Dogomania

How did you pick your dogs name ?

ellieangel

I kinda touched on this in another topic !
I'm just curious as to how you thought up/chose your doggies names.
We seem to get quite a few people looking for inspiration on here and I thought it would make an interesting thread !
My first pup Ellie was named partly after my Aunty Elly who lives in Holland the kids wanted to call her angel so I told them that would be her middle name !! But I changed the spelling so as not to offend Elly no need though she is a dog lover and thought it was great !!!
Rio's name was a compromise ! my hubby is a massive manchester United fan and just after the world cup everyone was raving about Rio Ferdinand over here so he suggested Rio and I said I could live with that as I had been a huge Duran Duran Fan as a kid and it suited him too !!!
Come on tell me yours ! :Dog_run:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poppy came with her name at 6years old
Paddy had his
Gladis I will spell it how it should be spelt Gwladys st-- We let my son name her, he did not want us to get another dog he felt it was too soon after the loss of Alice. He agreed and named her after one of the stands at his favourite football club-- he loves all the dogs very much now

Rowie had hers when we got her...I didn't know what it meant( :oops: ), so I made a topic over here about it(dunno if you remember), and found out that it meant Scottish Bread Roll! :o :lol: :roll: I ws like:"great I have a scottish bread roll for a pet!" :lol:

As for our previuose doggie, Honey(R.I.P my little :angel: :cry: ), well her coat was a WONDERFUL, deliciouse, rich, deep honey color, and so, you guessed it, we called her Honey! :D

And my cuzins dog(who's with us alot of the time), his name is Blackie...I think you know why! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

All our doggies have had a history for their names! (I dont' know Belle's though :oops: )

[i]Hazel[/i] got her name from her eyes. We sat around for a long time trying to think of it, then Anna suggested it. She got the "Nut" tagged on about a week later cuz she was such a little hell raiser, just a real NUT! :D The "Meg" came later when my friend started calling her "Witch Hazel Nut Meg Ryan" :lol: So I just kept the Meg cuz I liked it.

[i]Blue[/i] came from the SPCA and his name [i]was[/i] "Buster" but we didn't like it. We changed his name to Blue because if you held back some of his coat in the sun, his skin looked blueish! His fur sometimes got a blue tint when in the sun too! :D (He was a Black Lab)

[i]Jasper[/i] got his name from the town in Alberta; Jasper. He was a blue merle australian shepherd, and his coat looked a lot like the mountains in Jasper during the winter. (My mom named him)

and last but not least; [i]Daphne[/i] my little chihuahua that I got for my 7th b-day (I loved her so much and still miss her little soul) She was actually named after one of my sister's "Grand Champion horses" :lol: Daphne was my fave little one, and so my sister was just naming names off the top of her head, she was naming like all her "Phantom Horses" (long story on why we call them that) and I liked Daphne, it suited her. Later on "Kitty" was tacked on cuz she was so little, even smaller then our cats and it was just funny to have a dog named Kitty! :lol: (and yes, I've read that book :wink: )

my black lurcher cross is called shaddow because of his colour :D
my jack russell is called barney as my middle daughter was obssesed with a kids program about a purple dinosaur called barney!
My yorkshire terrier already had his name when he came to us, he`s called Joe.
My beloved Ben, who was a bearded collie cross went to the rainbow bridge 3 yrs ago, he was rescue and already had his name when he came to us.
My beloved Bronwin who was a rescue already had her name.

one of our cat`s is called domino as he`s black and white, our other cat is called Tiger as she`s stripped !!

Our new edition our nine month old rottie already had her name, Cleo, but she dosen`t respnod to it :o , and i`d really like to call her Layla.
Do you think it would be ok to change it :question:

Guest Anonymous

Jen - if she doesnt' respond it should be okay to change her name if you want! Blue was a year old when we got him, and we still changed his name!! :o (he didn't know Buster too well though) so I'm sure it'll be fine! :wink:

well, Alex came with his name ( he has gone to the Bridge now)

Freebee was advertised as a "purebred German Shepherd" (she's a lab/
GSP mix for cryin'out loud!!) and when she was picked up the lady wanted $20.00 for her (she was actually an accident, the whole litter was)
When it got pointed out to her that GSD's dont have floppy ears she gave us the dog for free. The first name that came to mind was "Freebie", but we changed it to "Freebee" cuz I like that better.

My cat is now called PushyCat, because he IS!!! (irritable, ill-tempered demanding thing that he is, but I really love him to pieces) but his original name was "Saavik" (from Star Trek). However he wouldnt answer to it
(because he is a MALE and Saavik is a female name, and the lady that gave him to us as a kitten insisted he was a female) so we changed his name to PushyCat and he is very content with that. We just call him Pushy, or Push....

I read somewhere that cats respond better to names that end with the

"EE" sound, soumething to do with their hearing....

