Dogomania

Borzoi`s eating problems...

inflow

My friends 1,5 year old borzoi guy thinks that eating is wasting time, so he decided when he was a pup, that he just wont eat...ok he sometines snacks a bit but only that little to stay alive. He is healthy and very energetic, he only has eating problems, wich costs that he can`t compete in dog shows, wich is very depressive to his owner as well as only a fact that her dog is not eating. He has a very good pedigree though.Can anyone advse us something? :sadCyber:

Kavik (Border Collie) used to be the same way. He would always be to busy, to distractable to eat.

When I free fed he would get [i]most[/i] of the food he needed because it was out all the time.

When I tried controlled feeding he had to be locked in the crate with the food until he ate it.

He looks at me like I'm punishing him everytime we put out wet dog food (its ok though because Zaphod (Lab/BC?) is quite happy to help Kavik out with that - :lol: labs. I tried numerouse foods - had much better luck with Mmillenia (Solid Gold), Holistique (Solid Gold) mixed with meat from butcher and Wellness. I also have better luck changing foods once every two - four months because Kavik seems to get bored.

This is not to say I am having great success - Kavik has a fairly standerd BC frame but ways around 26-28lbs (standard for breed is 30-45lbs?) On the other hand he is active and healthy so I am not too worried but I have been researching raw food diets on and off for 8 months now and I'm pretty sure that would be the best. Thinking of switching when this bag of dog food is gone or at least going with the Holistique as it is meant to be mixed with meat and small amounts of other "table foods".
What does your freind feed the Borzoi?

[quote name='Mei-Mei']Does your friend feed a lot of snacks to the Borzoi? Snacks are full of salt and sugar and are delicious, just like pizza is for humans. If the Borzoi is very smart he might be thinking, "why eat this bland nutritious food when I can get delicious snacks?" Your friend may have to cut back on snacks a lot.[/quote]

:wink:

Or cut them out all-together. Pumpkin is the same way, I can only give him treats once in a while or he will stop eating his food, and at 13 years old I don't need my house lion losing weight.

:angel:

[quote name='Mei-Mei']Does your friend feed a lot of snacks to the Borzoi? Snacks are full of salt and sugar and are delicious, just like pizza is for humans. If the Borzoi is very smart he might be thinking, "why eat this bland nutritious food when I can get delicious snacks?" Your friend may have to cut back on snacks a lot.[/quote]
No she does not feed lot of snacks to her Borzoi. Her Borzoi doesn`t eat any kind of food...even snacks are not eatable for him... :(

[quote name='Mei-Mei']I would suggest a visit to the vet just to establish that nothing is physically wrong with the dog.

I have a Great Dane that hardly eats anything. She's thin as a rail. I am always very worried about it but the vet says she's healthy.

A LOT of dogs that we see and think are 'normal' sized are actually overweight. I wouldn't worry to much about the Borzoi's eating habits AFTER the dog had gotten checked by a vet. It may just be a picky eater.[/quote]
she has taken him to the vet and borzoi was physically ok...he IS a picki eater, but becose of that he can`t go to the dog shows...