Dogomania

mixed breeds

sled dog musher

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Anonymous

We had a purebred cocker spaniel growing up and she was the so sweet. Now, we have a mixed breed dog that is different, but just as fun. He's great. He's still a puppy with puppy tendencies, (chewing, digging, etc.) but he's learning. He's awesome. He's a Lab/English Pointer mix. He's still a puppy. He's 9 1/2 months old. The avatar kind of makes him look blue, but I took the picture when the sun was setting. But, his name is Baxter.

Guest Anonymous

our house is chock full of mutts. even the cat! :lol:

Gypsy is a pit bull/German shorthair pointer mix:
[img]http://pluto.imagemagician.com/images/pitbullykisses/mar21.jpg[/img]

Larry is a Staffordshire bull terrier mix:
[img]http://pluto.imagemagician.com/images/pitbullykisses/mar11-4.jpg[/img]
(that's my sister he's with)

Lucky, the "family dog" is possibly a small Lab/Doberman mix:
[img]http://pluto.imagemagician.com/images/pitbullykisses/luckpup3.jpg[/img]
(she's a pup here.. probably close to a year. she's 11 now)

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I've had 2 purebreds (as a kid) a German Shepherd named Captain and a Beagle named Charlie. The rest of our family dogs were all mixes, as is my current baby.

I have a mixed breed named Kyra. She is a mix between a Lab and doG knows what else. I love her to pieces! Although, mutts don't escape all diseases and such. Kyra was recently said to have arthritis and hip dysplasia. Arthritis any dog could get...but I have heard that hip dysp is very common in Labs. I guess she earned that through one of her parents. Too bad stuff like that can get passed on. :cry:

Guest Anonymous

I have a mixed breed called Jesse. Jesse's breeds are schnauzer, fox terrier, Finnish Spitz and poodle. Jesse is a wonderful dog and very important to me.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I grew up with a lot of mixed breed dogs and have owned a few. My parents didn't have very many purebred dogs. My husband and I have only had one.

We have a Chi/Miniature Pinscher and a Daschshund mix now.

I have had these these in the past or my parents have:

Cocker Spaniel/Lab mix- I was about 7 years old when my parents had him.

Collie mix- my parents dog I was only around 4 or 5 years old.

Poodle Terrier mix- my parents had one and I have had one.

Lab/Beagle mix- I got him after I was married,but ended up giving him to my grandparents. I will never give up a dog like that again. My oldest daughter was only 5 months old and I had a hard time keeping up with them both. He is now living with my grandparents at their farm and is very happy.

Sheltie or Collie/Spitz mix- he was my husbands dog he went to the RB last year. He was a really great dog and was so great kids. :D

Yay! Both my girls are mutts.

Zoey is a Borzoi very likely mixed with a Border Collie. One of the officers at the Animal Control facility we adopted her from was familiar with the neighborhood she came from, and this was our best determination. She might be called a Lurcher althought she wasn't intentionally cross-bred with the notion to create a coursing dog in mind.

China is pretty much a Siberian Husky, though there some other type of dog somewhere in her ancestry. My best guess, given her coloration, is that there was a beagle somewhere in her bloodlines, or something similarly hound colored.

Anyway, my girls are geat, and Iwouldn't trade them for a purebred anything!

I know this post is pretty old, but I had to respond :lol:
The only purebred Ive ever had is my russian blue cat - all my dogs have been mixes. when I was growing up we had a small terrier mix named Brandi, and a lab/rottie named Shane. My biggest mix is one of our dogs now - Bongo, he came from Guam and there they call them Boonie dogs (wild dogs who are descendants of both military working dogs and pets who were left on the island after WW2) we call him a shep mix, but the vet says he also is dobie, greyhound and dog knows what else!! :lol: Bailey is my beagle mix - the vet says she may be mixed with either dobie or whippet, but Im not so sure..... our training instructor thinks some sort of herding dog is more likely...... shes a little taller than a beagle, but fairly thin and primarily black with tana nd white accents :wink: I love my mixes!

Hahah, I had a freind from Guam who ownes two 'Boonie Dogs'. She told me that they call them Marrianas (sp?) Racing Hounds and are almost considered to be a breed of sorts by the locals. I found this funny because one of her dogs looks like a Yellow Lab mix and the other looks about how you described Bailey.

Haha how cool! I havent heard the term marianas racing hound, but its def a good name for them! I have heard that they are considered their own breed in a way - and they can look totally different!
here is a pic of my two- Bongo, the boonie dog is the bigger on the left. they look very similar, but bongos ears normally stand up like a shep (I dont think he was too happy about the photos!) and their hair is very different!

[img]http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A%3B%3A%3A6323232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2326%3D%3A%3B3%3D%3A7%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23235738336%3B9ot1lsi[/img]

I saw a interesting mix today. He was a owner turn in at the shelter. His name is Casper. He is a Basset hound X White GSD. He is the hight of the basset with basset legs and length but the white coat and coat type of the GSD and the pointy ears and face of the GSD. He was neat to look at and a very nice pup he is only 8mos if I remember right.

I have a Boxer mix and a Husky mix. They are both great dogs the husky mix is very laid back and usually calm and the boxer mix is so hyper(guess she is making up for the other ones lack of energy) LOL.

I've had both mixes and purebreds during my life......
When I was young we had a LabX named Duke, after Duke died my parents got a Boston Terrier named Boots.
Boots had pups and we kept one and named her Skeeter.
I got my first dog when I was 15, she was a German Shepherd X named Hildegarde. She was my one in a million dog, she was perfect.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d929b3127cceb180a5e485eb0000001610[/img]

Then I got married and my husband had 2 Borzoi, Meisha and Sersa.
When Meisha passed we got Raina German Shepherd.
At some point Sersa ran off with Raina and we never got her back.(I think she was stolen) :x
When Sersa passed on we got Nakita Akita/Rott cross.
Nakita was my best friend until she passed on at almost 15yr. :angel:
Then we got Sassy JRT, Gretchen Lab/Rott , and Maisy JRT.
I love them and they mean the world to me wheter they're pure, mixed or whatever !! :wink:

• 1 month later...

I have always had purebreds....swore by a quality bred purebred dog. UNTIL I whelped a litter of ten Golden Retriever/German Shepherd puppies. They all were solid black....ok I take that back two had little white spots on the chest. They looked as if they were flat coat retrievers. Could have sworn they were black Goldens. I fell in love with them and couldn't part with the one of the males. He has turned out to be an awesome dog. He's got the intelligence and that alert attentive keen thing that GSD's do and that goofy silly Golden attitude. I love him. I actually had one of the puppies shipped from Michigan to California because an owner so desperately wanted that exact mix and had had one before. As far as pets go mixes are awesome.

• 2 months later...

Only two of my 7 dogs are purebred....and the only reason we decided to get a purebred is because my boyfriend needed them to work the sheep.

Butch and Sash working Kelpies from champion bloodlines and were hidiously expensive,but worth the investment,as they work their little butts off for us.

My 5 other dogs are all much loved mutts.2 were rescues Becka is a GSD/cattle/lab.While Kynan is staffy/lab.

Kellie is a dobie x.Gemma is a dingo x and finally there's Milly (a lhasa apso/maltese).

Their all awesome mutts :D :D and I wouldnt swap them for anything in the world

• 2 months later...

Our vet [i]thinks[/i] Mason has a little bit of Doberman...

Anyways he looks every bit like a black lab except in certain light his coat has a reddish tint to it, and a white spot on his chest.

Far more athletic than any lab I have seen. The first thing people say is "Man does that dog have a set of legs on him." :D