Dogomania

House Training!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Okay, we've had Coal for 2 weeks now, and we've been tryin to house train him! Let me tell ya, my room has never smelled so awful!! And I've had TONES of puppies, kittens, turtles, mice, you name it in there! :o Today I have to shampoo my carpet, we were guna wait until after he's trained, but it's soooo gross!! :-?
We've been yellin at him when we catch him in the act, and praising him TONES when he goes outside... and well he's learned WHERE to go outside, but he still hasn't learned NOT to go inside!! :o Every time he seemed to be getting better, he'd have tones of accidents! The thing is he (usually) does this at night, or the occasional times when I've lost him in the house :oops: (hey! it's a big house!) I've woke up several times in the morning because he's peeing on my floor, then AFTER he pees, HE CRIES TO BE LET OUT!! :o I think he's gotten a little confused :lol:
Please help!!! We've never had a dog THIS BAD at house training!! :o I've tried taking out the smell, so he doesn't go there anymore, I've tried everything, it just doesn't seem to be working!!
Any suggestions?!
Thanks tones in advanced!! :)

I did see Coal's pics and he is adorable...

My first suggestion would be unless you can keep an eagle eye on him, you need to crate him...I know he cried when in the crate so you let him sleep in bed. I know how you feel BUT he will not become trained if he still has the opportunity to go inside. You should make him sleep in his crate at night. He should get used to being crate trained anyways, including at night or even when you are walking around the house. If you let him out when he is crying he learns that if he cries, you will free him. You need to learn the difference from his I need to pee cry and the I want attention, let me out cry.

You can also try leashing him to you when inside. Put him on a leash or whatever and tie it to you. You will not loose him in the house and you can catch him when he is doing wrong.

At night, I would take his water away at least 3 hours before bedtime.

You should probably make sure to take him out at least once an hour, whenever possible for awhile longer...he is confused so it may take longer and slowly add time between potty breaks.

For the most part they say a puppy can hold it for however old they are, ie: 2 months=2 hours, 3 months=3 hours, etc... but since he comes from the shelter, many shelters do not work on housebreaking so he learned to go inside...now you have to break that mentality.

Hope this helps and that others can give you more ideas.

[color=darkred]Hazel.

How old is Coal ? Try not to yell at him when he does wrong....instead take him outside to his spot. Yelling will frighten him rather than help his training which could make matters worse...use the command NO when you catch him in the act..that is all you need to use!!
Only say his name when he as done well so he doesnt get confused between bad and the good!
After each sleep, meal and play let him outside so he knows when to do his business....this will encourage him to go and then he will soon start to let you know when he wants out.
A lot of patience and encouragement is needed at this time, especially as some pups are slower than others to learn[/color] :wink:

Sounds like you need to limit his space. Do you let him run free in the house? He should only be allowed out of his space when he's being closely supervised. Are you using the crate method? If he's peeing in his crate you have bigger problems. Also, if he's peeing a lot at night you should not let him drink quite so much after say 6 or 7 pm. Just let him have a few slurps every now and then until he gets better control of his bladder. Also a lot of playing, running, fetching, training or pull toys during the day will help him to sleep more soundly at night.

It's really hard to leave the dog in a small space but it kind of forces the dog to hold his bladder as to not pee in the small space. This, in turn, will help the dog develope bladder control more rapidly. If he's confined to a small bed to sleep in at night he shouldn't be peeing in this space. He will wake up and cry to be let out. This is when you get up and take him outside to pee. He should get used to this routine.

Usually a puppy is either playing or sleeping and both of them don't leave much time for peeing so, a puppy will play hard and then usually fall asleep for a while. When the puppy wakes up this is the time they usually pee. It is very important that you take the puppy out immediately after he wakes up from these naps. You'll find that he'll usually pee when you put him down on the grass.

The times when you do catch him peeing in the house give him a firm "NO BAD PUPPY" let him know you're displeased with him and then put him outside.

A puppy's brain is like a sponge so you need to incorporate peeing with outside as many ways as you can with your dog. You'd be amazed at how fast the puppy learns that peeing and pooping needs to be done outside.

I would keep the puppy in a really small area and he shouldn't eliminate in this area. Usually when you take him out of the area he'll eliminate immidiately. This is when you take him outside after he's done put him back in his small space. Only leave him out of his area when you are training, playing or walking him.

Keep up the work, don't get too frustrated and hopefully you dog will be scratching at the back door in no time.

