Dogomania

How to start your breeding?

Crested

I was just thinking... If someone (well, to make it simple, let's just say hypotheticly me) would be starting to breed a dogbreed, then what kind of start would be a good start? Should I buy an adult dog that has allredy had 1 or two litters or a puppy?

/Crest

Ok crested :lol:
If Hypothetically :lol: you were going to breed a breed of dogs :wink:
the first thing you would do is pick the breed and why, most people dont become breeders in a breed by saying ....ooooh i am going to breed himahombi hounds :lol:
Ok you love the breed and have decided to breed it.
WHY? that is the first thing to ask yourself
MONEY should never come in to it.
The next step is to research the breed, in every way possible.
I can see no need to buy a bitch that has had a litter or two to start out,
IF you have done your research into the breed first and know what you are looking for and why, then you will come across a trusted mentor, someone who will give you advice HONEST ADVICE, someone who will help you with any questions or things you WILL need to know.
Do not get involved with breeding terms EVER.
I personally would buy a bitch and show it, you will learn so very much by doing this, look, listen, learn.
Then i would consider breeding and only then.

Hope that helps crested. PM me at any time should you feel the need :lol:

:D

Roo - That's some great advice to Crested.

I kinda got into it a different way, Sally had such a great pedigree and the litter showed such consistency that I decided that it might be a good idea to breed her and preserve that line (momma/daddy got altered). Well I decided that if I did breed her then I needed to show her and make sure that she was good breeding stock and get her finished, it has progressed from there and I have learned so much from the show breeders and here. I don't think it would be the same for me if I didn't love the breed and Sally so much.

First thing I would do is check out the top [u]reputable[/u] breeders and find out what lines they have and what lines to stay away from. [b]RESEARCH, RESEARCH & MORE RESEARCH![/b]

:angel:

Well with me looking at dogs from the most successfull breeders isn't even an option, because all of them breed HAIRY hairlesses and I want to breed TRUE hairlesses. It's really hard to find true hairlesses of good quality and that's why it's hard to find puppies too... :(

Thanks for the advice, Roo and Rosebud! :)

/Crest

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps they have a reason for breeding them that way? (I don't know much about Cresteds!) Perhaps make some calls, send some e-mails and/or visit a dog show....most breeders are more than happy to share their knowledge :)

I would be cautious before deviating from what most other breeders are doing. They may have tried to do it the way you're contemplating and had some problems. (For example, you can't mate two tailless Manx cats, as the kittens will have deformities; you have to mate a tailless to a longtailed Manx.)

Did anyone say research! LOL, just kidding! Great posts everyone. BTW, you can never do enough research. The first thing to do is to find a reputable breeder who produces dogs you like in every way. Don't settle. BTW, chose dogs who are close to the standard, not ones you may like for a flaw that deviates from the standard. The standard is there for a reason. If you can afford one, a bitch who has had a litter may be your best bet. You can then see what she produces. Just because a pup may have the best bloodline does not mean they will always turn out the way paper says they should. Also, even if a bitch is the most gorgeous dog with good lines does not mean she will be able to produce well. Buying a pup is always a crap shoot. BUT, as was posted earlier, when you start with a pup you get in on the training and showing. You will know your dog better and learn lots along the way. Another thing, dogs who have proven health and conformation, obedience, or something similar should be the ones used in a breeding program. Too many people breed their dogs just because they are good pets. There are lots of dogs in shelters who are also good pets. Breeding should be done to improve the breed period.

• 1 month later...

If I were going to start breeding I would go for an older bitch for a couple reasons.

#1 - it's hard to tell show/pet quality when they are just puppies. Some things that are faults may change as they grow. For example, Mystic was sold to me as a pet quality, but I recently brought her back to visit her breeder and now under further evaluation she has been upgraded and I will now be able to show/breed her. I do plan to show her and as for breeding her, if she passes hips, heart and elbow screening then I will.

#2 - Some show puppies don't grow up to be able to be shown/bred. Another example, a Shiloh hopeful breeder purchased 4 puppies on show/breeding contracts. 1 male and 3 females - different ages and litters. The male is being shown and will be bred. The females all developed various faults either physical or temperament related so they were all spayed and are now pets. This same person bought another femal a year ago to "replace" the 3 she had to spay. Now this one had mild hip dysplasia in one hip and has been spayed too. So out of buying 5 puppies for show and breeding she only has one that fulfill her dream.

This may be a stupid question but where would you get an older bitch that has already had a litter?

If the bitch was absolute top quality and worthy of being bred why would the current owner be getting rid of her? To me this indicates that they are after money and don't really care about the dog too much.

I don't know about breeders having bitches for sale that have been bred, but some do have older "started" bitches about 9 months to 2 years old. Alot have adults available that are good show/breeding prospects. They also have pet adults available sometimes too. Another Shiloh breeder currently has a 10 month old show male for sale that was returned to her by the original purchaser. And that breeder is very good, but she has no room for him in her breeding program as he is related to most of her females. So it is done, you'd just have to keep your eyes open for them.

[quote name='spiritsmom']If I were going to start breeding I would go for an older bitch for a couple reasons.

#1 - it's hard to tell show/pet quality when they are just puppies. Some things that are faults may change as they grow. For example, Mystic was sold to me as a pet quality, but I recently brought her back to visit her breeder and now under further evaluation she has been upgraded and I will now be able to show/breed her. I do plan to show her and as for breeding her, if she passes hips, heart and elbow screening then I will.

#2 - Some show puppies don't grow up to be able to be shown/bred. Another example, a Shiloh hopeful breeder purchased 4 puppies on show/breeding contracts. 1 male and 3 females - different ages and litters. The male is being shown and will be bred. The females all developed various faults either physical or temperament related so they were all spayed and are now pets. This same person bought another femal a year ago to "replace" the 3 she had to spay. Now this one had mild hip dysplasia in one hip and has been spayed too. So out of buying 5 puppies for show and breeding she only has one that fulfill her dream.[/quote]

Interesting one that :lol:
If a breeders bitch produced pups that were what she/he was looking for
then why would they sell the bitch????

Because sometimes good dogs get returned. Sometimes breeders end up having too many dogs to be able to have time for them all. Life happens and family circumstances (or money) can interfere. Once in awhile a breeder wants to keep a bitch but can not so may co-own with someone. In this case the bitch lives with the co-owners, gets the life they deserve, training, showing exc. Then when it comes time to breed, breeder gets one of the pups back to sell or keep as they desire depending on how they turn out. The co-owner gets an older, trained, proven dog and the breeders help in picking a stud and a pup or two to replace her when she retires.

[quote name='GSDmom']Sometimes there are breeders who have an older brood bitch who they are looking to place in a good home. These females sometimes are ok to breed one or two more times before being retired.[/quote]

Having an older brood bitch they are looking to place in a GOOD HOME SHOULD NOT INVOLVE BREEDING IT

How many litters do you personally think a bitch should have :o

[quote name='Malamum']This may be a stupid question but where would you get an older bitch that has already had a litter?

If the bitch was absolute top quality and worthy of being bred why would the current owner be getting rid of her? To me this indicates that they are after money and don't really care about the dog too much.[/quote]

[size=6]Malamum my sentiments exactly, so many people get conned and they just cant see it RESEARCH IS THE KEY AND LUCK IS IMPORTANT[/size]