Dogomania

My local dog park is being overrun!

slim86

By APBT's

I can't take my dog to the dog park anymore. :cry: Last night my 6 mo. old GSD got in a fight with 2 APBT's and a boxer at the same time. All 3 were against my dog.

The boxer had been showing dominance on my GSD for a while. I can understand things like that. The Pit Bull, on the other hand, was playing with my GSD real nice but his mood tuned really fast and he started attacking my puppy then his buddy the other APBT jumped on him and then the boxer ran over and jumped on him. All three dogs were chewing on my dog.

The owners of the boxer just stood there and called his name. The girl with the 2 APBT's did nothing to stop it. As a matter of fact she was on her cell phone most of the time, not paying any attention to what her dogs were doing. Not sure if she was on her cell phone at the time of the fight. Anyway, I ran over and pulled the boxer off my dog and screamed at the top of my lungs at the APBT's. It was all I needed to do to get them off. I grabed my dog and as I was trying to put his leash on one of the APBT's and the boxer came back at my dog. Very angry now, I screamed at the top of my lungs at the dogs and they left. Then I screamed at the top of my lungs at the owners to at least try and control there dogs. Finaly I got my dog on his leash and was able to leave the dog park.

It seems like these types of people/dogs are at the dog park every time I go there. My dog knows nothing about dominance or fighting. He just wants to run and play. He's only 6 mo. old. All he knows is that he's supposed to chase things. That's it. He's not trying to start fights.

As I left the dog park, I screamed at the girl with the APBT's (foul language included). I made quite a scene but I'm sure any other dog owner would do the same if they saw there puppy being attacked by 2 Pit Bulls and a 90lb Boxer while the owners just stood there and let it happen.

Something funny happened after I screamed at the girl with the Pit Bulls. The guy getting ready to enter the park with his pit bull put him back in his car and left.

My dog only got a few little cuts where the Pit Bulls latched on to his sides and leg and didn't get anything from the Boxer.

I love the dog park when I can take my puppy there and let him play without the threat of him getting attacked. Am I wrong in thinking that the APBT's should not be at the dog park? I know the boxer was involved too but I don't think I would have had a problem with the boxer had the Pit Bulls not started the fight in the first place. My dog needs to be socialized with other dogs but I just can't take him there anymore. I've seen too many Pit Bulls get into fights there and I'm not making a generalization either. Every time I've seen a serious fight a Pit Bull has been in the middle of it. The last few times I've been there there have been anywhere from 4 to 8 Pit Bulls running around and I've only seen one owner intently watching what it was doing.

I'm really upset that I can't take my dog to the dog park anymore.

Regards,

Slim

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really sad that irresponsible owners like these create bad reputations for the bully breeds. People who can't control their dog shouldn't have them off lead and if there *is* a fight (sometimes they just happen for no obvious reason, dogs are like people in the fact that they can instantly dislike each other!) you take some responsibility for your dog and not just yap on your phone or file your nails or look away. Arrrgh! :evil:

Actually last week there was some egotistical guy with his pit bull who was actually trying to get his APBT to fight other dogs. Again, I had to leave the dog park because of some idiot dog owner.

This dog ended up going after a 8-10 year old boy and the owner just said, "you must have some jerky in your pocket or something".

I don't have problems with people owning pit bulls but I don't think it's appropirate to bring them to the dog park. They were bred to fight other dogs and they usually do. I've seen a 60lb APBT almost tear a 140lb Rottwielers head off. It makes me a little nervous when there are 8 of them running around with my puppy.

Slim

Slim, I don't know enough about Pits to comment (they are banned in my state in Aust), but there are several Pit owning and loving people here- I don't know if they take them to dog parks. If a dog is dog aggressive regardless of breed s/he should always be on lead under the control of the owner. I know the ABPT is bred to be dog aggressive so maybe my statement would apply to most ABPTs. RESPONSIBLE owners don't have their dog aggressive dogs off lead, well you'd hope so anyway! :-?

