Dogomania

Continuous Vomitting!!! URGENT HELP PLEASE

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Major is an Alsation (German Shepherd) mongrel approximately 9 years old. For several months now, he has had continuous vomitting spats which has baffled 3 different veterinary surgerys, who mainly recommend some form of antacid.

His sickness is usually preceded by gulping down a large amount of water, causing the sick to be nearly transparent and very liquidy. He very rarely brings up his food and his apetite has not been affected in the least.

Initially his diet consisted of tinned meat with the occasional dry mixer. It then changed to just fresh meat and poultry without result. I even turned to tripe, first canned, then eventually fresh and still no joy.

He has been wormed and treated for fleas. The results of his blood, urine and bile-acid test came back normal for his age, detected a bit of protein and negative respectively. His coat is healthy, his nose is cold and his eyes and ears are fine, although he occassionally knaws at his paws.
For one week now, he has been on Homeopathic tablets that are crushed and absorbed directly through his tongue. His meals twice daily after his morning and evening walks consist of Pedigree and dry biscuit.
In the last week he vomitted 6x Monday and 2x Tuesday, not at all the next three days, then 1x Saturday and 4x Sunday.

Is there anything anyone can suggest or recommend? Has anyone ever dealt with such consistent vomiting before? Please help Major. He does not deserve such poor quality of life.

I don't have a lot to say, and sorry you guys are going through this, sounds baffling indeed!

Any chance he was vaccinated before this begun? Vomitting can be a sign of vaccinosis, although likely accomodated by other symptoms. Vaccinosis - often overlooked by vets.

Wouldn't be eating a poisonus plant of some sort .........would he??

hope you are able to find whats wrong.

Guest Anonymous

This began when he started to have constant ear infections. He had surgery done to stop the infections, but the healing process took over 3 months and 6 different types of penicillin and creams. His ear has been fine since February, but the vomitting continues.

We originally thought it was biscuits that he was alergic to, but cutting that out completely did not resolve a thing. Then we thought it might be stress, but it's been so long...

I will mention vaccinosis to the vet and the homeopath. I am open to any suggestions that could bring an end to Major's torment. I don't believe it to be a poisonous plant, because he doesn't eat any plants.

Thanks again RR for your input. All help is appreciated and eagerly awaited.

Guest Anonymous

Just wanted to thank you for spreading Major's problem around. It's quite unusual and frankly, very worrying! He constantly fluctuates in weight and he looks so sorry for himself.

Thanks again K! All the best!

If it is basically water that he is vomiting, he may be drinking too fast and gulping too much air which then causes him to vomit. He may be getting dehydrated so he gulps water, etc....you know the rest. The medicine he was on maybe have mde him feel dehydrted so he started this whole routine and just never stopped.

Maybe try some kind of bowl where he can't drink water so fast, something with a small opening...

One of my dogs does something similar...I don't worry about it since it does not happen often...

Has he been checked for diabetes? Or some other disease that may cause a dog to feel dehydrated.

This of course is just a thought.

Guest Anonymous

:cry:
Yesterday Major had an Anadin because he was looking so sorry for himself and within half an hour he was so perky, it was as if nothing was wrong at all. He must be in excruciating pain!
Today the vet used a camara to have a look at his digestive tract and found nothing, opened him up and found a tumour on the pancreas. The area around it is inflamed. They've taken a sample and sent it off to confirm whether it is malignant or benign. It will take about 7 days for the results. We are all devastated at the news.
Is there anything anyone can suggest or recommend as his treatment? Is there any type of diet that would better suit him?
Thanks for all your support!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hi everyone.

I want to thank you for all your advice and support. Sorry it's been so long since I got in touch, but it's been difficult trying to cope with the news.

But the good thing is that Major has not been sick in over 2 weeks since we started feeding him smaller portions consisting of plain rice, boiled fish and/or boiled chicken 4 times a day instead of the usual larger portions 2 times daily.

My vet wasn't very helpful in suggesting pro-active treatments and did not want to remove the pancreas allegating that he would be on drugs for the rest of his life and that his quality of life would go downhill very quickly from there.

As he doesn't seem to be in any pain and I would even venture that he appears to be back to his normal self, we are maintaining his diet and exercise schedule very steady and watching him carefully... It's so good that he's gone back to swinging from the branches!!!

I'll keep in touch and let you know his progress!!! Thanks again for all your help & support! I hope none of you will ever have to see your friends go through that kind of suffering.