Dogomania

Symtoms of worms?? (thinking that Ben might have worms)

Crested

As far as I know full tummy, bloated look, off their food sometimes, or the other way too - very hungry. Scooting round on their bum, gnawing at their back end.
If they're being sick a lot or you have seen worms in their poo, then they must have them pretty bad.
Doing the right thing worming him - what symptoms did he have? :)

Thanks Lisa... Then he has worms. He has the symtoms you described: "very hungry. Scooting round on their bum, gnawing at their back end."

He has started to smell at his but and lick it allso. There aren't any visible worms in his poo, but the poo has been of a strange color, looser then normally and smelling REALLY bad (MUCH more worse then normally).

/Crest

The scooting you described can also be a sign of impacted anal glands....you should take ben to the Vet and have him examined to rule out impacted glands and take in a fecal sample to check for worms....a fecal exam is the only way to know for sure your dog has worms. Tapeworms you would notice the segments around the dogs anal area or around the feces, but with roundworms and hookworms etc some times the only way to know for sure is to look at the feces under a microscope and see the eggs. Alot of wormers for dogs will not treat Tapeworm and roundworm both together.

One more thing to be aware of, if Ben has round worms these parasites are zoonotic, which means humans can be infected as well. Be sure to clean up after Ben after each bowel movement and don't let feces stay in the yard for too long (the eggs can stay in the soil for quite some time) be sure to wash your hands throughly each time you handle ben (the transmission of the eggs to the human host would have to be injested from the mouth) also when worming your Dog, if it is for Roundworms be sure to follow up with the medication in 2 weeks to kill the larvae.

Cassie beat me to it:) As she mentioned, the symptoms brought up by a previous poster are not necessarily an indication of worms. It could be many things. ANyway, she's correct about the fecal sample. That's your best bet, and the only real way to know which worms he has(unless you've seen them. Even so he could have other worms in addition).
Mainly if his stools are loose, and not able to be controlled, you need to drop a fecal sample off at your vet. It's also recommended you get your pets wormed quartly, especially since some parasites are zoonotic and a threat to you and others(in addition to your pets).

I worm Ben twice a year (as it it custom to do here). The last time I wormed him (I think it was in February) I changed the medicin to a better and more effective one called Axillur (don't know if you have heard of it). It works on 4 diffirent types of worms and on something called Giardia - infection.
He had first eaten everything he could get, no matter what it was he ate like a horse! Then he stopped eating totally. Now after I've given him 2 of the three tablets he got his apetite back (wich HAS to be a good sign, right?).
I'll keep a close eye on him for a couple days after I've given him the last tablet and if he's still the same, I'll take him to the vet.
And I'm pretty sure he doesn't have anal gland problems, because he doesn't drag his butt on the carpets etc. as the dogs usually do if they have them.

:)

/Crest

Well... It looks like Ben has the anal gland thingy after all... He's got this [b]REALLY[/b] smelly goo coming out of his butt. He's still not dragging his behind in carpets and such, but it can't be anything else... Can it? He's really tired and he doesn't wasnt that anyone touches his behind or tail (but he lets us wipe his butt).

I'm clueless to what to do... Can I empty them somehow or is it better if I go to the vet with him?

/Crest