I would be scared too if it was my little puppy being picked on! :o

I need to be honest here. My puppy isn't little. He's about 70 uncoordinated lbs. but he's only 6 months old in the head. Size doesn't matter much when ther is a APBT involved, though.

Slim

On a side not I watched your boy from Ausi Chad Reed win his fourth straight American Supercross Race. Do you know who I'm talking about?

I find it rather hard to believe that there ase SO many "bad" APBT owners that frequent your dog park. unless you live in the ghetto.
and if your dog got away with a few scratches after being "mauled" by 3 dogs, 2 of which were APBT no less, consider yourself lucky. I wasn't there so I'll go by what you say. On a personal note I have met more good owners than bad by a ratio of 9:1. I take my dog everywhere and so far any problems have been small. He won't turn away from a fight against another animal but i'm prepared for that. as an APBT owner i usually take my dog to the swampy area of a nature park to avoid anyone but that's where i usually met other "dangerous breeds" with their owners.
find a breed club in your area so you can hang w/ like minded people. or go to a different park if that's possible.
so if your looking for a poor baby you won't find it here.

Come to the dog park I go to and see for yourself! Are you calling me a liar? I'm sorry if I offended you but it's a reality. I did mention the one APBT owner that did watch his dog. I'm not looking for poor me responses I can take care of myself. I certainly wouldn't take my GSD to the dog park if he was going to cause trouble.

Would it have made you happy if I had told you that my GSD had huge gashes and I had to take him to the Vet and spend $1,000 to get him sewed up? I'm sure it would have happened if I didn't jump in and pull my dog out from underneath them so quickly.

Are you saying it's okay for dog aggressive dogs to run free (off leash) with other dogs? Does it suprise you that a dog that was made for fighting gets in fights when it runs free with other dogs? This is what I was getting at with my post. Am I crazy for thinking that it's not okay for Pit Bulls to run free at the dog park? Like I said before, there are at least 3-4 APBT's and sometimes as many as 8 on a Saturday and they are all off leash. If you don't believe me come and see for yourself.

Slim

i understand your concern for your puppy, anyone could. but you should place the blame on the owners of the dogs, not the dogs themselves. it is my belief that any dog owner that brings their dogs to the park and proceeds to completely ignore them, be it a chihuahua or a pit bull, is irrespsonsible. please realize that many pit bulls are naturally dog aggressive. my apbt is not yet 6 months old, and already somewhat aggressive toward many dogs. for this reason, i don't take her to the dog park. i would never want to be in a situation where my dog injured another. i know many responsible pit owners will not take their dogs to off leash parks for this reason. it sounds like you do have some sort of a problem with irresponsible owners in your area, who happen to own potentially dangerous dogs. my advice is, when you see a potentially dangerous situation (ie. overtly aggressive dogs with a shady looking owner) put your dog on his leash and leave! but don't think that all pit bulls should be avoided or that they are all bad, it's simply not true. :D

ps. it does seem unlikely that a puppy attacked by two pitbulls would come away so unscathed. it's also quite unusual that your screaming made them stop. most pit bulls will not stop unless physically restrained, and even then it takes a lot to make them stop. i wouldn't doubt it if they were just trying to play with your pup and got carried away. these dogs do play quite rough.

[quote name='"slim86"']Come to the dog park I go to and see for yourself! Are you calling me a liar? I'm sorry if I offended you but it's a reality. I did mention the one APBT owner that did watch his dog. I'm not looking for poor me responses I can take care of myself. I certainly wouldn't take my GSD to the dog park if he was going to cause trouble.

> not a liar just a breed racist. you seemed to hype up the APBT part just like the media wants you to.

Would it have made you happy if I had told you that my GSD had huge gashes and I had to take him to the Vet and spend $1,000 to get him sewed up? I'm sure it would have happened if I didn't jump in and pull my dog out from underneath them so quickly.

> certainly not! but if they really were ATTACKING your pup no amount of $$ would help. and if the APBT were really meanhearted dogs you wouldn't be able to type right now.

