Dogomania

My personal breeding rant

Horsefeathers!

Locally, we have a <sarcasm> wonderful </sarcasm> pet owner (family) who believes they must breed everything they own. There is no "educating" these people; they know it all. Let's see... for a while, they were breeding (very ugly) Cocker Spaniels with demodex, so for the longest time, we got to see a whole bunch of mangy Cocker pups coming through. The female was finally (I almost want to say thankfully) hit by a car and killed, so now they only have the male Cocker (of that pair, but there are other dogs). By the way (to illustrate their care), these dogs were groomed about twice a year. Loaded with fleas, matted to the bone and filthy. After all, they were just free roaming yard dogs.

Lately, these folks have been trying to breed Labs. Very big, very aggressive (a Lab??), very nervous Labs. Chocolate Labs with white blazes on their chests. Real prize winners, these dogs. The biggest and meanest Lab they had was recently hit by a car (ya, another one). Rather than dump the money into patching him up, they opted to put him to sleep. Only after leaving him there for a while to think about it. They authorized no treatment during that time. They just needed time to "think about it" while the dog was laying at the vet clinic all broken up. At least the vet was compassionate enough to keep the dog more or less sedated so he wouldn't suffer any worse than he had to.

Anyway, so they let that dog go. After all, they have plenty more and dogs are disposable, anyway, right? I just found out that the lady had apparently been watching some show, or reading some article (these people READ??) about *groan* Labradoodles... Labs crossed with Standard Poodles. She was going on about how people are paying $1500 for these mutts and there aren't enough of them to go around. You can just see the dollar signs in her eyes. She is all excited because she plans to get a Standard Poodle for Christmas. The rest of their dogs are so neglected, but to know they are going to have a Standard Poodle roaming loose and I know it's going to be matted and nasty and neglected... it just pisses me off like you wouldn't believe. That whole idea of getting a SP so they can make mutts and attempt to get rich bugs me. The lady never once said anything about how she likes their temperament, or that they are beautiful, or anything. No, all she knows is that people will pay $1500 for these dogs.

Now, I'm not getting into the whole cross breeding vs. pure breeding debate, per se. I mean, I know of people who cross breeds for working purposes. The problem I have is that these people just see freaking $$ signs. I don't know how she thinks anyone HERE is going to pay that much for these dogs and I wonder if she's even taken into account how many puppies this dog will have. I reckon she will just ship them off or something. Plus the idea of her getting some likely ill bred (must be cheap) schizo Standard and breeding it to one of their ill bred psycho Labs makes my skin crawl. Guess who people will be calling to groom these monsters??

I have always hated these people, anyway. Anything they own, the feel they must breed. No matter the temperament, health, or any of that. Nope, as long as it brings in a buck, let's breed them. If a few get killed in the road here and there, oh well, it was just a dog.

I'm sending word out that I will not be grooming any more of their dogs (like I'm getting rich grooming the remaining Cocker twice a year). If they get a Standard, there is not another groomer within 30 miles who will touch it (there is only one other groomer in town and she doesn't do big dogs, period). As much as I love the breed, I'm not going to make it any easier on them than I have to. Besides, there is no way these people would pay what I would charge.

I wish there was SOME way to deal with these people and "educate" them, but they won't hear it. The truth is they don't care. It's one thing when someone is just totally ignorant and doesn't know better. These people just don't give a crap. They already know it all. The arrogant, pompous jackasses. :madgo:

:evil: :onfire: :bad-words: :angryy: :eviltongue: :zly7:
:snipersmile: :chainsaw1:

Blimey HF how frustrating[img]http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/mad/118.gif[/img]

You have done all you can I guess,how can these people be so ignorant,it makes my blood boil [img]http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/mad/boese079.gif[/img]

Sadly this is all too common and it's the rescue centres that have to pick up the pieces [img]http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/sad/1011.gif[/img]

