Dogomania

siberian huskies or malamutes anyone?

sled dog musher

I have a sled dog team. I'm a junior trainer and just received my lead dog in January. His name is Bear. He is a Black and Tan Siberian Husky. Very Handsome! And I have been training him in lead with my old leader and he is doing great! I'm just waiting for some snow to come to bring the sled out.

Does anyone own a Siberian husky or Malamute or have a team?

[color=indigo]I know a few people from another board that owns huskies or malamutes. Someone even owns a sled dog team. I just love Huskies--they're beautiful. I don't have the room for one though, but I hope to get one when I'm older. *wishful thinking* ;)[/color]

I have a siberian husky. His name is Fang and he is who knows how many years old. I can guess at ten--I've had him five years and I was told he was five, (by the animal shelter) but a knowledgeable relative examined his teeth several years ago and said he looked much older and that it was a common practice for rescuers and shelters to take off a few years if it came close to an older dog's "time." He is black and white and gorgeous! His "wife" is an american pitbull terrier and he loves squeakies and (gulp) all smaller animals. He loves them in an unhealthy way. He does no sledding or pulling or any sports huskies are into. His favorite activity is voraciously enjoying airconditioning.

Hi there,

I have an Alaskan Malamute named Indy who will be 1 in 2 weeks.

Unfortunately as we live in Australia we don't really have the conditions for sledding :( though in the future I am keen to train him to pull a scooter or 3-wheeled cart, however as I am a first time dog owner the carting is a little out of my league at the moment. We spend a lot of our time doing obedience training so once we have that down pat we will probably get a bit more adventurous in our activities.

I would love to hear about your team and sledding activities and of course see lots of pictures.

Sorry guys I don't have a scanner to post pictures :cry:
I been having some diffeculty training my team lately.
My two lead dogs are fighting horribly. I can't bring them out much now together but I will train my novice leader bear.
My first leader I ever had was believe it or not a border collie\ australian shepherd mix named samantha. died of severe epilepsie 1 yr ago. She became useless as a sled dog because when she got excited and ready to run she would have seizures. We seeked help from our vet to save her but even the strongest medication wasn't effective. The day she died she had 10 seizures in 24 hrs. I miss her! :cry:

I then got a rottie\pointer\lab mix named riley. We started noticing that he had an interest in pulling a wooden tobogan. I hooked him up to the dog sled and he took off.
My grandfather knew I needed another dog to travel the distance that i needed to go in deep snow so he got me Bear.

I have another small sprint sledding dog named Duke. He will be trained this oncoming winter. And in a couple of years we are buying 2 more freight pullers. And I borrow my neibours husky mix who is also bears mate.

Hi , I have Hudson , an 18 month old Mal and I am hoping to get another Mal in a few months time :)

We took Hudson working the other week for the first time , he pulled my husband around the course on a rig and they both LOVED it. The weather is getting a bit hot here now , so we probably won't be going again for a few months , but roll on the Autumn!! :D

[img]http://www.icebaymals.co.uk/forums/uploads/post-5-1053958774.jpg[/img]

Hopefully the picture will work so you can see ....

Hello, fellow musher! I currently have 10 Alaskan huskies and train for mid- distance races- I've been mushing for almost 25 years now, and am glad to see that the sport is becoming more popular. Where are you from? If you haven't already seen it, check out a sight called Sled Dog Central- Huge sight with lots of info, mentors, discussions and equipment resources.

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

i am a new husky owner...i have a six month old and would love to get him into sledding. he is black and white and quite a trouble maker right now so i need to get him into something that he will get tons of exercise.

I have a gorgeous 5yr old husky. I've had him for a little over a year now and while it is hot here right now (he isn't much for the heat nor am I), in the winter time we love to get out and play. We had lots of snow last year and he loved being out in it. It was hard to get him to come in the house.

Welcome :)

Our dog Hailey is a 5 year old husky mix from the local shelter. We are hoping to get another husky from a rescue in a couple of years. These dogs are by far my absolute favorite breed, but we have kitties too, so we have to pick our family members carefully :roll:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I also have a Siberian husky, but from showlines. He is red(brown) and white and 2 years old! We have tried to make him pull the sled but he always has this silly look on his face like: "What the h... are you doing?" :lol:
He is an extraordinary husky, his just like the opposite. He doesn`t chase any birds or cats, he can walk and run without leash! This is grate! I think i have the only husky in Estonia that can walk without a leash :D
It

Guest Anonymous

Well I don't have a Mal or Husky, I got a samoyed. She's a lot smaller than the huskies I see at the dog park, but she still love to pull me on my scooter. Eventually I'll get some pictures up of us.

• 2 years later...

HI MEL , thought i recognised the pic. I am new here , i have 3 sibe huskies, here is some pics to introduce them

[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/rosegallagher/Dsc_6874.jpg[/IMG]
KAVIK, 3 MONTHS

[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/rosegallagher/Dsc_6877.jpg[/IMG]
MISHKA , 2 YRS

[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/rosegallagher/Dsc_6884.jpg[/IMG]
SUKA , 11 YRS