Dogomania

Advantage versus Frontline

ferky1

The vet last weekend said that it's time to get Miles started on flea medication (for prevention only, he doesn't have any). He scoured the office for Frontline but they didn't have any for dogs under 10 lbs. Instead he gave us Advantage and said that the only difference is lack of tick preventative but since Miles is indoors 90% of the time and we don't live in a wooded area, it's no big deal.

Now I see that some dogs have had skin reactions to Advantage and I can easily get Frontline for small dogs on the internet. I can't imagine a situation where Miles would come into contact with a tick, but better safe than sorry, right? If my vet's first instinct was to go with Frontline then aren't I better off getting it from the internet, using it and ditching the Advantage? Any reason not to go with the Frontline?

No I have used Frontline for a while now and last month I changed to Advantix which is quicker at killing fleas and ticks than frontline is,but I have to get it from a friend who imports it as it isn't readily available in the uk.

I have never heard of anyone having problems with frontline. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

How much does your dog weight? If it's really close tot he 10lb mark, it would be safe to use the FL for 11-26lbs. The product has that safeguard, and it is guaranteed also, btw.
I live right outside of Philly, and this entire area is horribly bad with ticks. I can't tell you how many cases of lyme disease we see in such a short period. It's unreal.
As long as you get the lyme vac, I wouldn't sweat too much over the frontline vs advantage issue.
Also, PetMeds, sellers of those products online, have had countless lawsuits against them. I would never go through there, besides it's actually more expensive, as we;ve found out. They've also been proven to forge dr signatures and give out serious heart medicine etc. It's happened at our hospital, and many many others. THat in and of itself is deadly, and one of the many reasons why they've been hit with lawsuits etc. They're sneaky and have changed their name, to fool people. Most of the time, the average Joe has no clue about their devious, dangerous, and illegal activities.

I would stick with Frontline Plus, my 7 lb. maltese had problems with Advantage, skin was cherry red and itching all over. I have heard of other little ones having problems. On the front of the Frontline Plus package the weight range is a few pounds over what I need but the vets nurse told me that it's really for dogs under 25 pounds. Said that the manufactor ( I think it's Meric or something like that) has sent out letters to the vets with this info and when the new packaging comes out it will indeed reflect that info. Anyway she offered to let me read the letters , I declined but when you take the actual vial out it does say 25-0 pounds. I called the manufactors 1-800 number to verify and it's true, it can be used on these little pupsters. If in doubt and to be on the safe side call them. When I used the Advantage I halved the dose and still had problems.

It is so weird you asked, Rowie has just recently gotten over a tick infection!

She was covered in ticks, we don't know how it happened. It started with one, then two, suddenly they where everywhere. She started to lose wieght and it was getting seriuose. We didn't go to our regular vet, but another one. She gave us all kind of medicine's without a label! I finally had enough and went to our regular vets, after cutting all of Rowie's fur off, giving her an injection, and medicine without labels! Our REAL vet was much better. All she did was give us Frontline. And my God you should se the change! Only a few days later mostof the ticks where gone. They started to lessen and lessen. In one month they where 100% gone. I was so happy! I still use it today and swear by it. :wink:

I know Miles doesn't have a tick infection, but I would suggest Frontline. It probably saved my pooches life! I'm not sure about the wieght though. Maybe you could give it in smaller doses? If not, order from the internet. I wish I could get Advantix though, but AS USUAL it's not found here. :(

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

My vet has given me Frontline to use on my little Pug puppy & it really worked well. She had a large tick on her & within hours it dropped off.
My puppy weighs a lot less than 10lb.

Frontline can be used on pups from the age of 2 weeks of age as in a spot on the skin on the nape of the neck. I swear by it and its the fastest selling product at our practice.

A tip for anyone that uses it: Unscrew the top of the bottle and use a syringe to draw out the liquid, which should be placed on the skin, not the fur. it is useless if its sprayed as the fleas don't bite fur; they bite skin. Thats why its much more economical and effective to use a syringe and directly spot it onto the skin.

I do not know about Advantage, but i do know about Advantix. Advangix is better then frontline in tick prevention. And i mean a lot better. I work in a vet office, and i know many people who sware by it. I also live in Rockland County, in lower New York, just north of the city, and we have a lot of ticks in our area, and few flees. Advantix is a bit more expensive, but i belive that it is worth it in my area. Frontline is better with flees then advantix from what i can tell. There was a pug that came into the office with a heavy flee infestation. We applyed advantix, and it did not improve. We gave a capstar pill, but that did not help eather. We then applyed Frontline, and that cleared it up.
While this is, of corse, not an offical case study, and could have just been fron this one case, it looks like Frontline is better for Flees, thought it will do ticks, and Advantix is better for Ticks, but it will work on flees. Advantix is also advertised on having bugspray, so mosquetos won't bite, but i don't belive that...
Also, the difference is that with Frontline, the flee or tick needs to suck the blood before it dies. With Advantix, the flee or tick just needs to clime on the fur, and then it will fall off dead.
DO NOT GIVE ADVANTIX TO CATS. IT WILL KILL THEM. THERE LIVER AND KIDNEYS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE MEDICEN. IT IS NOT LIKE FRONTLINE WHERE YOU CAN GIVE A BIG CAT A SMALL DOG DOSE. IT WILL KILL A CAT
I hope this helps clarify
Zac