Dogomania

Why me??

Bronxie

Ok this may gross some out, I apologize now U have been warned :o Elle is 15 months and has had her female thingy twice now. She's getting spayed next weekend. And it's about time I think. 2 days ago she started this weird, funny ritual. If I'm laying down under the covers on my bed Elle comes up to me, and pats my arm. she wont stop until I take an arm out. Then she goes down to my feet and does the same thing. So I had on these spongebob squarepants socks (with googly feet on them) she gets on top of me and starts doing dirty! I thougt only males did this :oops: The funny thing is she only does it with me, my boyfriend was laying down next to me but she chose to do dirty to me. She did it again yesterday, at first I thought it was funny (I don't let her finish, if there's such a thing for dogs) but now it's becoming annoying lol. Is this normal for the females to do? and to her owner who's a female? cuz she only does it to me :-?

i just came on dogo to post the same thing!!!.....wierd coincidence or what!!!!
My 10 month old rottie female has been in season once and isn`t due again until end of August (then in NOVEMBER I`M HAVING HER SPAYED), But this last few days she keeps doing "the dirty" to me :oops: and to my hubby and our friends :o :oops: WHY? :-?
i`m sorry i can`t help you as i`ve got the same problem too, and i don`t know why either :-?
I had one of my male dogs do this before he was "done", but i`ve not seen a female do it :oops:
I thought she may try and do "the dirty" to my other dogs, but she hasn`t, she`s only interested in doing it to humans :o
I wondered if she was trying to dominate us by doing this, but i don`t think she is!
let`s hope someone on dogo can help us :wink:
[size=7][color=red]SOMEONE PLEASE HELP US[/color][/size] :lol:

Guest Anonymous

It is a display of dominance.
Hopefully getting spayed will help, but unfortunately many learned behaviors continue after the spay. This is why most vets advocate spaying before the first heat, as well as the fact that each heat increases health risks in the future.

Mounting is a dominance behavior. Only the Alpha's get to do it, male and female. except during heat, it has nothing to do with sex, it's a display of power.

Both male and female alpha's will mount another animal to show they are in control. It is a very powerful warning to the other animal.

You need to get her off your arm and on the floor. and she needs some demotion from her prime spot. Neutering may help, but now she has learned this behavior so you will have to train her out of it.

thanks everyone :D
if it is a dominance thing, what should i be doing to show her that we, the humans are way above her in the pack?
By the way i was told that it was best to spay her 3 months after her second season to prevent any physcological problems :-?

Just wanted to add that even dogs who've been fixed before their fist heat still have this kind of behaviour--mine isn't doing it, thanks Dog, but there was a lady in the park who was telling me that her female dog (spayed before first heat) is humping her dog bed :o , and that she's called her vet who said that it's behaviour she's learned from other dogs probably...

Just a little demotion Jen.

Dont let her sleep on the bed, dont feed her before you eat, dont let her go through doorways before you. Once she realizes her place, her mounting behavior should stop. Think of it like pack rules, you are alpha, you get to do everything first. Eat, go through doorways, sleep in the best spot.

It's been noticed that dogs who dont think they are alpha but are WANNABE'S will often show this behavior, just to see how the other dog reacts. Usually, the higher ranking animal shows teeth and that puts an end to it. She is testing you.

:D

Some times it is a learned behavior, as well as a dominant gesture. My female Rottweiler was spayed before her first heat...I found a couple of male neutered dogs to walk her with and for the most part of the walk the Shepherd rides the Lab, then the Lab rides the Shepherd...after my little girl watched she joined right in...now its really embarressing because they are such swingers..you see the 3 of them hopping along as if a train all humping each other.
She has learned this behavior is not as fun as it used to be, I just got a male unneutered Newfoundland who finds the tailess wonder to be very exciting & sexy...he started riding her and actually penetrated her (not fully in) now she doesnt mount other dogs and she is very careful about who is behind her.

