Dogomania

When you don't do your homework

Kiger

Check out why this Shiba was dumped:
[url]http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=1629719&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=3eaec06d63958414-app1&display=&preview=1&row=0[/url]

[quote]Sheeba was surrendered to us by her owners after they realized she required more time and training than they expected. She developed a habit of dashing through doors in an attempt to follow after four very young children.[/quote]

Time? Training? What's that? FOUR small children?! What a disaster.
Ok, I know I'm being judgemental, but this really ticks me off. Anyone who does 2 seconds worth of Googling can come up with dozens of websites that tell you flat out that Shibas can be stubborn, take a lot of training, and will squeeze their fuzzy little body through the door as soon as it opens at least half an inch. It's also a bad habit that can be fixed easily in a very short period of time. But they dumped the dog instead. :evil:
I wish I could take her.

This reminds me of an 8 or 9 year old kid that used to live across the street from me. One day he came home with an adorable little Shiba puppy, and about 2 weeks later, I stopped seeing it. I asked him if he still had the puppy and he said that his parents took it back to the pet store because he "wasn't taking care of it right" I'm like, what do you mean? and he said something to the affect of, "well it was crapping all over the house and it wouldn't shut up at night, and it chased my little sister...oh yeah, and sometimes I didn't have time to feed it, soo..." :o What were these people smoking when they got this puppy?? Sounds like it was a pretty impulsive decision, they obviously did no research on the breed - and they were putting almost all of the responsibilty on the 9 year old!! some people... :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:

Yeah, I saw that too, and she probably is from a petshop. They are showing up more and more there because they are very cute puppies and sell like hotcakes. I've seen them showing up more as breeding stock on miller auction lists too. There are a lot of very, very bad Shibas out there now - most don't even resemble the standard and/or have nasty temperments.
My old Schnauzer has luxating patellas and it didn't really affect her until she was 12 years old. I wonder how bad this dog's knees are.

[quote name='Cheetah']"well it was crapping all over the house and it wouldn't shut up at night, and it chased my little sister... they obviously did no research on the breed[/quote]

Or ANY breed! Puppies that poop and cry and chew on things? Unheard of! :roll:
I was talking to Kato's breeder the other day and she said she had to entertain a bunch of people who wanted what she described as a stuffed animal - perfect little puppies they could pay attention to when they had the time. Sheesh, my husband missed most of football season last year because he was constantly following little Kato around the house and supervising him. (He likes to keep reminding me about how he sacrificed his TV time.)

Kiger, at first I thought you meant he missed playing rather than watching :wink: :lol: but the principal is still they same - dogs are work and take time and energy. I am not playing soccer this year as our game times conflict with Indy's training class.

I think a lot of people should get those battery operated robot dogs instead of a real, living, breathing, thinking thing. :-?

Guest Anonymous

MicheleJCJC here: i'm on my computer at home and it keeps putting "guest".....anyways.....i agree with you all.....if you get a puppy..it takes alot of work..my friend recently bought me an airline ticket to Puerto Rico for a week..i was flattered BUT....i asked him: what about my dog??...he said: well, cant you just find someone to watch him? I said: are you crazy!!!!!!.....do you really think I would leave my dog with just anyone....a dog is a responsibility.....i am not going to Puerto Rico...because I am not comfortable with the people that volunteered to watch my dog...call me stupid...but I dont care......you have a dog, you have a responsibility...for life......

It really makes me mad when people get dogs just because they look cute.
I must have done about a years research on Sibes before I actually got one, I booked his training classes and he started them at 10 weeks old, and had to skip the puppy class because he had learnt the basics already.
I can let him off the lead, he is not aggressive, he is excellent with other dogs, children, cats and ferrets!
I reckon that most of the things you hear about dogs being bad with certain things I.E husky's running away All the time, is because people get them for the image and don't bother to train them, until it gets out of hand and is too late. That is why breeds like Dobermann, Staffs, Rotties etc have reputations for ebing aggressive, because people get them for the image and no nothing about how to train them properly.
There is a family down the road form me who have a Sibe a week younger than Kodi and it is aggressive, untrained, noisy, they ended up asking me for advice, because they saw how much better behaved Kodi was. Mind you I gave them all the information on our training club and they never came.. :roll:
Some people! :evil:

I'm curious how you trained him to stay with you offlead. I wouldn't trust Kato for an instant. He sees a bug and that's all it takes for him to zone out and forget I exist. (Grasshoppers are a favorite.)

Well, I'm not sure exactly how long it will last..! :roll:
As soon as I got him, I started training recalls, as I knew this was important, and so far (he is 6 months now) he has been quite good.
I use the term 'good' loosely! he has his moments when he'll spot a dog and not be able to resist, but if I call him, he'll usually come back straight away.
He LOVES kids though, and there are always kids playing football at our park, that is his only downfall, he'll run up and try to join in! :roll:
They have learnt by now, that his main aim is to pop the ball, so they pick it up if they see him coming!
He is pretty good though, and he is fine if I walk him with my sisters dogs, because they just play. he has a wonderful temperament though, which he gets from his parents..he's such a laid back dog!!
BTW why did you name him Kato, we call our cat that, cos she jumps out at you.. :o