Dogomania

Have 2 dogs, thinking about a 3rd. Need input

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello. Just found this site. Looks great. We have a bassett hound (Glory) and a Blue heeler mix (Freedom). Both are almost 1 year old. We have a 2 story, 3 bedroom house with an acre of fenced yard, and no kids (yet, despite my mothers complaints). We went to the humane society (same place we got Freedom) and fell in love with a St. Bernard \ Great Pyrense mix. We are now trying to decide if we should get another dog. We are not worried about the size, we love big dogs. We have plenty of space.

Our hearts say yes, but our brains keep telling us its a bad idea, but we are not sure why.

Is it much harder to take care of 3 dogs versus 2?

Any input?

Thanks
Tom
aka Freedom and Glory's hand servant

Welcome notchris! :D

Getting another dog is something big. You and your wife should really brainstorm and think about it. Sit down and think of all the things that could go wrong, and all the good things too. Are you ready for another dog? Another dog (especially this big one) means more food, training, toys, bed...etc. Which equals more money. Then the possibility that your other dogs might not get along with the new dog. Ask the shelter/rescue if you can take the dog home on a "trial". Is he good at home? Gets along well? No behavriol problems? If so, are you willing to take the time and pateince to solve it? Is he house trained, if not, ar you willing to take the time (and since he is a older doggie he will be harder to house train) to house train him? Is he trained? If not, are you willing to take the time and money, to train him? Just some of the things you need to think about. You will need to talk to your wife about it, both of you will need to think about it. :wink:

You will also need to do some heavy research on both breeds. Both are big dogs, that drool. Sometimes a dog will be more prone to inherited genetic dieseases then others. I think both breeds are prone to Hip Dysplasia. Also, see if both breeds are fit for your lifestyle. But since this is a mix, it can behave in a tottaly different way! So be prepared for surprises! :wink:

The most important thing is to listen to your gut instinct! :wink: Most of the time, our instincts are right! :wink:

Good luck and keep us updated! :D We would love some pics! :D

Ahhhhh, another Saint mix? :iloveyou: I just adopted one and prior to getting him, I was very concerned about the SHEDDING and DROOLING as K clearly pointed out. But -- I think I got the best of both breeds - he has very short hair and needs an occasional brushing, and the drooling...slobbering is only at mealtime. I keep the towel near his bowl at all times for a good rub-down after he eats/drinks. So don't have despair - if he's a mix - then he may not get all of the not-so-heartwarming traits of a pure Saint.

Re: the third dog issue - can't answer that - I just got my second. I couldn't imagine a 3rd, but hey - all the more love to go around! Definitely a trial period would be nice since you won't know if the other 2 doggies get along with him until he's really at your home.

Welcome to Dog-O-Mania notchris!
Well about the third dog, a trial period is Definitely ideal.
That way you and your wife can see how he acts around the other dogs, how he behaves at mealtimes ...etc. And just how he is really!
You should think how a third dog would affect you and your wife and you other two dogs, not just financially but physically, is this dog going to tire you out, or take away your personal time?
Take time to think about it with your wife, and let us know what happens!
:wink:

In addition to all the great advise so far I would like to mention the following:
- the new dog may eat as much as your other two put together depending on how active he is
- yearly shots, heartworm, flea treatment etc - find out if your vet gives a group discount
- I am easily able to walk my two dogs on a leash and splitter but I never could walk all three easily by myself
As for HD concerns - after talking with my vet and working with Tyr I would not be too concerned.
We had three in a house smaller than yours with a yard smaller than yours and yes it was some work and yes sometimes you couldn't just walk straight through the house without stepping in drool, dog toy, doghair creatures or dog (ok maybe never) but I loved it.

I have six dogs. I haven't had less than four for two years, and it's been five years since I've had less than three. Three is not an extravagant amount of work, but it is a bit extra. If you have two dogs, you've got one hand to walk each. Now you have to train three to not pull at all, or you're on an impromptu iditarod. You also can break up a fight between two if you have two people there, or if you have one leash and a stable post. When three's in the fight, things get hectic, and you're almost sure to get bitten or nipped, or scratched, just because it's such a big row. But three (or more) has it's advantages...such as an extra head to pet. Another face to kiss. Another little heart to love you. Another personality altogether in your house. When I had just my three, Sandy, Buddy, and Gypsy, it was idealic.(sp?) They were extremely well trained and things ran like a well-oiled machine. When I got up in the morning, they formed a respectful line. Every night, they wrestled until they dropped. When I headed toward bed, I would call out, "it's bedtime, guys" and they would walk, single-file, to thier beds. Another advantage to three...if you have to take just one, such as a special trip to the petstore or a vet visit, there are two at home, keeping each other company. I found they actually learned MORE when all were there during a training session. Gypsy is the ONLY one of my dogs that I taught to shake hands. Buddy learned from her, and India from him. India is the ONLY dog I taught to clap--gypsy and buddy clap from her. Calliope and buddy both crawl, and I'm not sure who taught who. Brat (a dog I had temporarily) learned to paw at your knee for a petting from watching Sandy. And there's the touching scenes of teamwork--such as the mutual conspiracy to tip a whole ham off the table, and NO ONE fought over it as it was wolfed down...I just found the empty platter. There's also the pack mentality--if your dominant dog is well trained, you'll most likely have a well-trained trio ...the key to running a multiple dog household is a sense of humor (a very good one) lots of patience, and a lot of training. A LOT of training. Good luck with whatever you decide, I know I could never have less than three dogs...maybe two if things got dire...but I don't know if I could ever, ever, have just ONE.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all the good advice. We are still trying to decide. The things we are worried about the most are things like whether or not our in laws would appreciate us having another dog to bring down for the holidays. Plus, if we decide to leave them at home with my mom or someone, it is a bigger hassle for them. Also, we can't fit another dog on our bed, so we would have to teach them how to sleep on the floor. We bought a king size bed a few months ago, mostly because we wanted the space, but partly because the dogs sleep on the bottom part of the bed.

But, after last night, I still want her. I got home from work and laid down on the couch. Glory jumped up on the couch and laid down on my chest while I talked to my wife. She just layed there all sweet and loving. It was nice.

*sigh*

This is a tough decision.

I would advise crates--they'll solve two out of three of your problems--dogs LOVE having a space they call thier own and will willingly sleep in thier crates, doors open, tongues lolling, bellies exposed, feet in the air. they'll store toys in there and prefer to be fed in there with the door shut--no competition from others when they are locked in with just them and thier dinner. Your in-laws will also appreciate that the dogs are given a private space, not running willy-nilly in thier house, potentially destroying items. But as for petsitters...you'll have to pay more, but it won't be much bigger of a hassle.

Guest Anonymous

We crated our first to girls for a while, but then stopped since they never seemed to use them except at bed time when the knew there would be a treat in there for them. Plus, we would need a much bigger crate for the new puppy. He / She is gonna be a big dog.

We just figured they didn't like the crates, so once they would sleep through the night without using the bathroom on the carpet, we let them out. Then, Freedom would jump on the bed to sleep. Well, that was followed by Glory whineing and scratching at the side of the bed wanting to be picked up at all hours of the morning. So, we got her a little automan looking thing to boost herself on to the bed. We are suckers.

We don't know much about raising dogs. Our girls are sweet and listen most of the time. The can both sit, and shake. They are a little rowdy when we first start a walk, but then calm down after a bit.

• 2 weeks later...