Are you saying it's okay for dog aggressive dogs to run free (off leash) with other dogs? Does it suprise you that a dog that was made for fighting gets in fights when it runs free with other dogs? This is what I was getting at with my post. Am I crazy for thinking that it's not okay for Pit Bulls to run free at the dog park? Like I said before, there are at least 3-4 APBT's and sometimes as many as 8 on a Saturday and they are all off leash. If you don't believe me come and see for yourself.

> every case is different some are okay off leash others are not, but that is up to the owners of the dog to decide not you. don't like; lump it. I allow my dog off lead around other dogs, if a fight ever breaks out WE meaning the other owners and I know what to do. But we hang out in a dog park that mostly other dogs of similar background go to. does it surprise me our dogs fight? NOT ONE BIT. are you crazy to think the way you do? It's your opinion and i'm sure you know the saying about that. and the next time i'm traveling to UT i'll be sure to PM to get directions.

Slim

Slim86 - First off just ignore bullygirl. She is jumping to conclusion because she is sensitive to her breed.

I on the other hand know exactly where you are coming from. Our dog park is not over run by pits but when a pit has come, EVERY time it has caused trouble. This is because, as a responsible pit owner will admit, pits are dog aggressive period. It is a fact, part of their breeding, nothing that can be argued. However, our park has the position that no BREED will be banned but specific DOG/FAMILIES can be banned. We require a pass that must be bought to enter the park. Does your park have some kind of entrance pass? Do you have a local organization or park district that is responsible for managing the park? I am a volunteer at our park for a group called paws patrol. While we are there we educate owners on park ettiquette, signs of aggression, and appropriate play. We have VERY strict rules and I wouldn't go if they weren't there. If I witness a fight I have to provide a report to the local dog owners organization and the park district. If a dog gets into 3 documented fights, the pass is revoked. After each attack the owners are sent a warning letter. I think you should research who is responsible for the park and talk to them about your concerns. Find others who feel the same as you. Create and action group and become vocal.

Bullygirl - Relax. These situations occur all the time. Only when it is a pit do pit owners automatically cry discrimination and racism. Please. You choose to own the breed, accept what comes with it.

I conceed.

Sorry I took my GSD puppy to the dog park and he put himself in the Pit Bulls mouths.

All pit bulls at my dog park never, ever started a fight in there lives theyare the ones that are picked on.

I won't be taking my dog back to this particular dog park again. I'll drive to the other dog park 45 min away.

Again I conceed. I was mistaken. Pit Bulls and there owners are angels and they wouldn't hurt a flea. Sorry I even wrote in about this. I have absolutely no call to be upset at all.

Pit Bulls are tough my dog is weak so I guess I should have my dog on a leash so there would have been no problems. I understand now. Thanks

Slim

P.S. The reason he wasn't hurt badly is because the 90lb boxer jumped on top of my dog and really impeeded the Pit Bulls progress. The boxer really didn't know how to fight all that well he was just big. My dog was bleeding and was covered in dog slobber so ther is no doubt in my mind that the pit bulls were in fact bitting him. If your read my other post, on this thread, with the Rottwieler story, you'd know that I'm perfectly aware of what a pit bull is capable of doing.

I am not cryin breedist nor do i need anyone to coddle me. IMHO slim came off like one of those PETA ban the breed APBT haters. in slims first post nothing but general APBT comments. if slim wasn't able to have a civil discussion w/ the offending dog owner, who can't defend themselves in this forum, what makes you think slim wasn't over reacting? who was there? except slim please raise your hand. I mean come on ...i'm sorry if i find it hard to believe that 7 out 8 pits in the dog park are dangerous AND have bad owners. i'm sorry you feel like i am justifing or defending these alleged irresponsible owners and dogs. but in my life i find there are 3 sides to every story. 1 for each party involved and 1 for the truth which is somewhere in the middle. i'm not a child, the village idiot, or wear rose colored glasses. but ya can't feed me sh*t and call it rice crispes. i'm just tired of people complaining and taking NO action to change things. if your dog park is being over run; take it back i'm sure the other owners will back you. talk to the parks dept to start a group like mary said. don't be a victim.
But to jump on the bandwagon... poor slim's dog how could those terrible APBT be allowed to share the same park or even breathe for that matter.

I'm sorry I just read what you wrote:

"not a liar just a breed racist"

I see this happen to often. When I read it I saw a post describing an incident. You easily could replace APBT with Lab and then no one would complain. All of the sudden there is nothing wrong with what she said. I understand why you all are defensive of your breed but some of us are tired of hearing it. She didn't seek out to have bad experience with an APBT, it just happened. I learned that just because you think it doesn't sound right, doesn't mean that it didn't happen. I dont think she is out to ban pit bulls or any such nonsense. Sometimes we need to pick our battles.

"i'm just tired of people complaining and taking NO action to change things. if your dog park is being over run; take it back i'm sure the other owners will back you."

Then why didn't you just say that to begin with and leave the whole pit/peta/racist stuff alone?

it's bad owners like that that give pits a bad name. I was at the dog park 3 weeks ago and there were a whole bunch of pits there. Elle isn't socialized so I didn't dare put her in with the dogs. I know I was stereotyping, but there weren't a lot of smaller dogs there. :oops: I hope you have better luck next time at the park. Your pup deserves to play too!

Actually this type of behavior can happen with any breed...it just depends on how dominant the individual dog is (although I do realize APBT's do tend to be much more dog aggressive)
I have 3 Newfoundlands and a Rottweiler, the male Newf & Rottie are dominant...I have one young female and a very submissive female...when the dogs are playing they always pick on the submissive Newf...she spends most of her time clinging to my legs...(hiding behind my legs) but, when I have just have her and the one other dog out together there are no rough interactions...I have seen Newfoundland dogs acutally attack and hurt another Newf when it had fallen down... when bringing another dog into play with them even the new dogs tend to pick on my submissive bitch!
I think as a general rule, its probably not a good idea to let your dog play with mutiple dogs...find a couple of good freinds for your dog and walk with them..even a freind of mine who breeds Newf's will not keep more than 2 Newf's together at one time...

I'm with Bullygirl here... I don't own a APBT, so don't jump on me too, but I hate to hear the comment "they were bred for fighting"--some of them might come from such lines, but do you think that Mary Smith breeding APBTs in California is actually making her dogs fight between them and breeds the better fighters?! C'mon, people... There are many breedres who breed just well-tempered APBTs... Yes, they are powerful dogs, have lock jaws, etc., but that doesn't make all of them unable to play with other dogs. I know one APBT who's been coming to my dog park since she was 3 mo, and she's the sweetest dog--never saw her getting in a fight, she plays with my dog... It's true, they like to wrestle both of them (and Goldens and some other breeds don't).
So many of you might have had bad experiences, but that's not the breed, like eveyone's saying, it's the owners who get the APBTs and don't socialize them. And, Mary's Mama--you were saying how people wouldn't protest as much if you were lab-bashing instead... True. You know why? Because it's the groups that are always bashed, which are more sensitive about it. (You know, no white person would mind being called a "damn white"--and that's not because whites are more open minded--while a"damn negro" is a different thing). Just putting the things in perspective here...

Marymama to sum it up; that would be tooo easy. i would have said the same thing if it had been ANY breed w/ an already bad reputaion. sarcasim and b*llbustin are part of who I am. if slim asked for help to resolve the problem maybe I missed that one line, since it just seemed like a pit-y party (pun intended) to me. maybe I read to much into the original post but if you want me to cite the sentences that made me come to this conclusion i will.

pei,
i know what point you're trying to make, but you've got a little bit of information wrong. pit bulls are generally aggressive dogs, more so than other breeds. there are many things that come into play regarding this, but a large factor in it is the fact that pit bulls have been bred for fighting for a long time. even dogs that are not currently bred for fighting will have inherited these traits to some degree or another. :)
and on a side note, i take some offense to the comment that dog aggressive pit bulls are the result of bad owners who don't socialize their dogs. for months i brought roxy to the dog park a few times a week, where she would play with a variety of dogs. she meets dogs on the street all the time and very rarely to i make the decision to keep her from greeting them, instead allowing her to socialize. after these months of socialization though, at 6 months old, she has begun to exhibit dog aggression towards some dogs. i do consider myself i responsible apbt owner and part of that is knowing when socialization could potentially cause a problem and choosing to walk on by the dog park.

