Dogomania

Pics of Rufus

rufus

Oh my, I am in love - he's just too cute! I grew up with an OES, my parents bought her for Xmas in 1981 from a pet store (Doktor Pets, they didn't know any better at the time). She was colored just like yours and had 1 blue eye, 1 brown eye. Her name was Scruffy (I named another dog I had Scruffy as well because he looked like a mini version of her). I remember almost losing her as back in the 80's vets said they had to go through heat before spaying. She was 1 year old when she was spayed and lost so much blood, they almost lost her. She moved in with my grandma in 1985 and became a yard dog, unfortunately. She was run over by my grandpa when she was napping in the driveway, but lived. She died at age 12 and was very missed. She usually weighed around 70 pounds and we kept her fur short, shaved her every summer.

I love that breed and would love to have another someday. I hardly ever see any around here, but when I do I just have to go pet it!

Your boy is just too adorable, reminds me so much of Scruffy.

Spirtsmom - I know who to ask now for advice as I've never owned an OES before (I've wanted one since I was 12 and as I've waited 28 yrs for him, he really is precious :) ). He also has one blue and one brown eye like Scruffy and it's kind of funny watching visitors reactions - some seem quite 'freaked out'.

My vet has said that Rufus will have to be 1yr before he can be neutured but I thought I'd read somewhere that it can be earlier?

He really is a cutie and has such character - we are always laughing at some of the things he does or just the way he looks at us sometimes. I wish I knew what he was thinking :lol:

Alot of vets push for early neutering (before 6 months) alot go for the 6 month time period, and still others say to wait till after age 1. The theory goes that dogs need their male hormones to mature and so they recommend holding off on neutering until age 1 or 2. I think it's just personal preference, if I ever get a male dog I might just wait till he was 9 months to a year old to neuter him. It's really up to you, just bear in mind that he will try to reach females in heat when he's about 6 months till he's neutered so be very careful about that.

They are a truly bear-like breed, I absolutely love their temperaments!