Dogomania

Greyhound Remembrance Day - Shawfield, Glasgow, UK

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

As you may be aware, Sunday July 27th is Greyhound Remembrance Day. At Racing Stadiums across the UK, events will take place to mark the 77 years of greyhound racing in this country and the suffering of thousands of dogs associated with it.

At Shawfield Stadium in Glasgow, on Sunday 27th July, a wreath will be laid to mark the years of abuse. Hopefully, either Tommy Sheridan or Rosie Kane will lay this wreath. We would very much like for anyone who would be able to attend this small event to do so. Rescue greyhounds will be in attendance, as well as various other dogs - small dogs are very much welcome to show that greyhounds can get along with small furries too, despite their negative image. The event hopes to spread awareness among the general public of the need to boycott greyhound racing and also to encourage the adoption of ex-racing greyhounds, some of which they can of course meet on the day.

If you would be interested in attending Shawfield on the 27th, please drop an email as soon as possible to either myself [email][email protected][/email] or Amanda [email][email protected][/email] , or ring Amanda on 01620 829711 (after 5pm every night).

I hope that you can attend. Even if you can't, please pass this onto anyone you know who may be interested, and post a copy on relevant message boards.

Thank You,

Sarah Thomas-Thompson

[url]www.greyhoundaction.co.uk[/url]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Today is the Shawfield event for Greyhound Remembrance Day, and there are also other events across the UK. I'll be taking along the plaques for you and will see if I can get any photos for the site :)

Unfortunately, racing supporters are also planned to turn up on the day to attempt to disrupt the wreath lating ceremony. :x These include Scotland's largest greyhound charity, the Greyhound Awareness League. Here's hoping an otherwise diginified day is not spoiled by these people...

Guest Anonymous

There should be a police element there today, as there will be acouple of politicians there in support. However, doesn't stop them shouting and generally making a nuicance of themselves :roll: Hopefully they will show themselves up for the press... :evil:

It makes me sad though that our biggest greyhound charity in this country supports the industry. The woman that runs it is the only woman in rescue I know who doesn't want her work to dry up! :roll: