Dogomania

The trials and tribulations of having a fence jumper

JackieMaya

Maya (who I adopted in October of 2002), who is a wonderful dog 90% of the time, has two bad habits. One is that she barks incessantly at night at the nocturnal critters. The citronella collar I put on her takes care of that problem pretty well.

The other problem is that once she found out how easy it is to get over the fence at the back of my property, if she gets loose, she's gone! I've been attaching a long (maybe 40 feet) cable to her collar when she and Jackie are in the back yard, which works great unless she happens to get her collar unfastened, in which case she's immediately over the fence.

Today, after spending 45 minutes finding and catching her, I bought her a nylon harness that I attach the cable to. This is working great, and I watch them the whole time they're out, so the safety factor of the harness not breaking isn't a concern. Then she managed to get the clip on the cable undone, but luckily she didn't realize she wasn't attached to the cable, and I was able to get it hooked back up immediately.

Now I think I'll have to get some kind of s-hook or something like that to attach the cable to the harness with so that she can't get the cable unfastened.

I think she would have gone through several owners who wouldn't have had the patience or time to work through her few problems. She just a wonderful, lovable dog, and she'll be with me for the rest of her life.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QgCpBDES!TydQwmWD!oqYuIR3p6Qe35zuK3pzvMLhHIZTao8r7OPokzmF6gZMooeU7r2BZLGPRWzm9cY5PwrD0OpiM*ogakyFigcAtq*FXA/DCP_0012.JPG?dc=4675422733683336510[/img]

Great picture there she's a beautiful dog :lol: its a pain in the backside when they pick up habits like that :x A friend of mine has this problem with both her dogs (and she has a six foot fence ) she installed an electric fence and it works wonders mabey it would be worth a try :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking of raising my 3-1/2 foot chain link fence to 6 feet, but actually having Maya on a long cable is working out just great! Before I started tying her up outside, it used to take me 20 minutes sometimes to catch her in the yard if she didn't want to come in yet. Now she comes in when I ask her to, and she and Jackie still have tons of fun running and wrestling and playing together.

So it appears I have solved the problem! And who knows; maybe if I made the fence 6 feet Maya would still jump it!

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QgC0BE4SQkCdQwmWD!oqYsjUCxEpAt32TejgH4Zd8iwebxLr9h*w5k5wOKs2tbkBmENAqhjxwhh0I01YBr8nhg6A7I!M2kidJjFQEDwzdoA/DCP_0003.JPG?dc=4675423128271022105[/img]

I am so glad that you have got the problem solved. :D
I to have a 3 1/2 foot fence too. Nostalgia my black lab has never tried to jump the fence. But i'm affraid if she learned once that would be the end of it. She would be sitting at our front door waiting to get inside. She is such a good baby-dog.
Good luck with the fence thing, please keep use updated.

I have the same problem with lecter, he climbs our 4 ft chainlink fence with no problem. we switched to a harness for a while then one day he worked the slide loss and chewed through the side strap. now when ever he is in the yard he is hooked up to a 15 ft lead so he can lean on the fence but not climb over we had a 20ft lead but he climbed the fence anyway and had to have my neighbor come over and pit him back on the inside. untill we buy our own house and can erect our needed fence type we just have to be extra careful.

[quote]Now I think I'll have to get some kind of s-hook or something like that to attach the cable to the harness with so that she can't get the cable unfastened. [/quote]

What about those rectangular loops that screw together like climbers use..you can get them from camping shops.

Hello,my Rottie used to always jump our 5 foot fence and then we moved and she has never done it again! I don't know why she stopped as all the fences are roughly the same height. I guess she has just matured and understands now that she is to be in her yard. I'm so glad she stopped,though! I don't really know what to suggest except maybe you could raise the height of your fence using chicken wire as a cheap alternative until you get your own place. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had a fencing company come out to give me an estimate on raising my fence to 6 feet. I have 265 feet of fence, and it would cost over [size=6][color=red][b]$3,500[/b][/color][/size]! So I think the cable will work just fine!

Maya can get TO the fence but she can't get over the fence on her cable.

I ended up getting one of those rectangular loops (I call it a barrel hook). It has a little barrel-shaped thingie that you move down over the opening after attaching it to the cable. And I even tightened it with a wrench so it can't get loose!

I watch the whole time my girls are outside, so if they happen to get tangled up (that happens sometimes when they get wrestling), or if Maya gets caught on something, I can fix it immediately.

When it's time for the girls to go outside, I just hold up Maya's harness, and she starts wagging her tail and smiling, and puts her head in the harness because she knows she gets to go outside and play. And she's the same way when I put her citronella anti-bark collar on her at night. And by the way, she's not barking at night any more! YIPPEE!

Here's a picture of Maya having fun on the end of her cable.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QgDYAl8SW0KdQwmWD!oqYjuua194sPYOGx5l*oimhgrw9KZqmbigO5QiyKRFhNfyhQ0tS2FFQQMAm!JTnqqo!KMlbp930ldlyyUJLQMR5XY/DCP_0005.JPG?dc=4675423128287556138[/img]