitBullWorld/34/30f.jpg[/img]went in for emergency surgury a couple of months ago! I am sure your puppy will be just fine just stay by him as much as you can and show him that you love him, and will do ANYTHING to make him feel better!!!! :Dog_run:

[quote name='K']Are'nt we all guilty of being overprotective?..it's what I love about everyone here...we care for own own dogs and we look out for others too...I think your pup wil come through just fine....and as young as he is he will heal so quickly you will be amazed!!...I am SOOOOO scared to make the appt. for Cymmies spay...I can't even explain it...I just have this stupid fear she will not make it through the narcosis :help1:[/quote]
hmmmmm we are all the same, best to get it over wth, I felt just the same when Gladis went

Some Vets still go by that age guide of 6 months....they shouldnt though....especially for female dogs! for a large breed dog your usually pretty safe with the 6 month spay rule...but, with small breeds they can have their first heat cycle as early as 4 months...this has caused alot of bad feeling in the past for owners towards Vet's who will not do a spay before the age of 6 months.