Slim

Guest Anonymous

Thanks...
Yeah, I don't scream at him or anything, I do say no, sorry I didn't clarify that :oops:
Yesterday I started crate training him. For about 15 minutes I'd put him in the crate, then he'd cry, and once he stopped, I praised and gave treats, let him out, played a bit, then put him back in. Eventually I was able to stand at the door way and he'd quite down after a little bit! :D He's a real velcrow (sp?) dog though! :o
What do you mean by "Small place"? Usually he only gets to roam the room that I'm in, all doors closed, with tones of toys etc.
I've been trying to take him out as often as possible, and right after meals and sleep too :wink:
Sigh... I guess it's just guna take a while.
About 2 nights ago we've been taking his water and food away at 8:00, but it doesn't seem to be making a differnce... maybe I'll try at 7:00 instead.
Plus he usually sleeps on my bed (I know, I know :roll: but he SCREAMS otherwise!) and he only peed on my bed ONCE! :lol: :o Put my foot in it, twice... it was just gross... had to scrub my matress and wash my sheets and blankets, oh it was so gross..
but now he'll jump off my bed (can't get back up) and sleep on my floor while I'm sleeping, then he'll pee on my floor then.
It's REALLY hard to keep him in the crate at night because he just SCREAMS and everyone gets mad at ME because their trying to sleep! :-?

I agree with limiting his space, but remember, he can't hold it that long at that age :wink: It's up to you to remind him to go outside often enough that he doesn't have accidents. Also, limiting the water should help. Is the crate in your bedroom? If not, put it next to your bed so he can see you and feel secure

darn it, everyone stoled all my advice already :) one thing i would say- and someone may have already said this too....... if he screams in his crate and that's why you can't crate him at night maybe you can start hime during the day like you're doing but just ( and i know this is hard) completely ignore him for a while, just act like it's no big deal and be really casual. "here you go coal "crate" see you in an hour" and just walk away, maybe close your bedroom door (if that is where the crate is) if he knows he can get sympathy he'll milk it for all it's worth, at least mine will :) good luck, be patient. my labs took longer than dresden did, i don't know if anyone elses labs were a little slower or not........

Guest Anonymous

yeah, the crates in my room...
Well, I guess a lot of what people have told me I'm already doing :-? So I guess it'll just take a lot of time and patients... I'll let ya know when it gets better though! :D :wink:

I would suggest possibly covering his crate so he can't see out.

This will sound mean but, cover the crate and every time he starts to cry, give it a good bang...never say a word. It can take a night or 2 but it does work. I have done this with all my dogs and they all go to their crates freely.

Also, feed him in his crate.

If you don't want to try the banging bit, tie a piece of string to his collar and thread it through the door, and when he cries, give it a yank--still don't say a word.

Some may say these methods are harsh but they are proven and dogs will not become crate haters....as long as you make the crate a nice place.

When you put him in his crate, give him a kong or something filled with peanut butter or plain yogurt. Put it in the freezer for awhile and it will take longer for him to get through the stuff inside plus the coolness of the kong will feel good on his teeth.

[quote name='HazelNutMeg']
Sigh... I guess it's just guna take a while.

Plus he usually sleeps on my bed (I know, I know :roll: but he SCREAMS otherwise!) and he only peed on my bed ONCE! :lol: :o Put my foot in it, twice... it was just gross... had to scrub my matress and wash my sheets and blankets, oh it was so gross..

It's REALLY hard to keep him in the crate at night because he just SCREAMS and everyone gets mad at ME because their trying to sleep! :-?[/quote]

[color=darkred]Haaaa your being too soft with him....you need to be firm at times and let him know he's at the bottom and you top, otherwise he will always get his own way! When he screams ignore him but give him a toy to play with once he has stopped screaming, so he doesn't see you giving him the toy for being noisy (see what I mean).....encourage him to play with his toys only when he is quiet. You can do this when he is about to jump on your bed as well, so he can see the toy is more fun!

When in his crate make sure he as plenty of toys so that he doesn't get bored....throw in a couple of treats for him too.
Put a radio on to comfort him so he doesn't feel lonely and make sure that he sleeps at one end of the crate....the other end should be for his use, must he relieve himself in the night with newspaper down.[/color]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Shannon_C']
When in his crate make sure he as plenty of toys so that he doesn't get bored....throw in a couple of treats for him too.
Put a radio on to comfort him so he doesn't feel lonely and make sure that he sleeps at one end of the crate....the other end should be for his use, must he relieve himself in the night with newspaper down.[/color][/quote]

Okay, I'll try that! thanks! :D

Or maybe I should get Coal one of these!!...

:lol: Sorry, couldn't resist! :lol:

[img]http://www.blueridgedobermanrescue.org/Puppies%20Studying.jpg[/img]

Guest Anonymous

Ooo! good news! LOL I know it's not a BIG leap, but it means a lot to me! LOL
Okay, I was on the computer tonight, and Coal was sleepin under my feet, so I went to sneak upstairs to get some food and take my vitamins, and he sleeply got up, and followed me, but then when I went to go upstairs, he stopped at the door and looked up at me. So something clicked in my brain and I was like "OH! Do you need to go outside Coal?" So I got my jacket, and shoes, and the leash, as soon as we got out to his spot, he went!! :D I'm so proud!! :lol:

[quote name='HazelNutMeg']

Okay, I'll try that! thanks! :D

Or maybe I should get Coal one of these!!...

:lol: Sorry, couldn't resist! :lol:

[img]http://www.blueridgedobermanrescue.org/Puppies%20Studying.jpg[/img][/quote]

[color=darkred]LOL You could try that, glad to hear Coal is learning very quickly[/color] :wink: