Dogomania

Help Me Learn Bout Ur Dog Breed :)

Holz_Boomer

Hey! I know alot about dogs, But wanna know MORE!!

So, plz tell me a few things about the breed/s u own!

OK...Irish Wolfhounds///were almost extinct by the end of 17th century...Captain Durham (sp?) revived them...they are the largest/tallest breed in the world..Colours can be white,brittle,red,brown etc

And i don't kno anything important about the German Shepherds :o :( i dont know anything about them that u guyz wouldnt...So any other German Shepherds ownerswanna teach me something? :wink:

Guest Anonymous

First of all GREAT TOPIC!!!
I wish i had thought of it first.
There are a few things about the APBT that are not known, my favorite is that they are the ONLY breed of dog in history to be selectively bred to not bite humans. They are also pound for pound the strongest breed of dog.

the English Mastiff is the heaviest breed of dog, ever although the Saint is the heaviest breed on average.

The Irishwolf hound is the tallest breed, but the Great Dane has the record for the tallest dog.

Ummmmmm... :-? Thats about it. I will of ourse post more after i get a chance to think a little more about the topic.

Ok - for my silly, ridiculous Lab Mix

Labs are not from Labrador - but actually from Newfoundland. They were created by fisherman from a smaller breed of water dog (maybe from Labrador) to use in swimming out to the boats, retrieving the nets and
swimming back to shore.

They have an extremely short coat, that is bred to be very oily, to prevent the fur from absorbing water and weighing the dog down in the water.
They have short floppy ears to prevent water from entering. They have wide heads and broad chests to allow them to drag the nets back, full of fish, to the shore. They did not drag nets with their teeth, a fisherman in the water harnessed the nets to their chests, making it easier to swim back.

They were discoverd in Newfoundland and brought back to England, where they were transitioned from fisher dogs to retreivers. It was found that
they could bring a downed bird back with no trouble out of any water situation. Their coats were perfect for this job, so the next breed step was to give them "soft mouth", so that they would not damage the birds during retreival. This is still one of the primary breed specifics in a working bird dog.

They started out as working dogs and that trait remains
with them today. They are one of the most commonly chosen dogs for
bomb detection, rescue and search. They are not good as police dogs, because they were not bred with the "guarding" instinct of the Shepherds.
They were bred rather as gentle family dogs, and in that environment
they are also one of the most commonly chosen dogs for assistance with the disabled. They make good seeing eye dogs (although Goldens are
somewhat better at that, due to their calmer nature) and are now often
used to help pull paraplegics in wheelchairs, their short hair and less care
of the coat is easier on the disabled. Thye are also used as dogs for the
"Hearing Ear" (part of the Seeing Eye) where they alert deaf people to
situations around them they cannot hear. Goldens are used for this also.

:D

First off the biggest misconception of the Rhodesian Ridgeback is that they did not actually hunt and bring down the lion, they would hold them at bay until the hunter was able to get close enough to make his kill.

They were bred to be a loyal hunting dog, to endure the drastic temperature changes of the African bush, be devoted and trustworthy to the family.

:angel:

Jackie is Golden Retriever/German Shepherd/Collie and Maya is Golden Retriever/Husky. Okay, here goes:

[b]Golden Retriever:[/b] Goldens are easy to train and strong, but their most outstanding trait is character. They are outgoing and devoted companions to all sorts of people, happy and trusting. They make great hunting companions, also. The Golden is a member of the Sporting Group and was first recognized by the AKC in 1925.

[b]German Shepherd:[/b] For nobility of character, purpose, and appearance, few animals can surpass the German Shepherd Dog. This breed's courage, steadfast heart, and keen senses have endeared him to mankind. They make wonderful companions. He is active, but dignified, and will delight in joining you in fishing, swimming, or hiking. He's very fond of children once he gets to know them. The German Shepherd is a member of the Herding Group and was first recognized by the AKC in 1908.

[b]Collie:[/b] Collies are smart dogs with natural herding and protecting abilities. Like all working dogs, Collies need organized activities to thrive. Trained with a gentle, loving hand, they will learn quickly and happily. They are active, proud, and cautious. The Collie will be content in the country or city, as long as he has family companionship. The Collie is a member of the Herding Group and was first recognized by the AKC in 1885

[b]Husky:[/b] The Siberian Husky is an outgoing, fun-loving dog. He is lighter in build than the Alaskan Malamute, and also less bold. But he still requires an alert owner who stays in control, as the Siberian's nature is to roam and explore, as his Artic ancestors did. The Siberian is a member of the Working Group and was first recognized by the AKC in 1930.

What many people don't know about Shar-pei is that the look can be quite different depending on the lines they come from: some have less wrinkles (like mine), others keep wrinkles all over their body into adulthood. Puppies aren't wrinkly when born, but they start growing their skin around 2 weeks. Then they're very very wrinkly and cute, and some people get "the doggie in the window" without realizing that the adorable wrinkle balls grow into their skin somehow and some Pei reach 50-60lb!
Also, there are mini Shar-pei (16-18 inches), but they are not officially recognized. The standard says 18-20 inches. And one last thing... apparently, they have good guarding instincts. Hipppo doesn't know that though :lol: because we've never encouraged her to bark or guard anything. I've been told that she's just a Golden in disguise :P

Jack Russells!!!

I spent a lot of time gathering information and writing this history page for my friends website. It is a great place to learn about Jacks.
[url]http://www.jrtzone.com/history.htm[/url]

Probably the biggest issue in the breed at this time is the parson russell/jack russell debate. Basically parsons have long legs (between 12.5 and 15 inches) and jacks have short legs (from 10 to 12.5 inches). Other than that they are exactly the same dog!!!

[b]Blue heeler (aka Australian Cattle Dog, Queensland Heeler):[/b]
Several breeds are thought to have gone into the making of the heeler including bull terrier, dalmatian, dingo and smithfield (which was an old English breed of herding dog). Basically the English who settled in Australia needed a tough dog who could withstand the extremes of temperature and have the courage and skill to handle almost wild cattle on vast outback properties. They are born white and develop their colour (blue or red) as they get older (approx 3 weeks).
This is the blurb from the present standard: " The general appearance is that of a sturdy, compact, symmetrically built working dog. With the ability and willingness to carry out any task however arduous, its combination of substance, power, balance and hard muscular conditon to be such that must convey the impression of great agility, strength and endurance. Any tendency to grossness or weediness is a serious fault."

[b]Border Collie [/b](which I think he is also crossed with):
[url]http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeds/bordercollies.html[/url]

and possibly a bit of [b]Kelpie[/b] in there too:
[url]http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australiankelpie.htm[/url]

BK is a mixture of all of these but his personality is a lot friendlier than these breeds are generally towards strangers, and he's not growly or bitey at all, so he must have something more mellow in him as well, who knows what is anyone's guess... and this is just another excuse to put a photo of him in!

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SAC0BNkVdx6KgreBZoqdNrbHxY7HxCeppQNgIYwGCs9apoO1dt57OysQLTmGBX5AxmMglrXb9L3NiHCegKHZQq3Wx8cNxzr*rxbTJFMDoHU!AAAAYXIxBA/bkfeb02.jpg?dc=4675409206352022902[/img]

oh and for [b]German Shepherds[/b]

[url]http://www.cluebus.com/holly/gsdfaq.html[/url]

That's a fantastic link- everything you'd ever want to know about them is on that page...

Our shepherd (Rinny) was such a loyal, affectionate sook. He would "cuddle" you by putting his front paws around your shoulders and lick your face. He'd get up to greet you whenever you came outside, no matter how much you insisted he stay put. He was very protective of property and people walking past the gate would get a big WOOF in their ears if they walked too close to the fence. He loved children and most other dogs (yes, he even came to love BK), but he was a very dominant dog and it took three years for BK to wrest away alpha from him. He was also very smart, but not as smart as BK, and he was obssessed with tennis balls; throw a ball and he'd get it and bring it back, this would keep him happy for hours.

About Maltese (from bhejei.com):

Many believe that the Maltese originated on the Isle of Malta in the Mediterranean Sea. However, evidence presented in the Maltese Dogs: Jewels of Woman, (Miki Iveria, pub: Maltese Club of Great Britain) and other sources suggests that the Maltese did in fact originate in Asia. Evidence of dogs resembling the Maltese have been found as early as 5000 - 2000 B.C in ancient drawings, art and writings.

Assuming the place of origin of the Maltese to be Asia, the tiny dogs probably made their way to Europe through the Middle East with the migration of nomadic tribes. The Isle of Malta (or Melita as it was know then), was a geographic center of early trade and explorers undoubtedly found ancestors of the tiny white dogs left there as barter for necessities and supplies.

