Dogomania

I am SOOOO PO'd!!!!

courtnek

They would NOT let me adopt Theo!!! "you work full time, we only place dogs in homes where there is someone there during the day to look after them...."

Theo and Freebee got along ok - Freebee was hackles up at first (as she is towards all strange dogs) but then settled down and they played! just fine!! I think the hackels threw then off, and the work thing was an excuse...I told them going in that Freebee is not real socialized with dogs (the only one she ever knew was Alex, and she loved him after getting to know him). She just needs some time to get to know them and get over her own fears.... I am SOOO upset. If all the kennels are like this, I may never get a playmate for her....

I am so sad....

:evil:
:cry:

I guess I have to explain Freebee - she was adopted from a place where the puppies were "unwanted" - most of them ended up at Shelters. My Ex did not believe that she should be around other dogs, she needed to be
"only loyal to the family" (he is as arrogant as they come).

As much as I argued this point, he wouldnt budge. He also wouldnt let ne take her on neighborhood walks, except during the day "because its dangerous for you to be out after dark" - I AM WALKING WITH A 70 LB. DOG - HOW DANGEROUS CAN IT BE????? Since I work all day, that left socialization to a standstill. He also found reasons to not walk her or take her to dog parks on weekends...."what if she gets in a fight or runs off?"

We divorced, thankfully, but now Freebee is not dog socialized So it is hard for me to find a friend for her. Alex was brought in after he left,
and they had their moments, but they learned to get along inside pack rules, and loved each other.

The rescue societies are not helping me...

:(

I know how U feel... rescues are tough. I'm sorry to hear that U didn't get your pup :(
I never feel scared walking Abby at night. :wink: I've trained her to 'smile' which means for her to show her teeth. It's cute until someone thinks she's really upset. :wink:
It's not to late to socailise your pup! :) go out and meet some new people and dogs.

I did some of that tonight. She doesnt like the BC mix across the way, or the mix in the next yard, I took her out for a walk and we ran into "spot", the dog int he next yard - they did a lot fo barking at each other, but nothing serious. We were in Spots yard, so thats understandable. I asked my neighbor to arrange a meet with "M
illie", the other yard, under owner supervision and on lead. He agreed.

Maybe this will help...I hope so.

She is very dominant, so her best friend will need to be subservient...

Courtnek,

I am really sorry it didn't work out with Theo. :( I can understand your frustration :x

I think not letting someone have a dog becuase they work is very unrealistic. If all shelters only ever allowed homes that had someone home all day to have a dog then a lot of dogs would be missing out on going to loving, caring homes.

Obviously it is better for the dog if someone is home, however in this day and age I think it is unrealistic.

Unfortunatley the cost of living requires most familes to be dual-income households and of course that would totally rule out a single person having a dog as they would need to work to live and to pay for the care of their dog :-?

Both my b/f and I work full time and we are away from home for most of the day Mon-Fri. Does this mean we should not be allowed to have a dog?
I don't think it should. I hate being away from him that much but there is not much we can do about it. When ever we are home he is inside and treated as part of the family and on weekends we very rarely do things that don't involve him or go places that he can't come.

See if the shelter will let you have Theo on a trial run and say they are welcome to come and observe him in your home environment to see how he is getting along.

I volunteered at our local humane society for awhile. It was sooooo very hard for me to not adopt and take home all the dogs or cats that would probably never have a chance. And what the really sad part is our humane society's our so full these days that a lot of animals that come in are put down on the spot, with no chance at all. It's such a cruel world out there. And it's sad that they won't let you adopt the dog. I use to sit up at night's wondering if those poor dogs found a good home. I am soooooo sorry :( to hear about this. I wish there was something i could do for you and the dog.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='abker17']
I never feel scared walking Abby at night. :wink: I've trained her to 'smile' which means for her to show her teeth. It's cute until someone thinks she's really upset. :wink:
[/quote]

I know this is off topic and I apoligize ahead of time, but how did you teach your dog to smile? I've been wanting to teach my dog that too.......

Courtnek- I'm very sorry to hear about Theo, and the nimrods at the adoption place. They all have such annoying rules. When I adopted Dresden they would not let me have her without her being spayed first, and she was only 12-14 weeks at the time. I really hope you can work something out with them, I think everyones suggestions are at least worth a try, especially them letting you have him on a trial basis. That sounds very rational and reasonable. I'll be hoping for the best for you and Freebee :)

[b]Courtnek:

Maybe the place to look is under the classified ads. If you go to the pet finder page I told you about before, at the top in fine print is a spot for classifed ads..... for people who don't want to place their dogs in a shelter. Surprisingly, there are a lot of dogs there. Give it a try. It maybe better to deal with the owner instead of the shelter.

