Dogomania

Important Info Neded About Proheart!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, i just joined today as i just took my dog ( adopted 10-12 month foxy x) to get his heartworm tablet and my vet (evil bastard [sorry if uv got sensors]) and he started to give my dog an intestinal worm tablet i asked in sarcasism is that the new heartworm tablet so bla bla bla he gave my dog a trim on the toe nails and offered a heartworm injection :-? I asked is there any side affects he said no wasn't sure but my mum gave it the ok. He had his shot and he was fine about 5 mins l8er he got slugish i took him home onto my bed and he layed there still (not like him @ all) Rang the vet he said bring him down so i did. He was about to give him and injection of quaterzone (spelling) and he said that'll do it. I held my dog in my arms and he kept trying to burry his noise in my arms i thought he was cold and thought nothing of it. Then i noticed three spots on his head and looked on his face and snoot and :o he had a huge rash of hives all over his face it was so scary :cry: and i was :cry: ing my eyes out the vet took him away 4 about 10 mins and i got him back he said " Just cuddle him" i said fk u and my mum and i raced down to an emergency vet and he got a dose of antyhistemine (spelling :S ) and a faster reacting quatezone and he purked up a lil. We took him home and he seems better but he has lost his 'bounce' and justs wants to lay down and sratch himself a lil. So thats my delema and i would like and feedback about Proheart Heartworm Injection or similar experiences or words to help. As i am expecting to sue and need affermation. I feel that i have allready lost my 1st dog. Thanx in advance Jag_Sta

(EDIT: if u have anything to report or something that would be easier to say in msn plz just add me i will on 4 24 hours until my dog recovers)

Sorry to hear about your dog, but in all due respect it does sound like you really overreacted. Some dogs get reactions to shots/medicines etc. Sometimes the only way to find that out, is after the fact. I do feel you should have been told and someone should have discussed the possibilities with you.
We've seen shot reactions(although not common) and if the owner notices it after they get home, they're told to come back immediately and we have them under observation to be sure we have things under control, and take all measures necessary to ensure the animal is safe etc. Also, we do warn clients about the possibility that their pet may have reactions, the warnng signs, and what to do if they do notice this happening. So before they get any shots, they are told of this and given a paper to read pertaining to the possibility of reactions.
I have my one dog on ProHeart, while the other is on Heartgard. I have had no problems with Proheart, but overall they both have pros and cons. Heartgard also prevents internal parasites(roundworms etc) , whereas prohearts protection in that area is very limited. Proheart is good for those who have a tendency to forget to do the monthly doses, and also for those dogs allergic to beef.
I'm not sure about the idea of attempting to sue. I highly doubt you will get anywhere with that. It's not the vet's fault that your pet had a reaction. Now, if they didn't respond properly and take the measures to get things under control, then I say that's the bigger deal. If you're unhappy about what happened, just find another vet that you feel is best for your pet and also you.

With all due respect, you sound completely cold-hearted and insensitive. Regardless of the exact cause, it is completely understandable for a pet owner who loves their pet very much to react this way.

You really need to do your research. Surely you must understand that simply cuz your dog didn't react does not mean all dogs will not react. In fact, if you do research this, you will find the incidence of reaction unacceptably high. You should really look into this more closely before making such statements.

Jag-Sta - any new news on your pups condition. I hope all is well!

Scroll down about 15 posts and read the one titled Heart Worm Preventative. It’s long but a lot of people have shared their experiences with the Proheart injection – unfortunately the majority of them are bad.

Please keep us posted and let us know how your dog is.