Dogomania

What's up with the do's??

Ok, I was watching Crufts on Animal Planet the other day, and I looked at some of these show dogs and thought "what the hell?"

Why do they have to cut poodles into the ugliest fashons ever? I know that it "keeps certain parts like the hips and ribs warm" but if you cover the whole body with the exact same amount of fur it does the same thing! look at most of the other dogs! (cept Chinese Cresteds and stuff) they have fur that doesn't look like they've been in a fight with a lawn mower and they are still warm!! And how are poodles suppose to swim with that head-full of hair??

Why do they make Pekineses look like a moving bush? Can't they just trim it down a bit so the dog can actually walk? Look at the poor thing!

Why is it that Crufts is the king of all dog shows?? I mean, when I watched the Eukanuba/AKC tournament the arena was as packed as the grammys!! But when I looked at the arena for Crufts, there was barely anybody there?? Ahh!!

Why is it that we have to call groups (herding, sporting, etc) different names in each dang part of the world?? The gun-dog group?? what the heck? Man, I had a hard time following that for some of the way... I'm not saying that Herding is better than whatever-they-call-it over in the UK, but can't we all agree on something??

Why do little dogs have to go as far as big dogs when they walk them to check their gate? These poor little dogs were getting tired!!

Ok. I'm better now. Just had to vent a little... I have nothing against poodles, pekineses, etc. Just can't find the logic of these things...

Guest Anonymous

I have to agree with you on the Poodles. I have never understood why people have to shave them in all sorts of different styles. I wish someone with experience could maybe explain it to me. I mean I have 2 long haired dogs (fixing to be 3) and I wouldn't shave them. I don't get it. But then again I don't show and don't own a poodle! :)

I'm the oddball here. I LOVE Standard Poodles and, yes, I DROOL over the show dogs in the full continental trims (show clips). Standard Poodles were originally bred as water retrievers and the "unnecessary" hair was clipped away. What was left was to protect the major organs and the joints. That's the reason for that particular pattern. There's no way a working dog could have had that length hair all over because, other than the upkeep (ack!), those coats are extremely dense and can you imagine trying to swim with all that added weight once that coat got wet? Granted, the coats on the show Poodles are VERY extreme and most people with working Poodles don't work dogs in coat like that. There is a historically correct version of that trim that's basically the same pattern, just much shorter. Still, I LOVE these Standards in full show coat. I intend to eventally put my own Standard, Perry, in this trim just for the practice and experience. Whether it is considered unattractive or not, it is certainly an art. I am going to use him in grooming competitions and hope to eventually gain enough experience and training to show Standards (way off in the future). I wish I could make this trim work on my Toy Poodle, but she's just built way wrong (too many faults to camouflage!) and her coat is way too cottony. My white Standard... he's a beauty!

Yup, I'm the odd one, but there is nothing more elegant to me than a Standard in a full continental trim. :iloveyou:

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0aADmAq8hWCDCFjJq59iEAUSxAUeVNhJsyIkiQAy9yOU5Ar6namnJv3A7Fhy82YL55zkLT5lQcg6jhnjGHj8BigEMAoRQ3DRJSSqNjgQbH4foadypdzPauwVgBRpaldq5r5x*Q1F6g1irQIAlswgn5GxsYS80LjAg/standard-in-snow.jpg?dc=4675422080044803446[/img]

[color=darkred]My nan and grandad used to have a white Miniature Poodle called Tina....she was a beauty!
I don't remember her much....this was wayyyy back in my childhood days and they lived in Swansea South Wales in the UK, so I didn't get to see her often living in the Midlands! She lived with Mick the Dalmation and Penny the Labrador, plus four cats [/color]:)

Horsefeathers, that is a very striking picture. Although I don't personally find it overly attractive I do have to say it's very impressive looking.

Though I kind of feel sorry for the male poodles. The picture makes me think of a snooty rich lady wearing a fur hat and wearing ankle boots and a muff.

[quote name='Malamum']Though I kind of feel sorry for the male poodles. The picture makes me think of a snooty rich lady wearing a fur hat and wearing ankle boots and a muff.[/quote]

Maybe that's why so many people call them French Poodles...? because they look like they would belong tripping haughtily along the Champs-Elysees? :D

This link shows you how to make a poodle out of balloons!
[url]http://www.angelfire.com/hi3/PamsPlace/balloons/poodle.html[/url]

Horsefeathers, don't worry 'bout it. We all have our own tastes. *wink* Just glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks it's totally weird... could never totally understand that, and don't think I ever will. Oh, well.

Shannon, I don't like the whole bow-and-ribbon thing either. It's too fru-fru (sp?) for me... but I didn't know it effected their eyes.

I've made poodle balloons before, it was actually pretty easy... but I just looked at one that my aunt (she was a pro balloon maker in her day, lol) made for me and figured it out. But I like challanges like that...

Oh, I forgot to mention the Schnauzers... I think it's really ugly how they comb the muzzle down to make it look like they got a mustach/beard thing. Weird... My neighbor tryed to do that to her schnauz... but missed the look by like a mile... lol. It was sure amuzing though!