Maltese were favorites of the Greeks and Romans of old. There are many drawings in existence portraying small, long-haired dogs on pieces of Greek and Roman pottery.

Maltese were first imported into Britain during the reign of Henry VIII. They were certainly favorites in the time of Queen Elizabeth I. By the middle of the 19th century the breed was well established as a pet dog in Britain, and when dog shows began, the Maltese were featured among the early exhibits. Many of the Maltese in the US today trace their heritage back to English imports.

You can read the breed standard here: [url]http://www.bhejei.com/standar.htm[/url]

My personal observations: They are loving, friendly and cuddly little dogs. They adore being with their people at all times. They get along well with other dogs and with cats.

Guest Anonymous

APBT / AST

I put them side by side tentatively as they are considered by many to be entirely different breeds. However it does stand to mention that they are both from the same dogs.

The APBT was bred for gameness and ability. These dogs were routinely put against each other for the amusement of people in pit fights. the dogs were small weighin anywhere from 20-40 lbs. the "game" quality was a major factor in the breeding of these dogs. If a dog quite in the pit, it wasnt bred and was either killed or altered and given away called culling. People who matched APBTs are thought of as monsters today, but then they were highly respected men. they were extremly thourough in the dogs, they would research every single dog in a dogs pedigree be fore they even contemplated a breeding. THis kept the population down and only the good dogs wree allowed to reproduce. This kep the blood pure and the dogs stayed healthy. They also produced another very important quality: these dogs will not under any amount of pain or stress bite a human being. This is something that was bred from the beginning, o matter how game a dog was or how many wins he accomplished biting a person was instant death.
These days people have added size to the apbt and in doing so have altered the aggression. there are still many good lines out there but there are far more bad ones, these are the ones you see on TV and read about. people who mistake aggression for ability and gameness. There are also people who have strived o improve on the APBT by adding blood from other breeds, this is the biggest mistake possible. When you take a dog with the size, power, and ability of an APBT and you mix in a large dog that has human aggressive tendancies.... you see the problems that arise if not look at any site that advocates BSL and they will recites case after case for you. The APBT was at one time a symbol for the american pride and determination in the face of adversity, but now they are monsters hated by most and judged on sight. Only time will tell what is in store for them.

The AST is bred for conformation or looks, the temperment and the build of the dog are the primary focus of the breeding. The AST is bigger than the true APBT as with most things americans have started the bigger is better philosophy. its not uncommon to see AST of 70 - 80 lbs on average with some individuals being well over 100 lbs. The look of the two is decievingly similar and the only way to tell the AST from an APBT is to walk down its pedigree. There are many APBT people that have crossed in AST to get the size and colorations.

hmmmm.... :-? let me think

BK - Nice sites! I have to say the [b]Border Collie[/b] site is pretty much dead on.

From my personal experience BCs can be summed up as [color=red]intense[/color] - about everything - work, [i]play[/i] (just another form of work), snuggles, watching - all intense.

APBTs...
[quote]The AST is bigger than the true APBT as with most things americans have started the bigger is better philosophy. its not uncommon to see AST of 70 - 80 lbs on average with some individuals being well over 100 lbs. The look of the two is decievingly similar and the only way to tell the AST from an APBT is to walk down its pedigree. There are many APBT people that have crossed in AST to get the size and colorations. [/quote]
Most AmStaffs are in about the same size range as show APBTs.... 60-80 lbs fat (some people might say show) weight. Those 60-80 lb dogs would be under 60 lbs if they were in better shape. And most of the 100+ lb dogs are APBT mixes (APBTxDDBx or AB are fairly common), not AmStaff mixes. There's also no need to cross AmStaff into an APBT line when the APBT already carries all the colors, sizes, etc that the AmStaff does.

Also (not related to any of the above) about the APBT/AmStaff, the original Petey was one of the first dogs to be dual registered with the UKC as an APBT, and AKC as an AmStaff. APBTs can be any color, but the UKC prefers that they not be over 80% white (due to problems with lack of pigment), and the AKC does not allow red (dudley) noses in conformation shows. The APBT is a dog who can go out and work all day, then come home and sleep with the family kids at night. They're a study of opposites, strong yet gentle; intense yet fun loving.

