Dogomania

Please help, skin problem...What is the best shampoo to use.

Angelboddy

I was checking Nostalgia over, and I noticed that she has fadded hair on one side of her shoulder blades and under her neck. :(
She also has a few scabes on her shoulder blade where her hair is kinda missing. They look like some kind of bite, maybe Masquitos bites.
Under her neck is worst. It look kind like she has been scratching at it and making it scab. Or dry scabby skin.
I just don't know. :(
I got a picture of under her neck.
I am wondering if it might be the masquitos that are bitting her and doing this to her.
I am so worried. :(
Is there anything that I can put on this?

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QgBDAxUS!TCsIBu6kDD9evQ*EFjBnLA0V3q77uaKkxth94Pu9g04HgAZc1Y3!r*2XE4vmbcF1b1HCsBoDNXw0!4Sgrb3juwErtsXNnqyVzo/000_0363.JPG?dc=4675430695555575733[/img]

I am going to give her some benadryl and put some hydrocortisone cream under her neck. I am also going to have my husband pick up some shampoo so I can give her a bath.

What is the best shampoo to use on this, so I can tell my hubby?
He will stop at petsmart.
Sould I get Tea Tree oil shampoo, or a natural oatmeal shampoo?

I did call the vet and they said to check for fleas, but she has got none.
They also said it might be some kind of allergy or mange, and they can just give her a shot for that.
But the only problem with taking her in, is we only have about 30 buck to our name right now.
And my hubby don't get paid til tomarrow. I work sat and sun, so I would have to wait tell mon. to take her in.
I'm just worried to wait that long! :(
I feel like such a bad mommy! :cry:
I don't know what to do, i'm freaking out here! :o

O.k this is the shampoo that I will have my hubby pick-up for now.
What do you guys think of this oatmeal shampoo?
A groomer told me to use tea tree, but I found on a pet vet site to use a natural oatmeal shampoo.
If anyone has any better suggestions, I would really appreciate it. :D

[img]http://www.petsmart.com/images/product/large/inP020019.jpg[/img]
Natural Oatmeal Shampoo by Eight In One
Rich and creamy, soothing and moisturizing, Natural Oatmeal Shampoo is ideal for dogs suffering with itchy, flaky skin or skin irritations caused by allergies. Contains 2% colloidal oatmeal, well-known for its exceptionally moisturizing properties. Also contains microencapsulated liposomes with panthenol to provide additional moisturizing benefits. Helps soothe and heal sensitive skin while leaving coat shiny and clean.

When Tyr had itchy spots we got advice from someone here (sorry forgot who) and put some oatmeal in a sock/nylon and put it in the bath with him, we also rubbed it over him - in the sock and very wet. Worked wonders. You could also have to begin investigating food allergies etc if there are no pests involved.
Just wondering, in the first photo the collar appears to be a flea collar - is it?

Dogpaddle- thanks for replying! :D
I was beginning to freak out alittle. :o (You know how moms get :roll: )
But to answer your question....... Yes it is a flea collar.
Also she just got her first heartworm med. July 3rd.
You don't think that, that could have something to do with it?

Oh, and I also just gave her 3/4 of a teaspoon of childrens benadryl.
Is that to little? The vet told me to give her one adult dose. But I don't have adult benadryl, and i'm affaid of giving her to much. :(

I will try that oatmeal thing when my hubby gets home with the shampoo.
So you just put reagular oatmeal in the nylon sock?
And have it soak in the tub with her?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
And Nostalgia to! :buzi:

Yep, plain old oatmeal (unflavoured - unless you'd like an apple scented dog I guess) put in any old sock or nylon, get it good and wet and soak in tub with it in bath water or sop up some water and rub over body squeezing gently to express oatmealy watery stuff. BTW it feels great on people skin too.
As for the flea collar, I would remove it for a while and see if the skin calms down a bit, I know I got a rash from handling flea collars and a headach from the smell. I doubt its the heartworm med - that was probably too long ago.