Dogomania

Safest age to neuter?

Papillons

Hi everyone!

I'm back with another question. I have a (now) 14 week old Papillon male. We were going to show him, as he was sold on a "show quality" basis. But, his lip pigment just isn't as perfect as I'd want it to be, and I don't want him bred because of it. (I feel, why take him to his championship if there's a quality in him I wouldn't want bred to another dog anyway.) Oh well. :(

In your opinion -- When's the best age to neuter? He's just a little guy (a little less than 4 pounds) who exhibits no aggressive behaviors, very much a gentleman. I was thinking 6 months. Some papillon breeders have it so their dogs are neutered before going to their new homes at 12-16 weeks. I feel that's too young! But maybe I've been misinformed.

Also.... Isoflurane. What are your feelings on it? Papillons are ultra sensitive to anesthesia. I think Isoflurane is a better option since it doesn't stay in their system long. (Just goes through their respiratory system.) (Correct?)

Thanks!

Colleen and Colby :D

Is it possible the lip pigment might still change since he is so young? Is there an age at which it is 'set' pretty much?
While I understand and appreciate your concern over this minor 'blemish' so to speak, what if he matures into an otherwise outstanding little Pap?
True not all breed champions should be bred, but what would it hurt to show him a bit and see what the judges think of him otherwise?
Just some musings of mine, certainly not trying to say what YOU should do in this regard!
If you do decide to neuter, I believe 6 months is still the average but I've heard many times that earlier neutering is of little risk and perhaps easier on the pup to recover from.

Hi Carol,

Thanks for the reply! Actually, his pigment isn't that off. For Papillons the options are Black, and Liver. But Liver is severely penalized in the show ring. His pigment is black. But, a weak black. It's actually called "Snow Nose". With exposer to sun and warm weather, it would increasingly become darker. (Which it has over the past few days even!) His confirmation is great, his bite is perfect and everything else fits the breed standard thus far. I would love to be able to show him.

I'm going to wait a month or so and then make up my mind. But I want to educate myself as much as possible about the neutering incase I do go that way.

Thanks again!
Take Care!
Colleen

most dogs are neutered between 5 and 8 months of age. Many humane shelters and veterinarians are starting to neuter male animals at a younger age, even 6-14 weeks of age. This early neutering does not affect the growth rate, and there are no appreciable differences in skeletal, physical, or behavioral development between those animals neutered early than those neutered at a more traditional age. It must be remembered that younger animals may need different anesthetics and are more prone to hypothermia (lower than normal body temperature) during surgery. As long as procedures are modified to account for these differences, early neutering is very safe. In fact, animals neutered at a younger age often have faster recoveries than those neutered when they are older.
Isoflurane is the anesthetic of choice in most Veterinary pratices..it's safe enough to use on pregnant animals (including C-sections) and animals with heart problems. When you have your appointment for your next vaccines and discussing the surgery ask your Vet to ensure this anesthetic is used (although, they probably already are using it)

I agree with the others...if your dog is show-quality, you may want to give him a chance and see how he does :) How is his conformation in other ways?

On the other hand, I personally would not want an unneutered male dog! I think that before 6 months is usually ideal, as that's when they're fairly mature physicall but before they realize, "Hey, I'm a guy."

Thanks everyone, for responding!

You've made me want to give Colby a chance to 'strut his stuff'. :wink: I've signed us up for some handling classes in a few months. If one of us doesn't really like it, we'll quit and find something else to do.

K, you mentioned seaweed for helping to improve pigment, I'll have to check that out! Sounds great. Someone also told me that Vitamin D would help. Anyone heard of that? (The pigment is only a problem on his lips and not anywhere else... it's just a little weak.)

Sanvean, you asked how his confirmation was in other ways? Well, I've never shown dogs (only horses!), but I've taken the advice of other Papillon breeders and they've said he's put together well. His bite is lovely, and his gait is quite nice. He also has a very "go gettum" attitude and loves to meet new people. Now, Colby just can't decide what color he wants to be. Started out as a black and white... last week he was a dark sable, now we're onto a lighter sable with gold flecks. lol

Thanks again, for the advice everyone!! 8) Very much appreciated!
Colleen