Cocker Spaniels...
They're supposed to be a good hunter, and good with kids, though due to overbreeding, many have temperament/health problems. That's all I can think of about them right now :-?

Chihuahuas...
Somebody already did them, but one other thing some of them show... Napolean complex :lol:

Dachshunds...
Originally used to go to ground and hunt badgers... they're tough little dogs, though many of them have been turned into couch decorations by people breeding away from the original temperament. They can be hard to housebreak, and some are very active. It's said that they can run as fast backwards as they can forwards because of how they had to be able to move faster than their quarry as they drew them out of the tunnels. Back problems are very common in poorly bred dachsies, and rather than work to breed out the poor structure (and high probability of back problems) most breeders/owners choose instead to just limit their dogs' activity so as to not chance their ever developing back problems (even then, many still do).

My breed: The Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retreiver

Here is some info on the breed I found at their web page.

The Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever was developed in Nova Scotia in the early 19th Century to toll (or lure) and retrieve waterfowl. The tolling dog runs, jumps, and plays along the shoreline in full view of a flock of ducks, occasionally disappearing from sight and then quickly reappearing, aided by the hunter, who throws small sticks or a ball for the dog. The dog's playful actions arouse the curiosity of the ducks swimming offshore and they are lured within gunshot range. The Toller is subsequently sent out to retrieve the dead or wounded birds.

Tollers thrive in all sorts of weather, and they adapt very well to their surrondings. Tollers are well built with a high degree of agility, alertness and determination. Ideal hight for male over 18 months is 18 - 19 in. Females over 18 months 18-19 in. A inch above or below is allowed. Ideal wieght for a grown male 45-51 lbs, a female 37-43 lbs.
Sorry that that was a bit long... :oops: :wink:
The Toller was bred to retrieve from icy waters and must have a water-repellant double coat of medium length and softness with softer dense undercoat.Color is various shades of red with lighter featherings and underside of tail, and usually at least one of the following white markings -a tip of tail, feet (not extending beyond the pasterns) chest and blaze. The pigment of the nose, lips and eye rims is to be flesh-colored, blending with coat or black.
Tollers are not plagued with many of the genetic problems present in other popular retriever breeds. Presently, breeders are working to keep dysplasia and eye problems to a minimum. Tollers who are part of the breeding pool should be certified by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) to be free of hip dysplasia at the age of two.

The correct temperament of an adult Toller is gentleness (with children especially), intelligence and outgoing in the field. With strangers, adult Tollers generally are somewhat leery at first, especially if the owner is distant. However, when they feel the owner is outgoing and friendly with people, they too show a great deal of friendliness to people. There should be no sign of aggressiveness in a general situation with people or with other animals. Curiosity might be a better word.
Discipline is needed (as with all dogs) - but with firmness NOT HARSHNESS. Control might be a better word than discipline. You must let your Toller know you are the leader of the pack and worthy of its respect and loyalty. Harshness only meets stubbornness. They are very intelligent and will work well with a happy, gentle hand most times.

[b]Shetland Sheepdog:[/b] Faithful, supremely intelligent, and with great beauty, the "Sheltie" as he is affectionately called, originated in the Shetland Islands off the north coast of Scotland. The dwarfing effect of rigorous climate, rugged conditions, limited feed, etc. have over the years produced pint-sized ponies, miniature sheep, and now diminutive dogs.

The Shetland Sheepdog has a very obedient nature and is supremely easy to train, and eager to please. His devoted, docile nature, and keen all-but-human intelligence and understanding, makes him a companion dog par excellence for adults and gentle children. He is an outstanding subject for obedience training. Somewhat reserved with strangers, the Shetland Sheepdog is intensely loyal, affectionate and responsive with his own people. He has a strongly defined sense of boundary, and makes a good little watchdog.

The Sheltie's luxuriant jacket, characterised by its abundant mane and frill, is his crowning glory. A double coat, consisting of long straight harsh hair over a short dense furry undercoat, it requires regular attention to keep it in good order.

Average height: Male: 13-15 inches Female: 12-14 inches.
Weight: Male:14-18 lbs Female: 12-16 lbs.

