Dogomania

Leashes

imported_nea

What kind of leash do you prefer, normal or retractable ones?  

1. 1. What kind of leash do you prefer, normal or retractable ones?

A normal leash is what I prefer. :D With two such big dogs it gives us better control when we take them to the vets or for car rides, etc. They don't need the extra length a retractable lead would give them, since they are exercised well at home off the lead, and not at a dog park.

Just a little story about retractables. I used to use them on occaision. Took the dogs to the beach in NC. While unloading the car, I secured Jesse and Brittany to porch railings with their retractable leads. Yep, I know, not a wise move, I think the packaging even says don't do this. Within just a couple of minutes, I see both dogs heading dow the driveway towards the beach on their own! Trailing short lengths of leash...
Each had easily snapped (or possibly chewed through) the leads, the bulk of the flexi was still on the porch railing. No harm done, they were in no danger but the moral is, not a good idea after all! haha.
Jesse's flexi was for BIG dogs, probably weight up to about 100 lbs. He weighed in the low 70's at the time. Brittany's was the same and she weighed in the very low 60's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I used to have a chain leash with cloth on the handle. I tied her up while I went in the store to get a drink and in no time she was standing beside me in the store! She had chewed the small handle off in a few seconds and come to find me in the store. Now I have a real contraption that consists of a chain leash that I attach to a 4 foot long cloth leash. I use a little metal clip to jion them together when we are walking and then if I need to pop into the store I use the metal clip to attach the chain leash to something outside and put the cloth leash in my pocket! I think know that she is a little older she may not chew the leash but I don't dare take the chance!

I can't vote. I like and use both. When we're going to agility or obedience classes, I use a 6 foot leather lead. If I'm walking both dogs at the same time, I use 6 foot leather leads. If I've got one dog out in the grassy area near the training building for a potty break, I use a 26 foot flexi. If we're walking the jogging path, one dog no heeling practice, I use the 26 foot flexi.

Which lead I use depends on what I'm planning to do with my dog. My flexi's are about 5 years old and haven't failed me yet. My leather leads do get worn. I do think I'll have to replace one soon. Mason and I play tug using the leads during agility training. this is something that I want, not something that I'm discouraging. It's for drive purposes.....and it's worth having to buy an occasional lead. (Yeah, I do have tug toys but, hey the lead is always right at hand and the toys aren't.)

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

In my oh, so, humble opinion :wink: I think retractable leashes are for ferrets, guinnea pigs and dogs under 10 pounds, hah!

With the 6 big dogs here...ok, 3 big, 2 medium and one staffordshire that is as strong as the other five put together...I just can't find it within myself to trust a retractable leash. I have a hard enough time keeping colors on the two foster dogs...they love chewing them off each other <sigh>, I can only imagine what they would do with a dinky retractable. And, three of the larger dogs demolished those air-line cable tie outs within a week when we were erecting the kennels. I think regular leashes will stay the norm around here, lol!

• 2 months later...

I HATE HATE HATE retractable leashes. Kai's breeder swore on them though...he said they'd NEVER break on you (Flexi-leashes). But, they annoy the heck out of me. I don't use the flexi for walking anymore because the one we have is very easy to slip out of my hand with a sharp tug..I don't trust the thin string and believe it or not, I find them rather heavy. I'll stick to my 6 foot nylon. If needed, I'll use my 20 footer (or two combined).