Dogomania

RE: Bullmastiffs...Did you know?

imported_Cassie

I was talking with a breeder of Bullmastiffs and I was joking about how I wished that Newf's came in a smooth coat...and she asked if I had ever seen a long haired Bullmastiff...no I havent, she said that she had only seen a couple and they look some what like a Tibetan Mastiff..she said you can register them...but of course you can't show them...I know nothing about genetics but she said some thing about it being a recessive gene (has to be in both Male & Bitch)...any way, I'm sure all the Bullmastiff people are aware of this...but, I just thought it was kinda neat.... :roll:

Yeap, didn't know that about Bullmastifs (and I do find it interesting)... It also happens in Shar-pei (who only have either 1 inch coat or really short and rough coat) that from two really short haired dogs, breeders get dogs with coats like that of a Chow Chow :o Same reason, recesive gene (that's what I've read).

:o wow, I never knew that!
you learn something new everyday!
You can get Siberians with long(er) coats too...they're called wooly siberian huskies apparently!
Really gorgeous, although I think medium length is quite enough..can you imagine the hoovering if you had one?!! Doesn't bear thinking about! :roll:

pei I did'nt know that about the Shar Pei's thanks for sharing that info :)

[quote]YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE BEARCOAT [/quote] mouseatthebus So you have seen a long coated Bull mastiff? are they pretty cool looking?

[quote]You can get Siberians with long(er) coats too...they're called wooly siberian huskies apparently!
Really gorgeous, although I think medium length is quite enough..can you imagine the hoovering if you had one?!! Doesn't bear thinking about[/quote]
snowpaws, never saw a long coated Siberian either, only the normal medium coat...and how horrible would that be to groom! :lol: I work as a bather at a grooming facility...when I take the high velocity dryer to a husky the coat just flies! I usually leave looking like a long haired human...and could possibly be the next bearded and long haired back women of the 90's if a long haired husky ever came in! :lol:

Snowpaws, I'm with you. My Malamute has a medium length coat and that is enough brushing and vacuuming for me. The woolies are gorgeous though, they look like big teddy bears you just want to give them a cuddle.

The bearcoat Sharpei's also look pretty cool.

The bear coat shar-pei is lovely like a little newfy.
[quote]when I take the high velocity dryer to a husky the coat just flies! I usually leave looking like a long haired human...and could possibly be the next bearded and long haired back women of the 90's if a long haired husky ever came in! [/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 2 years later...
Guest Anonymous

I am the fortunate owner of 2 Shar peis. My Male Shar Pei is a Bear Coat and by far the more affectionate and loving of the 2. My female is a horsecoat and while also loving and attentive is a little more aloof. The Bear Coat is reported to be the original discription of the breed. Its been said that the coat was bred out of the breed but genectic ' throw backs' are making a comeback. My personal opinon would be that all breeds, including chow and pekinese from the chinese regions would be originaly long coated to cope with environmental conditions. The shorter coats being from the low land more regions. Thats just a personal theory. :D

• 1 year later...