Oh, that is just to sad and sickening, :evil:
Have you ever thought of calling animal control, since these dogs are in such bad condition, and so many have been hit by the car.
She should not be breeding. :evil:
There must be some kind of way to educate her or give her some kind of warning. :(

[quote]just found out that the lady had apparently been watching some show, or reading some article [/quote]

I know what show.... she was prabably watching the "Today" show. They did a report on Labradoodles, not mentioning how most breeders are in for the money or how the "breed" is not AKC or (as far as I know) not UKC recognized. All they basically said was "Labradoodles are the newest fad so go out and get one, or breed some if u want since there aren't enough, they are hypoallergenic and are great pets, Go out and get yours today"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F****** b******s is all I have to say about people like that...
:chainsaw1: :wallbash: :bad-words:

The stupidity of some people just amazes me. They think they will have dollar bills on four legs. When I first got Mystic, people (including those I work with at the shelter) said I should breed her a few times since Shilohs sell for over $1000 usually and could make tons of money. I added up all the things that would be needed to produce one good litter and that cost was higher than what I paid for her. Now if all I cared about was money, then I probably could make some easily. I'd have to cut so many corners it would be ridiculous! Emergency c-section, nope. Vaccines, nope. All the testing, nope. The list goes on.

We just took in a bunch of Shar peis from a BYB. 6 adults and all are in horrible shape. They can barely see, their ears are bleeding from fly bites, they are ALL strongly heartworm positive, they stink and are covered in filth. They have lots of fur missing and really bad skin. BUT the owner was able to sell their puppies for about $300-400 and so she kept breeding them and selling them to whoever would pay for them. Poor dogs.

I know what you are talking about, from a groomers perspective, I have been profesionally grooming pets for about five years, and there is nothing that pisses you off more than a neglected pet, expecially when you tell the owner that they are neglecting there animals and they still dont care!!!! I have a story If you all would like to hear it I suggest if you have a weak stomach, not to read on........
one early friday morning a guy walked into my shop and said I have a CHOW CHOW that is in despiarate need of a grooming, I quoted him a price of 45.00, being that if it were in despiarate need, it probably would have to be shaved, I made the owner promise to make the dog wear a t shirt for at least 2 weeks after being shaved, It was an outside dog never got any attentionn or shade, so it needed some protection from the sun, he agreed, to have his dog wear the t-shirt and said that he would bring his dog in early monday morning after taking him to the vet to be sedated...
monday morning came, so did the sedated chow chow, after looking the dog over, I informed the owner that she would have to be shaved and a t-shirt in this case is a must, he said no problem.
I proceed to shaev her with a number 5 blade no luck
hmmm maybe a number 7 would be better nope
number 10? not a chance
#40 sergical blade? ok this works
now you have an Idea as to how badly matted this dog was......

so I am shaving shaving shaving.....

She is going to get A lion Cut I decided

Shaving Shaving Shaving.....

there is a foul smell of invection coming off of the dog, I coninue
BTW the owners reason for bringing her in was she was starting to chew at her back end!!!
well her hair was sooo badly matted that the fuzz had matted over her back end and she could no longer go to the bathroom....
I had to place her in the bathtub, because I knew that when I took the hair off of that area It was not going to stop flowing, and sure enough it did, it must have went on for about half an hour. well there was a foul smell coming out of there, no wonder she was knawing on her back end!!!!but was it the same one I smelt earlier? nope

apon shaving her back she woke up, I dont know If you guys know this but there is nothing worse than grooming a sedated dog and it wakes up halfway through, there is nothing in the world worse than a pissed of dog.

that dog was such an angel after she woke up!!! I still to this day have no Idea why he had her sedated

well I am still shaving her back and WOW that must be why she woke up, she was in pain, Did I hurt her? nope.... and theres that smell again..