thanks guys i will try harder to put her in her place, i am already doing some of the things mentioned and havebeen since i first got her (which was about 4 weeks ago), i and the other dogs eat before she does, she doesn`t sleep on the bed but does sleep in one of my arm cahirs and the sofa, sometimes she goes through doors before me.
i`m now wondering if all the trouble i`m having between her and my other dogs (as mentioned on my post "HELP") is to do with this as i`m trying my hardest here but the situation between them is no better :( and i`m worried that if it continues it will change her and make her become aggressive. I`ve noticed she`s also challenging me a bit, as usually at training class she`s a star but last time she was a nightmare and at home when i ask her to do a simple commnd like sit she wont , whereas she used to do it when asked first time!!!
also she`s starting to play me up on the lead even tough i`m constantly correcting her, and she play`s me up while i`m trying to put it on her :o

I agree with courtnek, she is definitely testing you. It's the whole give an inch and they take a mile thing.

Just stick to the alpha rules and be consistent. Unfortunately if you let her get away with something once she will remember and try it again and again. If you keep at it while she is young so she fully understands her place she shouldn't try it on when she gets older.

[quote name='Cassie']for the most part of the walk the Shepherd rides the Lab, then the Lab rides the Shepherd...after my little girl watched she joined right in...now its really embarressing because they are such swingers..you see the 3 of them hopping along as if a train all humping each other.[/quote]

I once saw BK do this at the dog park- he was the meat in the sandwich so to speak- it looked hysterically funny and it seemed as if he was enjoying himself, but they stopped after a while and I try to discourage him from doing it. :roll: It is difficult work to get him to stop mounting other dogs (only ones bigger than him... :-? ) but it is for his own good so he doesn't end up in a fight. :evilbat: He was neutered when we got him (6 mths, he is now almost 8) so he may have learned this behaviour beforehand.

[b]bk_Blue[/b]
So you have a swinger too! :lol:
I see no harm in it , it's a way to take out their frustrations...I beleive that instead of getting into little mini fights the mounting is actually an alternative to squabbles...it mainly seems to happen when they are playing with the same toy and instead of fighting over it they all start humping each other...the most embarressing part was when my Rottie first started joining in...she was'nt sure which end was correct and was constantly humping the dogs heads! :o
she no longer humps after her bad experience and will sit down when ever one of the dogs gets behind her...my big bad intact Newf showed her that its all fun and games til some one...well you know. My Newf is not dominant, hes just a real ladies man...the breeder still uses him for a stud dog.

Bronxie, I'm afraid you're going to have to keep her off the bed permanently, at least until she's learned who is boss. You have to follow the steps consistently, all the time. Everytime you give her that inch, she moves up a notch on the ladder and then the problems start.

Some dogs are naturally submissive, so the little things dont matter so much, but yours is not. So the steps have to be followed all the way through to demote her completely.

Good luck

:D

[quote name='Cassie'][b]bk_Blue[/b]
So you have a swinger too! :lol:
I see no harm in it , it's a way to take out their frustrations...I beleive that instead of getting into little mini fights the mounting is actually an alternative to squabbles...[/quote]

LOL maybe your people can talk to my people and we can have a play date. :wink:

Bk's problem is that he's not selective in who he tries to bonk... he'll go up to a dog [i]on lead[/i] and try to do it and he's been snapped at quite a few times doing this- the owner gets annoyed because it looks like I can't control my dog yadda yadda... I am fine with the bonking if the other owner doesn't mind but as long as they are off lead so there is less chance of a fight. And some owners crack it anyway- I was at the beach and he and this other dog were play fighting, mounting etc (no aggression, just normal dog behaviour) and the owner of this other dog got really irritated and told me to keep my dog away from hers. :roll:

JEN WROTE
[quote]By the way i was told that it was best to spay her 3 months after her second season to prevent any physcological problems [/quote]

Gladis was spayed 12 weeks after the first day of her first season. That was the best time I was told by my vet. Half way inbetween second and third is a long time to wait :)

Ellie was spayed 3 months after her first season on my vets advice.
Something to bear in mind Jen is that she is a teenager in doggy terms and like a teenager she will test you for a while ,if you remain firm with her during this time you will come through the other side ok :)
I have seen otherwise very obedient dogs completely 'forget' their training during this period in their development don't panic,stay consistent and you'll be fine xx