[quote name='Prairie_Gurl']

Shannon, I don't like the whole bow-and-ribbon thing either. It's too fru-fru (sp?) for me... but I didn't know it effected their eyes.

Oh, I forgot to mention the Schnauzers... I think it's really ugly how they comb the muzzle down to make it look like they got a mustach/beard thing. Weird... My neighbor tryed to do that to her schnauz... but missed the look by like a mile... lol. It was sure amuzing though![/quote]

[color=darkred]Many breeds with hair covering there face have very sensitive eyes, thats why its a must not to cut it...a trim is fine but to remove it all is cruel for the breed.

Schaunzers, Kerry Blue Terriers and Airedales etc all have beards. I don't know the reason for that but I think its cute to see it brushed down[/color] :D

[quote name='K']Oh so Bows and Ribbons are a no no then :oops: ..I was just thinkig how I could fix a pink one to Bobbi now she is all nice and clean.....maybe not then :oops:[/quote]

[color=darkred]K You could put a slide with a bow or ribbon on it, in her hair LOL....don't know if it would stay in but you could try!

I used to have them in mine back in my childhood days...Umm do they still do them[/color] ?

Quote by Shannon C
[quote]Many breeds with hair covering there face have very sensitive eyes, thats why its a must not to cut it...a trim is fine but to remove it all is cruel for the breed. [/quote]

I am just wondering where you heard the above information??? to my knowledge these breeds eyes do not require the hair to cover their eyes due to the eyes being sensitive to light...remember purebreds are not "orginal" dogs...they have been bred by people to have the look or pocess the motor patterns that either help us or are pleasing to the eye...for most long haired breeds (for example the Old English Sheepdog) the working dog does not pocess as much coat as the "show" quality dog has. Most breeders keep the dogs in long coat for show, but would probably recommend to a pet owner to have the dog scissored.

Since Shadow has long ears (before I got her I never had floppy eared dogs)I have tons of fun with them by putting pony tails in them and cute things like that. She loves the attention and doesn't mind. Plus, it gives the neighbors something to look at. lol. But I don't do it all the time now... just during Christmas and her birthday.

Once (I don't know what got into us) my sis and I put little butterfly baretts in Rocky's hair. It's long enough so you can do stuff like that, so he didn't care. He loved the attention. It looked retarded, but we had fun.

lol... just had to share some stories wit u!!

[quote name='Cassie']
I am just wondering where you heard the above information??? to my knowledge these breeds eyes do not require the hair to cover their eyes due to the eyes being sensitive to light...remember purebreds are not "orginal" dogs...they have been bred by people to have the look or pocess the motor patterns that either help us or are pleasing to the eye...for most long haired breeds (for example the Old English Sheepdog) the working dog does not pocess as much coat as the "show" quality dog has. Most breeders keep the dogs in long coat for show, but would probably recommend to a pet owner to have the dog scissored.[/quote]

[color=darkred]I knew of someone who had a Kerry Blue and Yorkshire Terrier.
the Kerry Blue would be trimmed quite often to remove the dead hair and it was always cut from his face.....over the years he had nothing but problems with his eyes, eventually he went blind.
The Yorkie had bows in his hair and eventually he went blind has well...after the vet examined them...he said there eyes were sensitive to light because the hair was removed from the face[/color] :-?

That's why I like my breed. Take a Shiba with a correct water-repellant coat, get him dirty, wipe clean with towel. Ready for show! (No, I'm not kidding. I hardly ever bathe Kato.) You gotta realize though that with some of these breeds, the hair-do is part of the show, and showing off one's grooming skills is a big deal. I have a theory that the reason you see Poodles take BIS so often is because the judges feel sorry for the handlers after putting in so much work! :P

[quote]That's why I like my breed. Take a Shiba with a correct water-repellant coat, get him dirty, wipe clean with towel. Ready for show! (No, I'm not kidding. I hardly ever bathe Kato.) You gotta realize though that with some of these breeds, the hair-do is part of the show, and showing off one's grooming skills is a big deal. I have a theory that the reason you see Poodles take BIS so often is because the judges feel sorry for the handlers after putting in so much work![/quote]
I think that is true

I gotta go with Kiger - wash and wear is my style

Poodles who actually are used for work dont get the entire shave, there is
some hair left in those places to protect from cold and insects, but it's like a marine cut. very short and thick. Also, the fluffy parts are not kept that
long and dont come out looking blow-dried. The joints and major organs were kept more hairy for protection from the elements, and the rest of the coat was cut short to allow for better swimming.

I agree with Kiger - my dog is a lab mix. Short hair, waterproof (you can actually see it bead up when she gets wet) the perfect water retrieval
dog. Comes out of the pond, shakes, and she's dry. No haircuts, no styling, no shaving. As is. Am I just lazy, or what??? LOL

Of course, a poodle left with longer hair stays warmer in the winter, so there's two sides to every story....

And for bows, if the dog is ok with them then it's fine. I personally wouldnt do it, but dont object to anyone who does.

:D