Good luck!![/b]

I taught Abby how to smile, when I noticed that if I brought one of her toys in front of her nose, her lips would go back and she'd show her teeth before grabbing the toy. So I worked from that behavior... and made it a command! It's very cute. Try playing with your dog for awhile with some sort of toy. Then sit your pup down( U might need someone to hold her back) and bring the toy close to her nose but don't let her have it. Eventually she [u]might[/u] show her teeth. If she does say "good smile" and give her the toy. It takes a while to train but it's a neat trick! :wink: If your pup doesn't get the idea, that's ok. Don't make sessions very long or your pup might think your teasing her. Short and fun is best.

oh Coutnek i`m soooooo very sorry to hear this news, it`s took you so long to find another dog that Freebee will get along with. I too think the shelter is being very un-realistic about the work situation especially in this day and age. Perhaps it`s worth trying t bend the rules a little by saying you`ll take him to work with you! :wink: Or try searching in the classified adds like was suggested to eliminate the shelter being involved.
Please let us know how you get on, i willbe thinking of you.

Work is out - they dont allow animals in the building. I was thinking about classifieds Daisy, but I really wanted a shelter dog because they need homes so badly. I thought I was doing a good thing, and I think they are only hurting themselves by being so strict about it. I dont know anyone who doesnt have a two-working household, and I only have a one working household. How were they expecting me to pay for his medical costs and food without working?

Besides, he wouldnt have been alone - he would have Freebee and the cat to keep him company all day....

Alex was fine here with her and the cat. I thought Theo would adjust too, I was even going to take a few days off to settle them in, but they flat-out said no.....

I did find another shelter that has a really nice foxhound up for adoption, and I'm trying to get an appointment to see him. These are foster dogs, they live with people in homes and not in the shlter, so maybe that would work out better. He's really cute....

thanks for all your kindness about this.

[quote name='courtnek']Work is out - they dont allow animals in the building.[/quote]

I think you may have misunderstood what I was getting at. I don't know if the rescue is very familiar with your work place, but I was just *ahem*cough* wondering if you could "figuratively" take your dog to work... If that's out, perhaps you could all of a sudden start a home based business (again, figuratively) where you are home allllllll day long...?

Ok, I admit I can be a bit creative when I am on a mission and I feel that someone is totally wrong in their assumptions about the care I can give. I guess each person has to live up to their own sense of ethics and while their (the rescue's) ethics may have them think a home with working owners is wrong, MY ethics tell me one can be a great pet owner and have a career at the same time. The two may conflict, but all we can do is what is right for US.

Sooooooo I guess I'm just saying if it felt right to me... as if this were "the one," I'd be willing to TELL them I'd take the dog to work with me each day and take a chance that they didn't actually verify it. Worst case scenario is that they call your bluff, but then they've already denied the adoption in the first place, so there would be nothing to lose by ummm faking it.

I know this may stir controversy. I'm on the rescue side, too, and know how I'd feel if I were deceived, but then I am one of the folks who DOES verify everything and follow up. Some of the rescue groups I've dealt with have a strict list of requirements, but pretty much only take people at their word other than obvious things like vet references (example- people saying they have a fenced yard when they really don't, or people saying they own their place when they are renting).

If you strongly feel like this one is "the one," don't give up!! YOU know you are a responsible pet owner, so don't just take an easy no as an answer. Bug the crap out of them. "Quit" your job and start work at home (figuratively... you get it). Heck, didn't you say recently that your eBay business is just booming...? :)

Just weigh your options and decide which you feel is the lesser of the evils. Good luck!

:D :wink:

I would bombard the rescue with family and friends references, schedule another playtime session with Freebee and Theo. The shelter will get the idea you really want this pup and that the two dogs will get along and eventually give in.

:angel:

Who do I write my letter to?

:angel:

Y'know what? He's been adopted.....I wonder if someone at the shelter
knew someone who wanted him, and they kinda turned me down so someone else could have him. I called today to try to reschedule, without saying who I was at first, and they said he's been adopted. Sad for me, but at least he has a home....Their policy (in writing) is that they can refuse adoption to anyone, for whatever reason they see fit, basically.....

although they put it more politically correct than that....

I'm not giving up though.

thanks everyone.

oh Courtnek, i`m so sad for you, but at least it has a happy ending for him.
Keep searching, there`s a furbaby just waiting for you to come and bring them home, so don`t give up.
let me us know how your search goes, i`ll be thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I'm sorry too, but this extra time maybe a sign that you are to spend some alone time with Freebee. I am always ready to get another dog, and then I really ask myself if it is the right time :roll: Maybe it's not your time? It [i]will [/i]happen, and maybe when you are [i]not [/i]expecting it......

Thanks Daisy, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I'll wake up one morning and find someone has dumped a dog in my yard, and they'll be
best friends forevermore...

:D

People have put things in my yard before without telling me, just so far no anumals....