Dogomania

Itchy Cocker Spaniel

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My 3 year old cocker spaniel has itchy skin. We have ruled out allergies. She responds to antibiotics but I don't want to be giving those to her on a regular basis. I use oatmeal shampoo for bathing and we do not have a flea problem at all. My groomer has mentioned that she may have ring worm. Has anyone ever heard of this? and are there any remedies. She shampoos my baby with a special fungal shampoo. Does anyone know where I can get such a shampoo. The poor little thing gets huge welts on her that open up and seep and itch. Does anyone have any clues? I'm not happy with my vet, she doesn't seem very interested in getting to the bottom of the problem. All she wants to do is try different remedies. I want answers and some releif for my baby. :cry:

Found out what it is:

Ringworm
Ringworm is not a worm at all, but a fungal infection of the skin. It can be difficult to diagnose in animals, as the lesions do not look the same from case to case. Some animals, especially cats, can carry the fungus in their hair coat without showing signs of itching, scaly skin, and hair loss. In people, the classic lesion is a raised, reddened, and itchy "ring."

OK, go here. [url]http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanual_home/sec18/202.jsp[/url]
If you click on the first link on that page it'll take you to a page that has ringworm on it....just have to scroll down a bit. Talks about causes and treatments.

IF it is ringworm, you need to get it treated immediately. It is zoonotic, meaning you dog could have gotten it from you, or you can catch it from your dog.

You need to have a vet who tends to your needs and satisfies you and your beloved pet. I suggest you seek a new vet and get this problem under control.
Good luck.