MOST pit bulls should not be at dog parks... the reason for this? If a conflict arises, the "average" pit bull is more likely to get involved than the "average" dog-of-another-breed, and more likely to cause serious damage then d-o-a-b. There a some pit bulls out there that are "dog park material", but not many, and even those cases are on a "day by day" basis, as you never know if/when they're going to start showing dog aggression. And the fact remains that most people who take their pit bulls to dog parks either are too ignorant to realize what teir dog is capable of, or just don't care. I'd be concerned if that had happened to my dog, even if the dogs were just playing (which is what it sounds like, had it been an actual fight, your pup would probably have needed to be put back together by the vet). If you enjoy that park so much, then find out who it's run by, and contact them about the lack of owner control in the park. Actually, you should talk to the owners first about their dogs' behavior, but they may or may not even pay attention. If you are unable to do something about that park, either find another park, or find a fenced area, contact a few other dog owners, and make your own playgroup.

Guest Anonymous

But oh well MY 2 cents.

Initially i was worried about his topic but it looks like we are working it out nicely.
Marysmama pit bulls are not monsters. they are dogs just like yours. they are individuals some are good with other dogs others are not. This sounds like dog park BSL to me. I took drey to the dog park for the first time yesterday he was great he played with dogs of all sizes and had a good time he slep like a baby when we got home. there was another guy there too. when we got there he was holding his dog it had blood on its face and about 20 feet from him was another guy with a pit bull and his dog was bruises too. now the average person would assume the pit bull attacked, WRONG. the boxer ran up to and attacked the pit bull while it was on lead! now did anyone say that all boxers should be banned? they are all chattering about how vicious pit bulls are, you read right the other dog started the fight and they still blamed the pit bull.

bullygirl is right dont lump them into vicious listing some are bad (at no fault of thier own) they are fighting owners and genetics, so when you see a good boy you better believe that is a GOOD BOY.

as always goo is right good owners know thier dog and dont let them run free in a dog park if they are aggressive and at the first sign of aggression they stop going. it people that think its cool to see a dog try to fight barking and snarling and then they praise the dog telling it that its doing good. and then put into a similar situation off-lead. (why you would do this, i dont know)

Slim i know how it is and i know how you feel, but dont think that all APBTs are monsters, the breeding dictates that they are not dog friendly but are tremendous family and people dogs. I have seen a great many of people aggressive GSDs but i dont let thatturn me off about the breed. and marysmamam we are not even gonna talk about how mean Jack Russels can be, because they are individual dogs.

not every pit bull is a mean pit bull

Thank you for your post gooydog. I like you already. That was exactly the info I was looking for. I was not trying to upset anyone. I was just looking for info.
I'm pretty sure the dogs were not playing. My dog was running as the pit bulls were trying to bite him. After the 90lb boxer jumped directly on top of my dog the pit bulls really had a hard time getting a good grip on my dog. I was not far behind the boxer and the pit bulls let up quite easily (I was very surprised) when I jumped in and grabbed my dog and the Boxer. They never really got a good hold on my dog though what little grip they did get was enough to draw blood. I'm sure it would have been much worse if the Boxer didn't jump on and cover my dog and if I hadn't jumped in so quickly. My dog was bleeding in the places whre the pit bulls were biting at him so I really don't think the Pit Bulls were playing. The Pit Bulls could have been young they were 35-45lbs each. Maybe that had something to do with it. Not to sure

Thanks again for the info.

Slim