Dogomania

smells and hair

Peng1zrule

Hello everyone...hoping for some tips from experts or the experienced...I still live at home, I'm a full-time college student and working part-time. Anyway, my mother's about ready to throw me out over what she calls the "dog smell" I have never noticed smells, it takes something really strong for me to smell it at all. But she claims it's close to toxic fumes and it's her. How do you handle the "dog smell"? I bathe them weekly, brush them regularly, clean up any messes immediately with bleach and papertowels...and there's still "the smell" are there any products I should be using? Any gimmicks, or tricks? Also...my sister is a groomer and can brush out eye-popping amounts of fur. I've tried it and get this pathetic handful, and in the meantime, they're shedding enough to give me a medium sized dog! I could have a sweater by now. How do you remove the fur from a dog's stiff, soft, coat, only about two to three inches long?

thanks in advance
Jessica (and the Muttley Crew)

Just my 2 cents... I heard that food quality affects the dog's "smell", not to mention the allergy or chemicals from the low quality foods. So what kind of fodd (brand?) you feed to your dog?

I have to admit... my nose has got so used to doggy smell since my family got me the first dog when I wasn in elementary school. If there is not enough dog-smell molecues in the air, I don't feel right at home :wink:

I work at a Grooming facility as a bath/blow dryer...and although I am no expert I do tend to listen to my boss...once in awhile.. :wink:
Perhaps where your sister is a dog groomer you could have her order in some special deoderizing shampoos...I can't think of the brand name at the moment ( I will look at the bottle when I am at work) but one of the shampoos my boss has in is called "Fresh pet" which smells really nice and another that actually has baking soda in it to absorb odors...she also has an assortment of dog "perfumes" which she sprays on the bandana's she puts around the dogs neck...she does not put this directly on the dog as some dogs have may have allergies...she has all sorts of different smells my favorite is baby powder scent and Vanilla...if your dogs have no allergies you can spray this directly on them...
some other suggestions, use baking soda or corn starch for body odor, sprinkle some baking soda on the dog work it in, then brush it off. this dry shampoo leaves your pet smelling fresh.
Bounce - to get rid of the smell of wet dog, wipe down the animal with bounce dryer sheets, making the dog springtime fresh (not recommended for dogs with ANY allergies)
As for getting the dead coat out of your dogs coat, I always start with a bath....when I have the coat all lathered in shampoo I brush through the coat...this removes alot of that old coat...then while I am letting the conditioner sit on the coat I brush through again...where your sister is a groomer use the high velocity dryer...get it as close to the skin as possible....there are no fears of heat as the dryers blow cold air only...once you have the coat dry from the skin out.... the rest of the dead coat just blows right out...if you can't get to your sister's shop then invest in a good quality rake and slicker brush...these are great tools for getting out the under coat..especially the rake.

Another thought around the house...are your dogs having mistakes quite often? perhaps you need to refresh your house training lessons...if the only reason for the mistakes is that you are at school for long periods of time and they are unavoidable....here are some suggestions..
after blotting up the urine and cleaning it with club soda let the spot dry completely, cover it up with Baking Soda, let it sit for one hour, and then vacuum it up . The baking soda will remove the smell of urine.
Vinegar also will help...saturate the spot with vinegar..(its going to smell like urine and vinegar for about three days), but once it dries, the vinegar will completely deodorize the stain....you won't smell a thing.
another suggestion for removing urine smell mix 1/4 cup white vinegar and a squirt of liquid detergent in a quart of warm water. Scrub the area thoroughly with the solution, then apply an odor masking spray or liquid, such as urine kleen or odormute. Both are available in pet stores.
My favorite mixture is I mix vinegar with baking soda and a little bit of my favorite essential oil ( I use tangerine or orange)

Another thought on the doggy odor, make sure your dogs ears are clean....ear infections are a common cause of bad odors...if your dogs ears smell bad, take your dog to a Veterinarian to treat...do not treat an ear infection your self
you can clean your dogs ears with one part white vinegar with two parts water, then gently flushing the ear with a bulb syringe. Rub the ear gently to distribute the liquied, then wipe with a cotton ball...
Last but not least...if youve tried brushing, scrubbing and other wise sanitizing your pet and he still smells like an old shoe, theres a good chance somethings wrong. A smelly pet may be a sick pet...some causes other than ear infections for bad odors are...tooth disease, kidney problem or even skin disease.

Baking Soda is from the Gods - use it, love it, it is your freind.

We have to change the filter on our vacume 2-3x as much as my mom but we have to vacume at least 2x as much and use baking soda or a pet ordour baking soda product evertime, we use it on the carpet AND on the furniture etc the dogs are allowed on.

The other tips all sound great by the way, will have to start using some of them. Personally I would be careful on the perfumes though - most scented products have chemicals in them that are designed to help the scent linger and these chemicals have a number of unpleasent side effects (not on skin contact but when inhaled) including some neuralogical and behaviour effects as well as allergy related symptoms of course.

Thank you all for your tips and suggestions. I will be cleaning thier ears and purchasing baking soda on a regular basis now. I did not know food affected body odor. I have a linoleum floor (bedroom, living room, every room--yes, yes, for the dogs) so I use the vinegar on pee messes but don't know how great it works. about every two weeks, I have to wipe down all the walls with vinegar, I think the cat is marking but I NEVER catch her. grrrrrrrr. I will be switching to a better-grade food now that I'm making more money. I am using wal marts ol' roy which is "cheap" but a heckuva better quality than some of the other brands of the same price I've tried. Again, thank you, thank you, thank you, for the tips!