Life expentancy: 12-15 years

The only drawback to having a sheltie....you can never have just one!!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Ever heard of the Auvergne pointer or Brauqe d' Auvergne? Well they are a pointing breed and from my experience are the most lovingest playfulest protectivest creatures on the face of the earth but dont like other dogs/animals.Duke is our :lilangel:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='gooeydog']APBTs...
Most AmStaffs are in about the same size range as show APBTs.... 60-80 lbs fat (some people might say show) weight. Those 60-80 lb dogs would be under 60 lbs if they were in better shape. And most of the 100+ lb dogs are APBT mixes (APBTxDDBx or AB are fairly common), not AmStaff mixes. There's also no need to cross AmStaff into an APBT line when the APBT already carries all the colors, sizes, etc that the AmStaff does. [/quote]

While i totally agree with the first part, most large APBTS are mixes, most commonly Presa, Corso, Neo, and Douges. THere are Quite a few kennels that are Mixing the APBT and AST. One need only look at the peds and you will see Ruffian, Grey Fox, Tonkawa, Jeep, Bolio, and all other lines together. Coloration isnt always the case but can be, as well the size of the AmStaff is on average larger than the APBT and you can usually track down AmStaff blood in the big APBT lines.

At least that is what i have found in my research.

There are a lot of dual registered dogs that are out of what you're calling "AmStaff" lines (and then if their offspring are only registered as APBTs, then you'd have an APBT with "AmSTaff lines behind it)... so I guess you could call that mixing the two breeds, but it's not actually mixing the breeds as in taking one APBT and one AmStaff and throwing them together to get huge blue pups... you can get that from quite a few APBT lines now anyway. Again, the reason AmStaffs are "bigger" is because they're not conditioned to the point that most pit bulls are (discountign some conformation lines of APBTs, in which those dogs are just as out of shape as the AKC ones). You can also track down a lot of gamebred dogs when you go back in the "extra large APBTs" peds, that doesn't mean that the gamebred dogs had anything to do with producing those huge mutts.

I just read the other day that UKC APBTs can be dual registered with the AKC as ASTs. In fact, the article said that over 50% of the American Pit Bull Terriers registered with the UKC are also registerd with the AKC as American Staffordshire Terriers! I didn't read all of the posts here so someone probably already noted that but I thought it was really interesting.

I own a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and I know from reading that SBTs and ASTs/APBTs initially came form the same stock. While in America the dogs were being selectively bred to be larger, in the UK (particualrly in Stafforshire England) they prefered smaller dogs. This is what eventually led to the two separate breeds that we have today.

bk already did a very good thorough job covering the Australian Cattle Dog :) Dresden is ACD/Doberman mix. One thing that I would add is that ACDs can be absolute nightmares without a huge amount exercise and a lot of constant mental work to do. I would never recommend them to anyone as anything other than a working dog unless the person has TONS and TONs and TONS of patience and determination to survive their first eight months to a year. Dresden has very very strong ACD traits and she is becoming (and is already in a lot of ways) a wonderful dog, at almost 13 months, but I really don't think most people would have survived her first eight months, the only reason I did is because I am as stubborn and determined as she is and I prayed a lot :) AND I had a lot of encouragement and help from people here on the forum :)

And I'm not going to touch Dobermans because I know there are lots of more qualified people here (ahem, Nancy :) )

Lady is an American Eskimo mix, she acts in a lot of ways like a little Husky. Independant, very very smart, manipulative, sweet, trainable with the right techniques (lots of positive reinforcment), very good with kids (although less so now, as she is getting older at nine years old), runs like the wind, and loves to be as dirty as possible. She's the one in my avatar by the way. She is an awesome dog.

Guest Anonymous

When i say AmStaff lines i dont mean the breed. I am very aware of the registries but that doesnt really count to the actual lines. now when i say APBT I am talking about the lines such as Jeep, Bolio, Carver, bailey, redboy, you know actual APBT lines that would be insulted if you called them Amstaffs. Then there are the AmStaff lines such as ruffian, grey fox, tonkawa, and the like are conformation bred dogs specifically selected nad bred for size and conformation. And actually there are quite a few people out there striving to have "game bred blues" so they are really mixing up peds right now. But i have to stand strong that there is some mixing of the two. I have seen to many kennels that do it not to. As far as game dogs in the big dogs peds I was reffering to the last few decades not so much backin the "old days". Pretty much any Staff, APBT, or AmStaff is going to have gome dog lines if you go far enough back. THey came from the same dogs so the lines should meet eventually but now tey are pretty much separated and there is occasional outcrossing to get the size that the Amstaff breeders have to the Inensity the the APBT breeders strive for. CHeck it out....