BEAUTIFUL BORDER COLLIE...WOW what an age to live,that`s fantastic

COURTNEK.and...ELLIEANGEL that`s one of my favortie songs too, and that`s why i wanted to call her it. Also in the song it says "Layla, you got me on my knees!", and she likes to splat us until we`re on our knees, then kisses us till we`re soaking wet with licks :roll:
therefore i though it would be very appropreiate (sp) :lol:

For those umfamiliar with it - Layla is on an album by a short-lived group called Derek and the Domino's (led by Eric Clapton) called "Layla and other Love Songs. " There was a re-release of it by EC as "unplugged"
(acoustic only) but the original song is steel Fender guitar, rock at it's finest, and followed by a piano solo as long as the orignal steel guitar song. THAT is the version I consider my favorite song. It's worth hearing, if only for the piano solo....

:D

EC is known as one of the first to make a guitar "talk" - the bird call you hear at the end of the original was done by his expertise at playing, with
no synthesizers involved....

Ok now you all got me started....I had to out put my old "Cream of Clapton" CD and listen to Layla!!! I hope you're all happy now!!

LOL

STILL my favorite song!!!

:D

I play the piano, and worked hard to learn this bit!!

If you can, listen to the original version. The piano solo is phenomenal, and EC is playing the guitar alongside, and it's really good. At the end, he does the bird call, with the guitar only, no synethisers or special effects,
only real talent.

Maggie: the name just fit her... no other way to put it. Her registered name, Brandi's Lady Maggie May, comes from her mother's name (Brandi), the name the breeder called her (she was the 'Lady' of the litter), and her "full" name (Maggie May).

Funny story is that the academic dean of the college my parents work at invited us to Thanksgiving dinner one year with her family, and we all sat around discussing various things, and it came out that her nickname was "Maggie" (from Margaret), "just like Jim, Diana, and Nellie's new puppy!".
My mother said "uhh... I don't want to know this... but what's your middle name?". She responded "Mae". Uh-oh ... here comes that nice letter stating "you aren't needed anymore, sorry..." luckily she thought that was just great!

Athena and Artemis: two gerbils that overlapped into Maggie's puppy years. After a lot of begging, parents finally consented to two gerbils (sisters), provided I give them "dignified" names. Parents both have PhDs in classics, so Athena and Artemis. ;)

Windsor: horse. Race name, Tea Mug. Call name as a foal, Mugsy. Name when we bought him, Kyle. I was going to name him Wadsworth Blizzard (no idea what the call name would be) because on the day we went out to do the pre-purchase vet exam, driving back, there was a major icestorm (late March) while going through Wadsworth, OH. It somehow morphed into Windsor. I showed him as "Blanding's Pongo" (anyone get that one?)

Gypsy: cat I fostered. Came to me as Dr. Gonzo, but that name just couldn't stay. She had been moved around a lot, swapped hands a number of times, and when she came to me from a friend to be placed, another friend suggested "Gypsy" due to her past.

Guest Anonymous

Well I like really unquie names..

My two Doberman Pinschers are named

Prentice Pinscher Ichabod Krane " Ichabod"
Ichabod is a fawn & rust doberman pinscher that was a gift for my 5th anniversy present from my hubbie.. We were married on halloween, and sleepy hallow was always my fav. halloween story..

Prentice Pinscher Jeepers Creepers.. "Creeper"
Creeper is a black & Rust doberman pinscher and she is my very special girl... I love the song and the movie was creepy... and creeper is always sneeking up on my cats ever since she was a baby :evilbat:

[quote name='courtnek']Ok now you all got me started....I had to out put my old "Cream of Clapton" CD and listen to Layla!!! I hope you're all happy now!![/quote]

just to stray from topic I like that album too! :D

I think I like the acoustic version more, because it's more bluesy.

Our first Jack Russell already had her name before we got her, we thought Sassy would fit a Jacks personality !! So her official name is Sassafrass Louise. I got Louise from me always saying "Geez Louise" when something goes wrong !! :)
We named Maisy after we got her , she looked like a little mouse , so we named her after the kids show "Maisy Mouse". Her full name is Maisy Mae , and Mae just sorta went with it.
Gretchen Josephine, Her grandma's name was Greta, so it's kind of a spin off that name, and Josephine is my 89yr. old neighbors name ! She likes Gretchen the best so I gave her, her name !! :wink:
My last dog Nakita was half Akita, hence the name .... not very original I know !! :roll:

Im hopeless at names :-? I love Lector 'silence of the lambs' was my favourite movie Im going to steal that name for my next pup as Im so not good at picking names :o I named my male koolie Oliver , Ollie for short and the bitch I rescued the same year Millie I didnt realize at the time but Ollie was one of the mascots for the Sydney Olympics so millie was named after a mascot as well they were born in the same year 2000 . Their baby I called Mate as I always refer to my animals as buddy or mate so it was easy that way .Shady Lady got her name from shady being her colouring and lady cause she crosses her legs (I didnt name her) My husband has named his dogs after cars Troopy and cruiser (toyotas)
On the other note a leading sheep dog trainer recommends that you change a dogs name if you buy it older as it gets rid of any bad history that the dog has associated with that name and the way it was treated I did it with Millie as she was very neglected I also like to keep their names short and preferably not starting with s as I have so many commands that start with s and it helps prevent confusion . sit stay stop start etc :lol: