Dogomania

A new way to neuter your pup!

Angelboddy

I was just watching the news, and they we're just talking about a shot that is FDA approved and is called "neutersol" You no longer have to go through putting you dog through surgery to get them neutered. They say you can only use it on pups from 3 months old to 10 months old, but they are working on a shot for adult male dogs now. I will try to find out more info for you guys. But I thought you guys might want to hear about this new neutering method, and hear what you guys might have to say about it. :D

i heard about this shot a while ago. the information i read said that the shot essentially atrophies the testicles so they don't produce anything. i don't believe it has the behavioral effects of traditional neutering, ie. lessening aggression, cutting down on humping and roaming, etc. since this is so new, and doesn't really cut down on unwanted behavior, i would probably opt for the traditional method.

[quote name='mydogroxy']i heard about this shot a while ago. the information i read said that the shot essentially atrophies the testicles so they don't produce anything. i don't believe it has the behavioral effects of traditional neutering, ie. lessening aggression, cutting down on humping and roaming, etc. since this is so new, and doesn't really cut down on unwanted behavior, i would probably opt for the traditional method.[/quote]

I would think that it would have the same effects as surgery, as the end result of both procedures is the same -- the amount of testosterone is drastically reduced.

[quote name='Sanvean'][quote name='mydogroxy']i heard about this shot a while ago. the information i read said that the shot essentially atrophies the testicles so they don't produce anything. i don't believe it has the behavioral effects of traditional neutering, ie. lessening aggression, cutting down on humping and roaming, etc. since this is so new, and doesn't really cut down on unwanted behavior, i would probably opt for the traditional method.[/quote]

I would think that it would have the same effects as surgery, as the end result of both procedures is the same -- the amount of testosterone is drastically reduced.[/quote]

it would stop unwanted puppies but the hornmones are left behind so it will not stop the other issues
I would like to know more it is interesting

I am always amazed at how quick people are to assume something is safe and inject their pets with the newest chemical available. If we have learned anything from PH6 it should be to be skeptical of such new miracle drugs.

This may very well work but chances are it will likely cause more harmful side effects than a regular neuter, in other parts of the body.

If it's FDA approved it should be alright for the pups.
Vet's have used it here in Missouri and said it's just as effective as the normal procedure, but it cost a lot less and the pup does not have to go through the surgery.
The vets say a lot of owners are scared about putting them through surgery to neuter, so thats why they came up with the shot.
Neutering is such a common procedure now a days. I would be more scared of spaying my dog then neutering.

Guest Anonymous

This is chemical castration,which has been used in some countries on sex offenders and it does work,it also reduces the testosterone level,which is what creates the desire in the first place.
Paul

I doubt I'd use it, as neutering isn't a very complicated procedure in the first place. However, I -do- wish there were some alternative to spaying! When my kitties were little, the thought of them having total hysterectomies, which would be very major surgery for people, worried me very much. Of course, I had them done, and they were fine, but I worried a LOT!

Do you know what ProHeart 6 is? Do you understand that FDA approval is meaningless? Do you know any how extensive the clinical trials were?

Injecting a small animal with a high dose of toxic chemicals is never safe! Even if you dont see immediate side effects today, in the end it will cause liver and kidney damage. The body must metabolize it somewhere.

Vets across the country swear PH6 is safe, swear they have been using it for years without reaction. I dont doubt it effectiveness, I doubt it's safety.

More dogs are dying from cancer and kidney and liver failure recently. It is due to over vaccination, over medication, and in general far too many chemicals. Just like bad food, you dont see the result until the very end.

Dont be surprised if 3 years from now we suddenly find out it is not as safe as they thought.

[quote name='Angelboddy']If it's FDA approved it should be alright for the pups.
Vet's have used it here in Missouri and said it's just as effective as the normal procedure, but it cost a lot less and the pup does not have to go through the surgery.
The vets say a lot of owners are scared about putting them through surgery to neuter, so thats why they came up with the shot.
Neutering is such a common procedure now a days. I would be more scared of spaying my dog then neutering.[/quote]

[quote]Neutering is such a common procedure now a days. I would be more scared of spaying my dog then neutering.[/quote]

I agree - neutering is basically an in-and-out procedure - just have to wait for the anesthesia to wear off. Spaying is a total hysterectomy...
I was more concerned getting my female spayed than my males neutered.

However, I would not want to use a new drug either - not without extensive testing and a trail period to see what happens.

I don't think I would personally go for that method as like the others said I would be a bit dubious about the side effects etc.

However as we all know there are so many people out there who seem to be against spaying and neutering (for various reasons). Maybe the convenience of this will sway them. So although I wouldn

a note on FDA approval...

if i am not mistaken, the FDA has also approved ephedrine (Stackers, Yellow Jackets, etc.) for human consumption which has caused heart attacks and strokes...

this combined with the PH6 example is why i would never let the FDA decide what is healthy for me or my dogs!