Dogomania

Training Australian Cattle dogs- Need advice

Marble

I know I've asked for advice for training Dresden a lot of times but I'm just wondering if anyone here, Foster, Bk or anyone else, knows of anything you really need to be careful about when training ACDS or of any ways to help them learn things more effectively. I guess what I'm asking is if there is something specific to the breed that I should know about training her. She's making progress but for a dog as stinking smart as she is it's very slow progress.

I've just started clicker training Dresden, we're still at the very beginning so I can't really say how it's going......Thanks for any help you can give :)

FYI - ACD'S tend to be smart, stubborn, and intelligent, which you already knew. It's a curse, I tell you!! Lab's are intelligent, intelligent enough to know that if I call her in the yard she comes right back, because she knows she cant escape, but if she gets out, forget recall!!

since they are working dogs, ACD's would probably learn better in a
working environment....they like to herd, chase, run. You could try this, I have a friend with BC's that trained them this way.

She has a laser-light pen (NEVER shine it in the dgos eyes, it's detrimental) that she runs along the fence outside. Th dogs try to
"herd" the light, and in the process she instills, sit, stay, come,
using the light. She makes them sit, shines the light, they attune to it immediately. She then runs them thru a complete obedience trial using the light. When they have obeyed sufficiently she then runs it across the fence and lets them chase it, and watches to see where they want it to go. She then lets them "herd" it as a reward. It works good for her.

My suggestion: RUN, RUN far far away...

Seriously, Foster was wired as a puppy but she also comes from direct working lines. I was lucky. She learned things quickly and wanted to please but she had her moments.

We still have a dominance struggle every 6 months or so.

I would make sure that you are #1 and not Dresden. ACD's want to be #1 and will try to do it that. Chances are that Dresden knows the commands and chooses NOT to listen. I would insist on Dresden listening the first time, period. If you give a command twice then they won't do it until the second time you say it. Then they will push it to you saying it 3 times etc....Never allow Dresden to get away with not listening...they seem to learn exactly what not to do and that is what they want.

So I guess I am saying never let them get away with a darn thing...these stubborn beasts will try and take control.

I would suggest joining the MSN cattledog boards. They are nice folks and can answer many many questions.

Thanks for the compliments on Foster...she is a good dog most of the time. I was glad when she became 2...she really became more laid back.

[quote name='Foster']My suggestion: RUN, RUN far far away...

[i]sometimes i think that would be a REALLY good idea :)[/i]

She learned things quickly and wanted to please but she had her moments.

[i]see, that's what i keep hearing from ACD owners, they learn fast.......i also get frustrated because i always read these dog training books and they always say something about how "your dog should catch on very quickly" or, "most dogs learn this with just a few sessions of work", and dresden never [b]looks[/b] like she's learning anything.........

We still have a dominance struggle every 6 months or so.

[i]we have those constantly, i am always reminding her that no, she can't climb on me every time i sit down, no she will not be petted until she sits, no she will not shove in front of me in doorways.......etc etc [/i]

I would insist on Dresden listening the first time, period. If you give a command twice then they won't do it until the second time you say it. Then they will push it to you saying it 3 times etc....Never allow Dresden to get away with not listening...they seem to learn exactly what not to do and that is what they want.

[i]i really try to do this, i know sometimes i mess up but usually i'm pretty good about this. [/i]

So I guess I am saying never let them get away with a darn thing...these stubborn beasts will try and take control.

I would suggest joining the MSN cattledog boards. They are nice folks and can answer many many questions.

[i]i'll check that out :) sounds good.[/i]

Thanks for the compliments on Foster...she is a good dog most of the time. I was glad when she became 2...she really became more laid back.[/quote]

[i]it sounds like i'm mostly doing the right things and maybe the key i'm looking for is waiting till she's two (only another 10-11 months......:)) to really see a lot of improvement and do serious training, until then i guess i'll keep on top of her manners and basic stuff, and meanwhile i'll learn to be patient :)

thank you for the help, foster and courtnek. i really appreciate it, i always thought these comments on how crazy smart cattledogs were must be exaggerated but since i got the crazy mutt i really know it's true...[/i]