Dogomania

pit bull breeders sites???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok, I just got done checking out a few of the breeders sites for APBT's that were displayed above on this site. How, correct me if I am wrong, but exactly HOW am I supposed to be impressed with photos of dogs that are dirty and wearing huge thick link chains around their necks? What kind of garbage is THAT? To me the most obvious thing it shows is that whoemever chained up the dog obviously wasn't wearing his glasses and thought he was tieing up his boat or something. If you're advertising your kennel name, wouldn't it behoove you to place a flattering picture of a clean dog on an appropriate lead, not a ridiculously huge chain and sitting in the dirt? Good God, some of these people, I swear...

Guest Anonymous

I didn't find T-Town, but I found A-Town. Gee, how impressive--NOT. Most dogs looked starved and like they were cross-bred with a lab or something, and there was no uniformity of type, either. Hm. Hey, get this, here are some whopping good choices for kennel names (NOT) and I found them on some ridiculous game dog site: Cut Throat, Hellz Comin, Mass Carnage, Slayer. Wow, let's just perpetuate the bad image of pit bulls, why don't we? Way to go, a**h***s...

Just sickening to see how one of God's most loyal and intelligent creatures is being abused and exploited by people all about making a buck and promoting violence. I love how they pose their dogs, too, yanking at the lead, some of them in mid-bark, ribs sticking out and some obviously scarred. Hmm, wonderful specimens. Disgusting that people who do this garbage are allowed to reproduce.

[quote name='pup1']I didn't find T-Town, but I found A-Town. Gee, how impressive--NOT. Most dogs looked starved and like they were cross-bred with a lab or something, and there was no uniformity of type, either. Hm. Hey, get this, here are some whopping good choices for kennel names (NOT) and I found them on some ridiculous game dog site: Cut Throat, Hellz Comin, Mass Carnage, Slayer. Wow, let's just perpetuate the bad image of pit bulls, why don't we? Way to go, a**h***s...

Just sickening to see how one of God's most loyal and intelligent creatures is being abused and exploited by people all about making a buck and promoting violence. I love how they pose their dogs, too, yanking at the lead, some of them in mid-bark, ribs sticking out and some obviously scarred. Hmm, wonderful specimens. Disgusting that people who do this garbage are allowed to reproduce.[/quote]

Is this

[url]http://atownpits.homestead.com/[/url]

the site you were talking about? They actually look like good breeders to me but I'm not an expert.

Guest Anonymous

No, I'm sorry, I did not clarify myself very well! Sorry! No, I meant to say that I found A Town Pits, not T Town Pits. I should have started a new paragraph after that. Sorry! Didn't mean to mislead! I was not impressed with some of the latter names that I saw, A Town wazs not one of which I was speaking. Thanks for making me clarify that. :-)

Guest Anonymous

No, it is not just you, I agree. They are obviously cross-bred with dogue de bordeaux or some mastiff-type dog. Yay, all we need is a 150 lb pit bull.

Forgive me but I need some clarification because the only info on the differences in APBT/AST/"pit bulls"/Staffordshire Bull Terriers I've got comes from Animal Planet breed profiles and stuff like that:

The max weight of the largest of these dogs (American Staffordshire Terrier) appears to be around 65 lbs/29.5 kgs. The smaller (Staffordshire Bull Terrier) seem to be around 35 lbs/16 kgs (a really nice size dog for my preferences.)
A lot of the breeder sites are boasting about dogs from 70lbs/32kgs to over 105lbs/48kgs.
I understand that these dogs may be poorly bred or have other breeds included but still - that is a a really huge difference.
Has Animal Planet led me astray on the correct weight for these breeds.

She's an APBT. Red noses aren't permitted in either AmStaffs or Staffies. Occasionally, a red nosed AmStaff will pop up, but it's very uncommon.

You have to remember that the weights in the standards were written years ago, when dogs were usually kept more fit than today. There can be a huge weight difference between a couch potato dog and a well conditioned dog... as much as 20 lbs. Also, the weight "limits" on the standards are only "preferred" weight ranges... a dog who is otherwise correct, but slightly larger than standard (say, 75 lbs), but still proportional in weight/weight would likely be placed above a standard size dog with structural faults. Now, if two dogs who were both conformationally correct, but one was above standard in weight/height were shown against each other, the more standard in size should be considered more "correct" and be placed above the larger.

If you look at a lot of the "huge pit bull" sites, you'll see that many of the dogs aren't so much tall, as they are extremely overweight. I remember seeing one that was 18" tall at the shoulder, and weighed almost 90 lbs... Goo is 21" tall at the shoulder and has always been under 60. Then there are the others who are much taller than standard... it's likely that those beasts are not purebred APBTs, but mastiff mixes. I guess what I'm getting at is that I think it's possible to have an uncommon 70-75lbs "fit" APBTs, and possible to have 80 lbs fat APBTs, but extremely unlikely to end up with a 90 lbs+ APBT that is, in fact, an APBT. There is NO way that these huge dogs are being produced on a consistent level without there being some other breed mixed in to throw out the huge size.

Edit:
On APBTs and AmSTaffs being the same breed... they have the same conformation standard, and there are dogs that are registered as both APBTs and AmStaffs. Some argue that they started as the same breed, but grew apart due to the different paths breeders took.... but how many UKC show APBT breeders still work their dogs today? Not too many, though there are some. I think that in effect, the UKC show-bred APBT and AKC AmStaff are nearly identical breeds, however, the APBTs that are still being worked today are not the same, though they are similar in that they all came from the same stock, and all have similar characteristics, though the show versions had been geared more towards "pretty" at this point. In terms of working ability, I'd say that the worknig bred APBT comes first, followed by the UKC dogs, where a good number still do some sort of work, then the AmStaffs, there are still a few working AmStaffs out there, but not as many as there should be.

Thank you both Goo and K. You have unmuddied the waters.
BTW K - I think Tiny is gorgeous, Max and Asia are cute too and Max's markings are unique - looks sortof Rottie/Dobie colouring but more blended, but Tiny is soooo cute and looks so ready for adventure, paticularly in that scenery.

Guest Anonymous

:o I do Agree that several of the dogs on Petersons pitbulls site are severely deformed and way oversized for the breed. But I disagree with the comment sating that Apbt's should be uniform in type and should not look like labs. Apbt's are/were primarily a working breed bred (in the past) to catch Bulls they are now very talented working dogs and are very successfull in many dog sports they are not a pretty fluffy poodle or a Bichon Frise they are were and always will be bulldogs. Looks should be important to an extent as proper conformation and structure are important to a working animal. But Looks are not the most important aspect of them and to down a breeder just because a dog has a snipey muzzle is not the right thing to do take a look at Old pictures of Wilder /Hemphill dogs most of them have snipey muzzles also Big giant Short stocky dogs are not the original Apbt and breeders who are into breeding to preserve and better the breed should not be trying to change it into another breed.

I won't even go into chains as I know how the rest of the board feels about them but at least they are honestly telling you how they keep their animals they could lie and say they are never chained and yet have them chained 24-7 how would you be able to tell the difference? Since they are chained then yes they are most likely going to be outside dogs and outside dogs are generally pretty dirty. Now if they said they were inside dogs and then showed you a dirty picture then you would know different wouldn't you? Anyways there are many many bad breeders out there and if you really want to stop them then people need to stop buying their puppies if they could not sell them they would most likely go away.

[url]http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75886[/url]
[quote]

all you pit bull lovers, and dog lovers please check out this disgusting
football site, its is suppose to be about footy, but it is a pack of

fairies bashing the pit bull.