Dogomania

Question about dog shampoo...

sheltielover

We used tea tree on Sky and it made her itchy, but she has a gluten allergy, so perhaps she's more susceptible to allergies.
We use (can I say brand names?) Johnson and Johnsons baby shampoo on her. As someone said it sometimes doesn't make much difference to the doggy smell, but it's gentle and makes them very shiny :D
I dont know how often you should bath dogs, but Sky being smooth coated only gets bathed a couple of times a year, unless she's filthy :lol:

I usually don't bathe Honey too many times a year. I use the dog bath wipes and they work pretty good for her. But with summer coming and with her shedding so much, I usually bathe her twice during the summer, unless, like you said Lisa, she get's filthy. I'm going to use the johnson & johnsons baby shampoo. Thank you all so much!! :)

I know you all seem to be having success with baby shampoo but it actually will not be good them. Human skin has a different PH than dog skin. Human shampoo is too acidic for dogs skin and will cause it to get dry. It is best to use a dog shampoo if possible. However, grocery store brands (Hartz, etc) are not good either, usually too harsh. There is a great company called BioGroom that makes excellent shampoo for dogs. It it expensive but it lasts a long time. I have had the same bottle (12 oz) for a year now and we bath 2 dogs once a week. JRT's are prone to dry skin and it is recommended not to bath them more than 3 times a year. However I could not do that!!! This shampoo is so wonderful it actually makes her skin healthier. My vet even asked what shampoo I use cuz her skin and coat are so nice. It is kinda like the food issue, you really are better off using natural products.

I use Biogroom extra body shampoo plus the Super Foam coat dressing. It really poofs him up. Another one I can recommend is Stazko No-Rinse for quick cleanups:

[url]http://www.dogsoutfitter.com/cgi-bin/sgin0105.exe?FNM=00&T1=190985+108&UID=2003051515133633&UREQA=1[/url]

• 1 month later...