Dogomania

Ewww! A Tick!

This all started yesturday when I was outside playing with Zebra and he was lying at my feet waiting to be pet. As I stated to pet him I noticed that there was a tick on him! A big nasty ugly tick! *Before I continue you should prolly know that I HATE bugs especially nasty small ones like ticks and fleas. I HATE BUGS!*. So when I saw the tick i kinda freaked out and yelled at jumped up. *stupid me should have killed it but i wasn't gunna touch it!*. So being the parinoid person I am I go get my dad and have him brush Zebra from nose to tail just to make sure that the tick was gone. And because I'm soo parinoid of bugs being on Zebra or in the house I decided to give him a bath *he needed it anyways he was getting stinky!*. So I give him a bath and brush him again! We could find no tick so I thought that it got washed off when i gave him a bath. Today when I got home I was petting Zebra and I felt something on his side and when i looked it was the evil tick! I literaly screamed! I made my dad come and take it off while i held zebra down. My dad had to use needel nose pliers to pull it off of him and it was sooo big and it was full of blood! Uh! So desgusting and poor little Zebra! I don't know if I did the right thing by taking it off with pliers but i was NOT going to touch it and i doubt that my dad was going to touch it either. But I cleaned the area very good with warm water and some special stuff for dogs if they have cuts. ---

So the questions I want to ask is..Is there a right way to take off a tick? What kind of stuff do you give your dogs to keep ticks off? Do you give your dog stuff to keep ticks off?

Ticks arn't a big problem where I live so i'm not extreamly worried about it. I would just like to know just in case it ever happens again.

yes many flea sprays have a tick affect in them aswell, but doesnt always stop them

though when taking out a tick you shuold be careful coz as you pull on the tick it bites harder.... you have to get the plier right at the mouth of the tick before pulling....

also now keep an eye on his skin in this area....

my cat suffers eczma and once came home with millions of ticks after starying away..... i couldnt get them out he had to go vets.... now his eczma is really baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.... and have to treat him with skin cream and skin food....

also some ticks can carry diseases, so if you worry you can have check ups and tests... to make sure.... !!!!

:D

I can sympatize with you about the tick thing, although fleas don't bother me as bad, ticks make me nausous.

I use Adams Flea & Tick spray, it kills the tick and then the tick will not have a grip and you can get tick and teeth out with no problem. It works great as a preventive spray also. When we go to the lake (big tick problem there) I spray them down with it and usually have no problem all week-end.

:angel:

Wan't there some thread about ticks and having to twist as you pull the tick out so you get the mouth too?

I'll have to see about that Flea and Tick spray - Around here there is a big problem with Lyme disease from ticks. Of course there is also West Nile virus from fleas, don't know if that effects dogs too but it effects people and birds. (We have lost a huge portion of our more rare birds of prey to it already :( )

Grab it close to the mouth (right by the skin where its attached) and twist clockwise. This forces it to let go, and keeps the sucker-thingy's (so technical, I know) from staying imbedded in the skin.

I use frontline for fleas and ticks. It has the advantage that it not only kills the bugs on the dog, but it somehow manages to kill the ones in furniture and carpet so they cant spread.

[quote]I thought the West Nile was from mosquito's? can fleas have it too?
Thats what we were so worried about since we go to our cottage for the summer, there are so many mosquitos, and theres no prevention 'cept bug spray for them.[/quote]

West Nile Virus infected Mosquito's are the primary source for West Nile Virus, although ticks infected with West Nile have been found in Asia & Africa...their role in the transmission & maintenance of the virus is uncertain...however, there is no information to suggest ticks played any role in the cases identified in the United States...I have never heard any information suggesting fleas can transport or even carry West Nile Virus.

Female ticks are also poisonous if I remember rightly? Not sure about that.
Stronghold (according to the website I read the other day) actually doesn't protect against ticks, but it does protect against fleas, mites, ear mites, round worm and mange...
I heard somewhere that burning the ticks (cigarette on the bum apparently!) helps, but really that sounds kinda dangerous especially with a long haired dog :o
There's also a powder you can get from the vets, but dont know what it's called.
I was told never to pull them as it leaves their heads behind and that can cause infection.
As someone said on a similar thread the other day (on another site) - scream and run to the vets without touching it :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I took Mary to the vet for her 1 year check up last night (she is perfect btw)

My vet recommends Advantix. She is a holistic vet and I have a lot of faith in her. She says it is the only preventative treatment that does not go through the skin and into the bloodstream. Once in the blood stream it can cause liver function problems. I will be using it from now on. We have horrible fleas/ticks/mosquitos b/c our winters are considerably mild.

Thanks all for the info! It's very helpful! I talked to the vet and he was suprised that my dog had a tick because they are not common here. I live in a suburb of Los Angeles. Usually when you take dogs camping or hiking in the mountains here that's when they get ticks. But to have them in a big city is very rare. Soo I hope it was just some kind of weird fluke. But i hope I never have to see one of thoes nasty evil ticks again..they realy freak me out. :oops:

We use Advantage for fleas and that works very well. But it dosn't do anything for ticks..at least i don't think it does. But thanks again for all the info..very helpful!