Dogomania

too much bathing?

pei obssessed

Because she's trying to live up to her name, my Hippo gets into all kinds of messes now that the warm weather is here... In winter, she was fine--with all the snow, she didn't need bathing more than once a month. Now though, it seeme like almost every week she finds something disgusting to roll in at the park (because we live in an apartment she goes to the park at least once a day--to run free and get her energy out)--and it's either dead animals, or dead fish, or sconc smell... Things that HAVE to be shampooed out of her! And on top of that, about every other day I have to give her a shower (no shampoo) just to get out the mud, sand or dust that she's been rolling into when playing with other dogs...
So my question is: is it very bad to be bathing her so often? It's just that I have to do it :-? The only way around it would be to restrict her goings to the park, but we all really love that :P She doesn't seem to have any skin problem (no dry, flaky skin) right now, but maybe she'll develop one?

Rowie is almost the same, as she is an outside dog temporarily, she finds all kinds of things to roll in, eat( :o) or dig around in. She killed a pigeon the other day ( :o ) and then kept the dead body for a couple of days, and I can tell you the stench was horrible! :-? So I'm forced to give her showers(no shampoo) or a really good brushing, or use a damp towel to clean her up. I've heard of powder shampoos(don't get them here :x ) that you can use, don't know if it's any good. Maybe you can use a damp towel? Or brush her really, really thouroughly(sp?)? Other than that I can't help, I'm sorry... :cry:

Good Luck, and give her a kissy from me please? She has the cutest little roley poley face in the world! [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/y/eyelove.gif[/img]

Here is a recipe for dry dog shampoo, it works very well and gets the job done.

You can make this up ahead of time and store in a plastic container right next to the dog door.

In a container, mix equal parts of cornmeal, bran, and/or orris root. Depending on what you have in the cupboard, you can just use one or combine two, rather than using the combination of all three. Add a split vanilla bean to the mixture (it will take 2-3 days for the mixture to take on the scent of vanilla). If you are making large batches, you can increase the number of vanilla beans to suit you and your dog.

To use: take one dusty, dirty dog either on a hard floor or outside and sprinkle the mixture over the dog's coat. Brush the dog until the mixture is brushed through, and voila, a fresh, clean, vanilla-scented dog will appear!

• 3 weeks later...