This dog was so badly matted that under all of that fur there were flies living and sure enough maggots.... not only that but they had started to eat her!!! she had a hole about the size of a qouarter on the top of her back!!!!!! it was oooozzing puss and maggots crawling all over, well theres the smell..

being soo pissed of at how this guy treats his pet I called the vet, he came and diagnosed her, gave me some medication for her wich I gave to the owner.

When the owner came to pick her up I told him how much I want to call the humaine society on him, because no animal should be nglected like that, he said that he was really sorry, and asked how often I thought that she should be groomed, I told him at least every 3 months AT LEAST he said ok and made an appointment for then, I made sure that he knew that the dog was to wear a t-shirt for at least 2 weeeks to avoid sunburn
and of course he said OK

two days late rhe stoped by to tell me thanks for helping me with his dog, but he never showed up for any of his appointments And I am sure that he is neglecting his dog again as that was over a year and a half ago when I saw her last. I still wish to this day that I would have turned him in!!!!!
sorry for ranting in your post I just couldnt help it

K I did tell the guy that he needed to brush his dog on a daily basis, and also be pro. groomed every 3 months, as some people cannot get all of the dead hair or mats out when brushing their pets, I guess it would have to be because their pets know exactly how huch they can get away with. anyway when he brought her into be groomed I swear she had not been groomed for at least 5 yrs, (or brushed)

yeah And I wish that I could still turn that guy in, but I have no Idea who he is, its funny with all of the records that I keep, his is the only one that I cant find!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Guest Anonymous

HF, How many dogs total do they have on their property? If its more than 4, check your local laws. I know a lot of areas dont allow more than 4 dogs on one property if they arent a registered kennel.

Hmmm, thanks for the tip, but these folks live outside the city limits and there is no limit to how many "pets" one can have there. They are supposed to have a kennel license if they breed more than so many litters a year, but that's governed by the state department of agriculture, not the local government. Trying to get the ag department to do anything about smalltime backyard breeders is useless (I've been trying for years to get them to shut down a local horror chamber of a pet store). It was a good thought, though.

I have neighbors that breed their 15 plus dogs constantly to sell and make money off of. Their dogs are constantly tearing up our trash, chasing our horses, chasing/killing our cats, killing our ducks....I have called animal control numberous times over two years to no avail. They do not contain their dogs at all (OR THEIR HORSES for that fact.) We often have their horses on our property .... they live 1/4 mile away and have NO FENCES! :evil: And their horses are always sick.

I digress...

My sister is trying to breed lab pups...She has a so-so female and an aggressive crazy male that she is trying to breed. I keep telling her that breeding dogs is expensive and that too many labs are already being put down DAILY in our area, but she is just wanting to "sell each pup for $300 a piece....." I gave up trying to talk her out of it. She is 13 years older that I and will not listen to "little sis".

Lizzie -- your story about that chow.....WHOA! That is awful!! I am fostering a chos that I am not able to get the mats out of....You have just made me decide to go home and shave him...just to be safe. Yuck.

as far as the number limitation for pets, they actually do have a set number in most locations being 4, in the county however, they go by the size of your property, how well off the animals are, and causteration. anyway for example we had the huamne society stop by so that we could see how many dogs we could have, we lived on a 2 1/2 acre of fenced property in a two story house, and we were allower 4 1/2 dogs, dont ask what the half is for, I dont know, But if I had to pick I would have the head half!!!!!

He also said that if they were to stop by and we had say 6 dogs, as long as they were all wearing tags, and well taken care of that they would not do anything to us.....

as far as kennel laws, If you donot have special permission, any number of dogs over 4 is to be considered a kennel.

Guest Anonymous

K, I dont know if there is a way around the law. I have kept both of my yards registered since the incident below...
HF, One of my yards is in the country. The kennel in my backyard has always been registered and I thought that would be enough since the country yard is considered the same kennel. The state seemed to think differently. They fined me for have an unlicensed kennel of 25 dogs.
If you dont mind me asking, what state or area are you in? I have a lawyer friend I can ask to look into it.