Dogomania

Mean Chelsea

Chelsea is sooooooo mean to Daisy. She is the Alpha and has to show it all day long!! I came home from work the other day and Daisy's collar was laying on the kitchen floor. I think she ripped it right off her neck :evil: Poor Daisy doesn't get any peace :( Chelsea is a wonderful dog when she is without Daisy, but together, well.... I can hardly stand it.
[b]WHAT SHOULD I DO? [/b] It is constant!!!!!

P.S. I don't think she is mixed with Lab. She is about 7 months old, and doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. I think she is starting to look like a Border Collie and ????

This may not be the case in your situation, but are you SURE that Chelsea is the "alpha"? I'm just asking because in general, the top ranking dog in a group rarely will show "aggression" (I know that's not what you called it, but just as in growling, snapping, etc), and many won't even express their dominance because they KNOW they are the top rank, and they don't need to prove it. In our house, Goo is #1, Annie is #2, Casey & Joey switch back and forth in #3 and #4 spots. Goo NEVER gets involved in the other dogs' little squabbles, but sometimes will actually get between them during rough play and stand as if she's trying to seperate them. Occasionally Casey or Joey (who I think would try to move up in rank if they thought they could) will go after her for something or other, and she'll just spin around to evade them, then go back to whatever else she was doing. It takes a LOT to get her to react with any sort of "aggression". Annie has little interest in starting conflicts, either, but she's a little quicker to fire than Goo, and if they push her, she'll come right back at them. Casey and Joey are the two who most often try to start fights, or harrass the other dogs.

With Chelsea being so young, it's possible that maybe Daisy is still higher up in rank than she is, but Chelsea is trying to move up above her. What was their "structure" like when you still had Trixie? If she was higher than Chelsea, then maybe Chelsea thinks this is an invitation to climb right up the "ladder". Not saying this is what's happening, but it's something to consider at least. Do you do anything (like agility or flyball, or even obedience) with them, something that could let Chelsea let off some energy and have some sort of "job"?

[quote]I kind of do that now, but don't use the same command[/quote]
You must always use the same command every time !
With my 2 I use 'enough' and at first I would say it and break them up until they calmed down but now they have learned and they stop on command.

[quote]but just as in growling, snapping, etc), [/quote]
Chelsea does none of that. She is just a pain to Daisy. Always bugging her, never leaving her alone. Kind of just picking, picking and more picking. She is a bully.

I had started to do a little agility with both of them, just started out small, and bought a hoop for them to run and jump through, but Chelsea is afraid of everything, and would run from it. Daisy jumps through with no problem (for a treat).

Trixie was the Alpha before, and Daisy knew her place. Daisy did a little bugging too to Trixie, when she was a puppy, but that was just normal puppy stuff, nothing like this. Since we have had Chelsea, Daisy looks and act almost defeated!! She gives up her toys and bones to Chelsea, and doesn't seem to have as much fun as she used to.....

Hope I haven't left anything out....

When one dog steals the "top spot" from another (same as wolves) there is always going to be tension because the loser wants her place back....

Also, the lady across the yard has a Border Collie and Freebee doesnt like her. That surprised me at first, until she said there is an issue with female BC's and other female dogs....The BC wants to be dominant - she called it "female aggression". And since Freebee is very dominant and wont budge on that spot, they dont get along....

If you want to keep both dogs, you will have to demote one of them.
It's a very hard thing to do. But you will have to intervene and make one of them the lower ranking animal. Otherwise they will fight all the time.

Good luck!!

:(

Shadow does that shit to Rocky. Pulls on him. Eats him. Graves his leg so he has to walk on threes. She's the bully, the alpha, the boss, and the one-in-charge (besides me). I have to go and pull her off of him sometimes. It's really annoying, but lately it's been getting better. Don't ask me why. Just make sure that Chelsea knows that this is unacceptable and u are the alpha... otherwise I"m not sure.

PS I luv Chelsea's name!! (it's my real first name *wink*)

[quote name='gooeydog']This may not be the case in your situation, but are you SURE that Chelsea is the "alpha"? I'm just asking because in general, the top ranking dog in a group rarely will show "aggression" (I know that's not what you called it, but just as in growling, snapping, etc), and many won't even express their dominance because they KNOW they are the top rank, and they don't need to prove it..... [/quote]

This is so true.

At Sally's mom and dad's house her dad Caleb is [u]actually[/u] the Alpha dog, their momma, Elsa, is the acting alpha but whenever the pups won't listen to her Caleb will walk up to the squabble stand there and bark just once; [u]Everybody[/u] stops what they're doing and goes their own way. Caleb has never gotten into a dominance fight with anyone, everybody knows that what he says is law, even momma dog Elsa, who is a very strong Alpha personality will back away from Caleb at just a stare from him.

:angel:

It is a dominance issue - she is working on taking over, but hasnt gotten complete control yet. You will need to demote one fo them, if it becomes
necessary. Many times, during dominance takeovers, it seems like the dogs are about to kill each other, but it rarely ever happens. One of them will eventually give in, and things wil settle down. However, if NO ONE
gives in, then demotion of one of them will be necessary by you. You are the alpha, you make the rules...

[quote]
Hmmmm....... I may be onto something here :roll:[/quote]

[size=6][i][color=darkred]Daisymom you certainly are onto something here. Border Collies whether there purebred or mixed are a tough breed. Penny is half Border Collie and she can be a total pain sometimes. If it was up to her she would not leave Patch alone....who apparently doesn't leave her alone LOL.
However I had to stop them from playing with each other as Penny was too rough and kept hurting Patch, but suprisingly she still tries even though Patch does start it and also tries to have is end away with Penny :roll: even though he as been neutered. (MUST BE SOMETHING IN THE AIR)
I am sure she thinks she is the leader of the pack although Patch was here first....she was always ahead of him and Charlie so I decided to Go In Order! Patch comes first, then Charlie and then Penny...so she knows she isn't top of the pack. I do that with the commands and at feeding times in which she and Patch have to be seperated at meal times otherwise she would eat his. I am no way always soft with my dogs but firm when its needed.....which is quite often with Penny cause she likes to put deaf ears on! If she gets really naughty she gets a smack on her nose not that she is bothered by it....they do get bored very quickly
looking for waysof getting attention, this is what gets her into trouble of
course by telling them off or tapping them on the nose is giving them that attention so I try to ignore it, which is quite impossible sometimes.

I know what you are going through[/color][/i][/size] :-?