Dogomania

Another dog shot by a cop.

StarFox

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I despise cops. Ninety-five percent of them are jerks on power trips. I moved in "alternative" (goth, punk, etc.) circles in HS and college and can't tell you how many times my friends and I were harrassed because of the way we looked.

Almost every cop I've ever known personally was a grown-up bully.

[quote]When she steps out of the shower, she still looks down to make sure she doesn't trip over him. When she gets into bed, she misses him lying next to her. And, worst of all, when she comes home from school, he hasn't been there to greet her and give her a kiss.[/quote]
:cry: :cry: :cry:

[img]http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/news/img/jun03/spritea071903.jpg[/img]
:cry: :cry: :cry:

R.I.P. Sprite.... :cry:

If a kid had come bounding up to him from the back yard, would this officer had shot the child? :x

The owner is very brave...losing a pet is really hard.... :cry:

I despise cops too! :x Although the rule is banned here now (I think :-?) dogs who wore no tags/identification or where strays where shot. :-? (This is in Bahrain). I think I posted the story about the two dals? They where shot, too.... :cry:

Angelboddy- I'm cautious of Police officers also...I constantly worry about Zebra when I have him outside and an officer drives by. beacuase Zebra is on a 30 Ft. leash I worry that a cop will drive by and think that he is loose or something and cite me. I thought cops where suppose to help? Not cause more trama?

• 1 month later...

I agree that in this case the force was unecessary. The most harm the dog could have done was leave a flesh wound. It couldnt have KILLED him, for heavens sake he was only a cocker spaniel.

I work in the police deparment and hope to go on the road soon after training. I am a dog lover as well. Although I understand everyones feelings about police and the unecessary use of force I think that you are grouping all police in the same catagory. Not all of them are quick to draw their guns. It is easy to say that it shouldnt have been done or something should have been done different, but unless you are in the high stress situation you can't say for sure and you can't be sure of what YOU would have done.

Having said that, there are instances that make me sick to my stomach and this was one of them. I mean if it was a rotty or a doberman running to him and growling then I would understand the officer to be wary. These large dogs can kill someone. Having said THAT...just because a dog is running to you does not mean it is going to bite you...big dog or not.
Dogs are just curious of their surrondings and Sprite was just trying to investigate the stranger that walked into his yard.

I wouldnt restrict it to just reading a dogs body language. A cop should be more knowledable of when and when not to pull a gun out. This comes with time and experience. Cops encounter all different kinds of calls daily and they need to be able to handle them all. I feel that "green" cops shouldnt be out on the road alone until they are more experienced and can handle the stressful situations. USING A GUN SHOULD BE THE LAST THING AN OFFICER SHOULD DO...NOT THE FIRST.

But you also have to see that the dogs the cops deal with on a regular basis are not just Fido down the road. They are "guard dogs" that are used to protect drug houses and other illegal activity or they are "fighting dogs" (which is another matter ENTIRELY) so many officers are automatically defensive when a dog is running towards them.

[quote]But you also have to see that the dogs the cops deal with on a regular basis are not just Fido down the road. They are "guard dogs" that are used to protect drug houses and other illegal activity or they are "fighting dogs" (which is another matter ENTIRELY) so many officers are automatically defensive when a dog is running towards them.[/quote]

I appreciate that Camille but a COCKERSPANIEL ??

Ha ha sorry about that...I didnt put my "HOWEVER" in there...this is where the whole "think before you shoot" comes in. If the cop were more experienced and thinking more clearly he would have realized that even IF this dog would have bitten him (which was HIGHLY unlikely) it wouldnt have done much damage...classic case of BAD JUDGEMENT and I am shocked the officer didnt get reprimanded for it...and even more shocked that the woman got fined for it....

Question though...I just scanned the article and didnt read all the details...was the dog in the womans yard when it was shot??

I have 3 cocker spaniels so don't think I am being heart less on this because this makes me very angry :angryy: All I am saying is that these instances 9 times out of 10 are made by officers who are 1. Too young and inexperienced and shouldnt be out on the road yet in the first place or 2. Scared of ANY dogs My main point on the subject was that everyone was so angry at policemen in general when it is just a few who actually use their gun needlessly. We aren't all trigger happY!! LOL

Ha Ha I know...just feel I have to defend my fellow officers out there cause in most cases they LOVE animals...shoot we put our lives in the hands of animals. I have the upmost respect for them. It DID make me angry to see that happen to him...I almost cried actually. You won't make me angry by stating your opinion or asking questions on why I think the way I do...I LOVE to discuss things!!!

But...I am just cool like that...I am what I guess you would call a "good cop" or "soon to be good cop" LMAO